Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Headed up to 12,000' to try and catch the aurora tonight, and it got really good for about 12 minutes (it was amazing how fast it came on, almost like a light switch!

You can see a few more here, and there's more to come once I compile the sequences into a time-lapse.

Enjoy,

Jeff

5D MkIII w/EF16-35/2.8L

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:26 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

It's nice work. I got the alert yesterday evening but it has been clouded over here all night and expecting rain tomorrow night.

Please post ISO, aperture and shutter time.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:47 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Having a handy exifViewer extension in your browser can be helpful when someone does either post manually or isn't an FM supporter (upload & sell = OFF).
Of course, they need to maintain the data and not strip it out. Never liked the concept of posting exif-stripped work. To me, if you post on FM the exif should remain in tact. JMTC

FYI: ISO=3200, f/4, 13 sec

Jun 23, 2015 at 08:46 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Glad you could catch it. I got a bunch of notifications but we have 24hrs of light so not going to happen right now

Jun 23, 2015 at 09:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Beautiful.

Jun 23, 2015 at 09:07 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Don't get an Aurora Borealis very often as far south as Colorado. I do remember when I was in high school (not actually in the stone age but close - probably late '60s We got an amazing display out in front of the home lodge (about 10,200 feet). It lasted maybe 30 minutes and I was totally blown away. I know there is a valid scientific explanation, but still mystery informs our universe both with beauty and deadly grace.

Great shot. Would you share your settings please?

Robert

Had to laugh at our Yukon representative's remark. Yep, not much going with the night sky this time of year

Jun 23, 2015 at 09:19 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Beautiful!

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Sorry guys, I was out until 3am, and had a shoot this morning at 9. Need more coffee…

Looks like the EXIF question got answered (did I also get thrown under the bus for not being an 'FM supporter'), so I won't elaborate any further unless there is a specific question.

Unfortunately the colors were difficult to discern visually, as you might expect from the exposure data. That being said, it was a stunning experience; I had my back turned during a vertical stitch sequence with my second camera, as as i rotated back around the display had gone from minimal to a cascade of wispy white things seemingly falling out of the sky for 30-degrees overhead. As it started to fade I felt like a little kid, hoping it would return. I can see why people travel the world to try and capture such experiences, it was truly amazing.

Cheers!

Jun 23, 2015 at 02:40 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aurora Borealis from Loveland Pass, CO (6/22/15)

Awesome!

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.