New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Strong sling-strap?

Colin F
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strong sling-strap?

I just had a sling-strap fail. Fortunately I noticed it before it fully failed, I shudder at the thought of my 7DII and 500 f/4 suddenly falling to the ground - yikes!

I have found the sling-strap to be the best way to walk around with this 12 lb kit. The mono-pod is a close second. While walking, I always hold the foot of the lens and take off about 20% of the weight of the lens from the strap and my shoulder, and the only time it hangs fully free is if I’m standing still, needing both hands for some brief task.

So does anyone know of a sling-strap that can & will handle the heavier lenses, and that also offers generous padding/comfort on the shoulder?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strong sling-strap?

what sling strap "failed" and in what way?

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strong sling-strap?

sjms wrote:
what sling strap "failed" and in what way?

It was an Indigo Marble. They are very good for lighter kits, but apparently not up to the task for heavier lenses. They offer great service too, and are offering me a full refund.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/Paddywacked/Fred%20Miranda/P1070268_zpsva5z1fnq.jpg

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strong sling-strap?

I think you want a strap with metal hardware and is a single continuous piece of nylon webbing, i.e., pad is not sewn into it. I've had stitching on pads start to pull out and plastic break but a single piece of seatbelt webbing is darn tough. You can still use a shoulder pad but it needs to be an accessory pad that slides on and thus doesn't compromise the webbing. The Tenba strap comes close, with a single piece of 2" seal belt webbing and metal clips. The length adjustment doodad is plastic but I replaced mine with a metal one off an old Tamrac strap:

http://www.adorama.com/TBLPSS2BK.html

Jun 22, 2015 at 03:02 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strong sling-strap?

For my money, Upstrap is the most secure one on the market.

Jun 22, 2015 at 04:09 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strong sling-strap?

DanBrown wrote:

Thanks. I can't seem to see one there that is a sling-strap style which comes to a single clip point.

Jun 22, 2015 at 04:21 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strong sling-strap?

Colin F wrote:
Thanks. I can't seem to see one there that is a sling-strap style which comes to a single clip point.

You could get one of these and use it in conjunction with the upstrap to make it into the sling-type solution you are looking for.

Jun 22, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strong sling-strap?

mitesh wrote:
You could get one of these and use it in conjunction with the upstrap to make it into the sling-type solution you are looking for.

That's a nice little device. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for use with my 500mm lens, as I can't screw anything into the lens foot because that would eliminate the quick use of a tripod, and obviously using that devise in the body isn't possible with a big lens attached for balance; it needs to clip into the lens foot.

I presently have loop of extremely strong webbing which goes in the slot at the front of the lens foot, and the small, opening/locking carabiner type clip of the sling-strap clips into that. It balances well there.

Thanks for the tip though.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/Paddywacked/Fred%20Miranda/Foot_zpsdhli1fmx.jpg

Jun 22, 2015 at 05:27 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strong sling-strap?

Check out Upstrap straps.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:06 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strong sling-strap?

Norm Shapiro wrote:
Check out Upstrap straps.

See previous posts.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strong sling-strap?

DanBrown wrote:

Me too. I use the Upstrap SLR/LT HeavyDuty HD release, with Kevlar ends on my 500/4L IS and 300/2.8L IS; I have two sets of 'ends' so they're always attached to the two lenses, and I share a strap between them.

I much prefer using the two strap lugs on the lens over any single-point attachment system. Same for my camera straps.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:32 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strong sling-strap?

jcolwell wrote:
I much prefer using the two strap lugs on the lens over any single-point attachment system. Same for my camera straps.

Help me understand your system; do you use the two-clip method with a single strap that you wear over your shoulder and camera/lens off to the side, or do you use a traditional neck strap where the camera/lens is at your front?

I just had a look and the lugs on the lens are a full 4" back from the front slot that I presently use, so the balance will seemingly be way off.

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:42 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Strong sling-strap?

Colin F wrote:
That's a nice little device. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for use with my 500mm lens, as I can't screw anything into the lens foot because that would eliminate the quick use of a tripod, and obviously using that devise in the body isn't possible with a big lens attached for balance; it needs to clip into the lens foot.

I presently have loop of extremely strong webbing which goes in the slot at the front of the lens foot, and the small, opening/locking carabiner type clip of the sling-strap clips into that. It balances well there.

