New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

photography4me

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

Is it just me or do other people have REALLY long download times from the camera to an iPhone Even with VGA for the image size selected, it's taking over 1 minute per image. When pairing the WU-1A & Nikon Df to my Android tablet, it only takes about 10 seconds to transfer an image from the Df to my tablet.

My iPhone works very well with my Fuji X-T1. Very quick transfers of the photos from the camera to my iPhone.

Are you experiencing these slow speeds when using the WU-1A when paired with an iPhone? (mine is a 5s by the way).

Jun 22, 2015 at 05:00 PM
mmorey79
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

I used the WU-1B, it was extremely slow to my iPad most times from my D600 and V2, but occasionally it seemed to work reasonably fast. Based on the reviews etc I think Nikon just really missed the mark/reliability with the "mobile wifi adapter" implementation. I think some folks had better luck with DSLRDashboard though?

Jun 22, 2015 at 05:02 PM
photography4me

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

Well at least it's not just me. It works reasonably well for controlling the camera remotely which is most important to me.

Jun 22, 2015 at 05:37 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

If you turn off the auto download feature it is fairly quick and you still get thumbnails of your images on your phone. Then you can later download the files you want to your phone.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:04 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

mmorey79 wrote:
I used the WU-1B, it was extremely slow to my iPad most times from my D600 and V2, but occasionally it seemed to work reasonably fast. Based on the reviews etc I think Nikon just really missed the mark/reliability with the "mobile wifi adapter" implementation. I think some folks had better luck with DSLRDashboard though?

So far, DSLRDashboard seems to be working fine with my D810 on Android, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I'll bless it. I did look at CamRanger, but when I found that I could save a few hundred dollars by going with DSLRDashboard, the choice was simple after researching what others thought of it. It does use the same TP-Link TL-MR3040 router that's used with CamRanger, which can be purchased for about $35.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:12 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WU-1A - Very long transfer times to iPhone

jancohen wrote:
So far, DSLRDashboard seems to be working fine with my D810 on Android, but it'll probably be a few weeks before I'll bless it. I did look at CamRanger, but when I found that I could save a few hundred dollars by going with DSLRDashboard, the choice was simple after researching what others thought of it. It does use the same TP-Link TL-MR3040 router that's used with CamRanger, which can be purchased for about $35.

That's what I'm using, tentatively with good results. I need more testing to confirm utility and reliability.

The MR3040 is a lump, but a smaller lump than the Nikon equivalent and about twenty times less expensive.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.