Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Reneemarie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Hello all,
I was wondering if you might know what happened to my lens. It looks like one of the inside elements is smashed or separating from the side?!? I don't know how I could have done it "inside" the lens!! It's a Tokina 16-28 f2.8 FX on a D700. I have not noticed image quality deterioration but the other day I was doing some real estate photography and my autofocus stopped engaging on quite a few occasions. I had to turn cam off then back on again. Today I cleaned the contacts in the cam and didn't have any focusing issues, but I noticed that smashed looking spot inside the lens. ;( Could that affect autofocus? Worth repairing?

Thanks for looking,
Renee

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=954824571206528&set=a.254295577926101.63925.100000369816270&type=1
Sent from my iPhone

Jun 22, 2015 at 09:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

image cannot be seen.
suggest it be shipped off to Tokina and they will give their prognosis.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

My first thoughts on this.....

I wouldn't use it until I had it looked at....so that I wouldn't cause any further damage.
You need to determine the value of the lens (used market price) and determine if repairs
would be more...then you know it would be better to buy another (or upgrade) and sell your
"damaged" one for parts to help recoup cost of its replacement.

Anything from a solid bump...to a jolt would have been able to dislodge the glass from its mount.
Now it is attempting to work..but gets hung up on items inside.

Sorry to hear of your situation...and hope the best in whatever you decide to do.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Yikes, it looks like the lens was dropped.

EBH

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

ok now i see it. something went way wrong there and it was impact related. i'd be looking to replace. yes the damage itself is permanent to the glass. is there any external evidence of taking a hit?

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Renee...that looks like its chipped!

Curious, did you buy the lens used? Buy it new and maybe bump/shock it really hard?

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Reneemarie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Thanks guys. I bought it used years ago and it's always been stored in my padded camera bag/case. I've never dropped it or hit it on anything and the element in question is deep inside (under the very domed outer element like a fisheye). Nothing is floating around in there, like glass shards. I did use it tonight for about 30 pics and didn't have trouble with the focusing or clarity. I guess I'll wait for it to complete croak then buy something else. It was $600 when I bought it used. A repair that extensive probably won't be worth the money.

Thanks for your opinions!

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Looks like element separation. Usually when these occur on the edge of sandwiched elements, there is no visible image degredation. However there is a possibility that the separation will spread around the elements. I'd send it to Tokina along with the purchase receipt and see if they honor the warranty or perhaps provide a discounted service.

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:23 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

Agree....looks like separation now that I look again. Here's info from Tokinas site -
TOKINA Lenses carry a three or one year limited warranty (all discontinued lenses carry a one-year warranty).

They do state that the warranty card and copy of purchase receipt be sent in for repair. :/

Keep us posted and let us know if they warranty it, should you send it in.

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is my lens permanently damaged?

it was purchased used.

Jun 23, 2015 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.