Thanks for the tip though.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/Paddywacked/Fred%20Miranda/Foot_zpsdhli1fmx.jpg

Hey Colin,

So assuming that I understand you correctly, could your solution be as simple as threading the desired strap's end loops through your carabiner clip and then clipping the carabiner to the reinforced loop on your lens foot? Something like:

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Strong sling-strap?

jcolwell wrote:

Colin F wrote:
Help me understand your system; do you use the two-clip method with a single strap that you wear over your shoulder and camera/lens off to the side, or do you use a traditional neck strap where the camera/lens is at your front?

I just had a look and the lugs on the lens are a full 4" back from the front slot that I presently use, so the balance will seemingly be way off.

I sling the strap either over a shoulder with the lens hanging nose-down at my side, or across my torso with the strap on one shoulder and the lens hanging nose-down on the opposite hip. In both cases, the top of the camera (i.e. the hot shoe) is against my body. For me, the balance is perfect because the lens hangs almost straight up and down. This minimizes the amount of clear space I need around me, and I can easily walk without it bopping around off my thighs.

Most of the time, I carry the 500/4L IS on a monopod + MH-01 head, slung over a shoulder, but that requires a lot of clear space around me to prevent accidental bystander punctures, especially when the pointy end is out.

I use "traditional" camera straps (UPstrap and Domke Gripper) for just about everything, but the largest camera I 'normally' carry around my neck is a Fuji X100S. Everything else hangs off a shoulder or across the torso. Usually, it's two cameras & lenses, with one hanging of each shoulder, and I 'cross them over' if I have to do some fancy scrambling around.

Jun 22, 2015 at 07:00 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Strong sling-strap?

mitesh wrote:
So assuming that I understand you correctly, could your solution be as simple as threading the desired strap's end loops through your carabiner clip and then clipping the carabiner to the reinforced loop on your lens foot?

Possibly. The opening clip was integral to the strap, so presently there's just the small loop on the foot , so clipping in two strap-ends might work, as long as the strap could then be used over one's shoulder like a sling-strap.

Jun 22, 2015 at 07:04 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Strong sling-strap?

jcolwell wrote:
I sling the strap either over a shoulder with the lens hanging nose-down at my side, or across my torso with the strap on one shoulder and the lens hanging nose-down on the opposite hip. In both cases, the top of the camera (i.e. the hot shoe) is against my body. For me, the balance is perfect because the lens hangs almost straight up and down. This minimizes the amount of clear space I need around me, and I can easily walk without it bopping around off my thighs.

Given that I'm 5' 6" and 150 lbs, do you think that would work for me?

Most of the time, I carry the 500/4L IS on a monopod + MH-01 head, slung over a shoulder, but that requires a lot of clear space around me to prevent accidental bystander punctures, especially when the pointy end is out.

Heh heh, yes, I sometimes use the monopod, but I sure dislike shooting birds with it; it's a pain when the bird suddenly appears lower or higher than your set plane. I find myself dreaming of the gimbal & tripod sitting back in the truck.

Jun 22, 2015 at 07:11 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Strong sling-strap?

I use an Uncle Mikes Rifle Sling as the "shoulder" section of my sling strap, and standard nylon web as the bottom portion. I also use a rifle sling swivel with the BlackRapid Fastenr3 (the solid one). Not with a 500, but with a 70-200 and my 300 2.8 it works very well. I don't think I would trust the sling swivel and BlackRapid stud with the weight of a 500, but the shoulder sling would be fine.

Paul

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Strong sling-strap?

Hey Mitesh, that is drop-dead sexy 'biner you got there... Where might a fella find one like that?

Paul

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Strong sling-strap?

Paulthelefty wrote:
Hey Mitesh, that is drop-dead sexy 'biner you got there... Where might a fella find one like that?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not sure where you'd find just the carabiners. What you see pictured is actually the Mindshift Gear Tripod Suspension Kit. I bought a bunch of odds and ends from someone and this was thrown in. Wish I could be of more help!

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Strong sling-strap?

Colin F wrote:
Given that I'm 5' 6" and 150 lbs, do you think that would work for me?

I think it's more a matter of strength and conditioning than height. If the single-point sling works for you, then the two-point strap should, too.

Colin F wrote:
...I sometimes use the monopod, but I sure dislike shooting birds with it; it's a pain when the bird suddenly appears lower or higher than your set plane. I find myself dreaming of the gimbal & tripod sitting back in the truck.

That's why I mentioned the RRS MH-01 monopod head; it lets you easily change elevation angle and maintain weight support, while tracking a subject. I have a lever QR clamp on top of the MH-01 so I can quickly drop the monopod if I want to convert to handheld shooting. It works great.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.