Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mockingbirds - A question of perspective

TWoodward

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mockingbirds - A question of perspective

I took these shots over the weekend. I wasn't overly concerned with the subject matter as I really wanted to test the level of detail I could achieve hand holding the Sigma 150 - 600 - with good technique the answer seems to be a lot of detail.

The issue for me at the time was to determine which background would enable me to see most detail. However, when I got home and started to review the shots I noticed that the white / sky background that was achieved by getting a little lower than the the subject appeared sterile and almost as if posed for in a studio. Whilst the more natural background, achieved by shooting towards woods, gave (as least to my eye), a much more natural and pleasing look although some detail is not as easily seen.

Do any of your more experienced guys have any opinions as to what makes a better photograph?

© TWoodward 2015

© TWoodward 2015

© TWoodward 2015

© TWoodward 2015

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mockingbirds - A question of perspective

I'm not a big fan of centered crop photos, unless a dramatic open beak or species interaction allows for that type of crop. Just my opinion. That said, I prefer the first and third as it's comped with the rule of thirds and it allows room in the image for the subject to face into.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mockingbirds - A question of perspective

I agree with Herb about the compositions. As far as the backgrounds, I think both can be effective depending on what you are trying to convey. The sky is good if you want to focus attention on the bird itself, it's feather detail, expression, colors, etc. Shooting against foliage, etc. can provide context, and convey a sense of the bird in relation to it's natural habitat. These types of backgrounds also can offer more options for contrasting the subject with the background (light bird against dark background, well lit bird against a background that is in shadow, various background colors or patterns, etc.). I think of the background as just another element that can be used to craft the image to your taste.

Jun 23, 2015 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.