Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Now I know what it means -- they saw a Sony at the end of the tunnel!

"42.4MP... ignoring medium format, who would've thought that we'd have to call that not class-leading? You can thank the Canon 5DS and 5DS R for that, which the a7R II falls short of with respect to resolution. And yet, in almost every other respect, the sensor in the a7R II is bound to outclass the 50.6MP sensors in Canon's latest high-resolution beasts."

Don't be mad at me. I use Canon gear almost exclusively. Canon produces some finest quality equipment, as does Sony. It's just that the word "impossible" appears in both places and is impossible () to ignore. Don't shoot the messenger

Edited on Jun 24, 2015 at 08:32 AM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

<yawn>

Will this thread generate more light than heat or more heat than light?

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Anything's impossible.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:02 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

howard wrote:
Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

How I know what it means.

"42.4MP... ignoring medium format, who would've thought that we'd have to call that not class-leading? You can thank the Canon 5DS and 5DS R for that, which the a7R II falls short of with respect to resolution. And yet, in almost every other respect, the sensor in the a7R II is bound to outclass the 50.6MP sensors in Canon's latest high-resolution beasts."

Don't be mad at me. I used Canon gear almost exclusively. Canon produces some finest quality equipment, as does Sony. It's just that the word "impossible" appears in both
...Show more

I read that article this morning, and I had to laugh at the example photo of the tulips... with the Sony he needed to merge two exposures AND use a 3-stop ND filter, and he still claims the Sony sensor is the only way to get this sort of dynamic range...

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM
jkashinsky

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

molson wrote:
I read that article this morning, and I had to laugh at the example photo of the tulips... with the Sony he needed to merge two exposures AND use a 3-stop ND filter, and he still claims the Sony sensor is the only way to get this sort of dynamic range...

Not the way I interpreted what he wrote in the article.

He used the 3 stop graduated neutral density filter and a single exposure.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

jkashinsky wrote:
Not the way I interpreted what he wrote in the article.

He used the 3 stop graduated neutral density filter and a single exposure.

Except where he mentioned he took one shot at f22 and one at f8 - by my count, that's two exposures... but maybe the Sony compressed them down to one?

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

molson wrote:
Except where he mentioned he took one shot at f22 and one at f8 - by my count, that's two exposures... but maybe the Sony compressed them down to one?

Apparently for DOF reasons. Shoulda used tilt Then it'd just be a single shot...with a GND.

Jun 23, 2015 at 02:42 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Well the OP got his moment on the forum, provided little if any new info, bravo

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Rishi didn't exposure bracket the shot. He took two exposures for better looking sunstars (f/22) and perhaps more DOF as someone wrote. (combining the f/8 and f/22 exposures)
Could this be taken with a Canon? Yes, if it wasn't windy. Because I would want to exposure bracket for better shadows. Tilt would remove focus bracketing out of the equation but it's not always possible.

© Rishi Sanyal

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:11 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Rishi didn't exposure bracket the shot. He took two exposures for better looking sunstars (f/22) and perhaps more DOF as someone wrote. (combining the f/8 and f/22 exposures)
Could this be taken with a Canon? Yes, if it wasn't windy. Because I would want to exposure bracket for better shadows. Tilt would remove focus bracketing out of the equation but it's not always possible.

A single shot with a 17mm TS-E on a 5D SR (with or without an ND grad) could easily accomplish the same thing... except it would show more detail.

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:18 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

molson wrote:
A single shot with a 17mm TS-E on a 5D SR (with or without an ND grad) could easily accomplish the same thing... except it would show more detail.

No kidding. It is either a laughable joke or a misinform impossible comment: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/samples/5DS-TulipSunrise-FullSize.jpg

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:55 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

"Even consumer-grade gear now produces lovely wide dynamic range images, with great colour and extremely low noise." — Michael Reichmann in "Rediscovering Craft" on Luminous Landscape. I agree.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

zlatko wrote:
"Even consumer-grade gear now produces lovely wide dynamic range images, with great colour and extremely low noise." — Michael Reichmann in "Rediscovering Craft" on Luminous Landscape. I agree.

Whereas I don't. Even pro-grade gear is capable of producing average colour with noticeable noise. Digital imaging is still in its infancy.

Jun 23, 2015 at 06:04 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Paul Mo wrote:
Whereas I don't. Even pro-grade gear is capable of producing average colour with noticeable noise. Digital imaging is still in its infancy.

Any gear can be used in a way that makes it fail ... or succeed. I see a heck of a lot of pros doing fine work with gear that somebody says is lacking in some respect, even consumer gear.

Jun 23, 2015 at 06:26 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

zlatko, I agree with us both. Personally, I am just at a critical stage.

Jun 23, 2015 at 08:07 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Ive heard Holgas are coming strong this year.

Jun 23, 2015 at 08:21 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

The best part of this is that we can argue back and forth about 2 (5DS & A7R II) cameras which have so much more ability than we thought possible just a few years ago. And they both take Canon glass!

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

Phantom Medic wrote:
Ive heard Holgas are coming strong this year.

It's about time. What with all this high res.jizz flying about. Bring back crummy art school I.Q.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

gocolts wrote:
The best part of this is that we can argue back and forth about 2 (5DS & A7R II) cameras which have so much more ability than we thought possible just a few years ago. And they both take Canon glass!

+1, more toys/tools options for us. Both take canon glass, A7Rii will take more lights and it won't contaminate them the way canon cam usually does. It's a win-win situation for most of us. You are absolutely right, no one back us up two years ago.

Jun 24, 2015 at 04:04 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Remember the Canon "See Impossible" campaign?

mttran wrote:
A7Rii will take more lights and it won't contaminate them the way canon cam usually does. .

You mean like the dull purple-grey sky in the tulip photo above?

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:24 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.