FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I've been in contact with Adobe support people on the Adobe Support forum. Basically they said, upgrade to CC is your answer. He suggested that I upgrade to 6.2.1 but my LR says I'm already running the latest version.

Anyone else solve this issue? Those who are using CC how does it run on your 5K iMac?

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:22 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

LeeSimms wrote:
I just got a loaded 5k (4.0g i7, 32gbRAM, SSD, 4gig video card) and LR runs surprisingly slow — even the latest version running 1.1 previews. Ugh.

wow, I am glad to know this, as I was thinking of trading in my top of the line 27 iMac non retina for the same model you got, I have zero issues with my iMac right now and my 5DIII files. it has the i7 3.4 32GB ram, 768 SSD and 2GB video card. I guess I will keep this computer a little longer since the only reason I wanted to upgrade was the nicer screen but it seems to be giving Lightroom issues.

Oct 18, 2015 at 03:43 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I really dont know whats going on, but I dont have problem with my 5K iMac, I did had some issues with LR and El Capitan, but after the update, everything is back to normal.

Oct 21, 2015 at 05:43 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

Resolution options are far outpacing graphics card performance ability right now. 4k/5k stuff is too much resolution for 95% of modern graphics cards to push comfortably, ESPECIALLY the mobile cards that go in mbp/imacs. I really don't comprehend why, except as a marketing gimmick, they are forcing 5k retina displays. The only graphics cards that can gracefully handle 4k AFAIK are the GTX980 variants and titan.

There was a tablet I was looking at a few years back, windows 8 and nice performance overall...except it had an ultra-high-resolution screen, and the graphics completely choked on it leading to stuttering/slow refresh times. Terrible idea IMO.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

And all this puts Apple in a bind with external monitors. If they made a 5k thunderbolt external, what could run it other than an ApplePro? No way could the AMD card in my 5k iMac run TWO monitors of like-resolution.

My 2012 MBP would choke at the thought of running a 5k external, but does fine running the legacy thunderbolt 27"

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

sgtbueno wrote:
I really dont know whats going on, but I dont have problem with my 5K iMac, I did had some issues with LR and El Capitan, but after the update, everything is back to normal.

Are you using LR CC or the desktop version? Are you also running an external display?

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

LeeSimms wrote:
And all this puts Apple in a bind with external monitors. If they made a 5k thunderbolt external, what could run it other than an ApplePro? No way could the AMD card in my 5k iMac run TWO monitors of like-resolution.

I keep forgetting about this because all of my previous MacPros had a separate vid card for each display, on the iMac there is but one card for both the 5K display and for additional display that you connect to it. My 2nd display is neither a 4 or 5k display just an old fashioned 1440 x 2560 NEC Multisync driven by the AMD Radeon R9 M295X.

Oct 21, 2015 at 02:40 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I dont use an external display, I was thinking about using my Dell but so far dont have the needs for it.

I use CC

MRomine wrote:
Are you using LR CC or the desktop version? Are you also running an external display?

Oct 22, 2015 at 04:21 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

sgtbueno wrote:
I dont use an external display, I was thinking about using my Dell but so far dont have the needs for it.

I use CC

Thanks

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:23 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I just got the new Skylake retina iMac, fully maxed out. Here are things that are slower than the three old iMac that I just replaced: brushes in Lightroom have a delay, cropping has a very slight delay, moving from picture to picture is substantially slower with the GPU on, with it off, culling is actually faster. But I'm going to make a new catalog, turn pfixer off, and make sure it's not my fault somehow, haha

Oct 28, 2015 at 01:37 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I just got the new Skylake retina iMac, fully maxed out. Here are things that are slower than the three old iMac that I just replaced: brushes in Lightroom have a delay, cropping has a very slight delay, moving from picture to picture is substantially slower with the GPU on, with it off, culling is actually faster. But I'm going to make a new catalog, turn pfixer off, and make sure it's not my fault somehow, haha

That must be supremely annoying.

Oct 28, 2015 at 02:33 AM
giddyup
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

ohsnaphappy wrote:

I'd send it back, seriously! Apple is no longer selling the 27 without retina, you have to buy it refurbished. I'm switching to PC rather than drinking the Apple kool ade, and I've been loyal to this brand for many years.

Oct 28, 2015 at 05:52 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I make separate catalogs for each wedding, so they never get that large anymore. Much better than what I used to do.

Cropping has a slight delay for me normally when starting up and closing the crop adjustment tool, I've learned to live with it. Brushes are virtually instant, moving between pictures is very fast.

Oct 28, 2015 at 09:58 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

Just saw this on Petapixel.
Maybe it will help? Can't hurt to try it.

Edited on Oct 28, 2015 at 09:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2015 at 01:05 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

ohsnaphappy wrote:

Which version of LR are you talking about? CC or desktop? Are you running another display off the iMac?

Oct 28, 2015 at 01:18 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

can you tell us about the drives on the old iMac and the nes Skylake one?

I am wondering if you have Fusion drives, and the issue is the smaller SSD component on the newer model Fusion drive(?)

Oct 28, 2015 at 01:27 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

I purchased a maxed out iMac 5k in June and it's been a huge let down. I edit more on my 13" MBP, and use the iMac whenever I need the screen real estate or to do heavy editing in Photoshop. Strongly considering selling it and building another PC this winter :/

Oct 29, 2015 at 05:39 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

MRomine wrote:
Which version of LR are you talking about? CC or desktop? Are you running another display off the iMac?

CC most updated version. Had to install the newest version since it was a brand new mac. No I'm not running an extra display

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:08 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 5k iMac + LR CC Lag Lag Lag

rw11 wrote:
can you tell us about the drives on the old iMac and the nes Skylake one?

I am wondering if you have Fusion drives, and the issue is the smaller SSD component on the newer model Fusion drive(?)

Like I said it's maxed out. It has the 1TB pci-e flash drive.

I'll be in post again soon, so I'll get back to everyone after I create a new catalog.

Oct 29, 2015 at 02:09 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.