Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

chez wrote:
When you sign up it's for a year subscription that you pay monthly. If you stop part way, you get charged only half the remaining amount. You get to pocket the other half. Sure, you lose access to the applications...but you get out if your yearly subscription with only 1/2 the remaining cost.

Adobe could have said...too bad, our agreement was for a yearly subscription and you owe us the full amount remaining on your lease.

Remember it's your choice to stop using the application...and in doing so, you get back 1/2 the remaining lease. So yes...the subscriber gets back money which
...Show more

I agree a deal is a deal. But please don't sugar coat the wording of the agreement and make it sound like the canceling subsrciber is receiving bonus for skipping out early. It is not a bonus but a penalty for early cancelation.

I don't see how you equate a paymet of a 50% payoff for receiving nothing in return is "getting something back" .... To me that is less in my pocket, not more, and is exaserbated by the abesebce of use of the software as well ... The only entity in the deal with more money in their pocket after the fact is Adobe, Inc. not the subscriber.

Sorry, but you are trying to make sound as though Adobe is behavng like a benevolent benefactor in this transaction. They are not.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Sounds like many people don't read the full ToS.... :/

Joe Marquez wrote:
I've been perfectly happy with my standalone LR 5.7 and PS CS6 versions. However, I recently bought a Nikon J5 and in order to work with raw files in LR I have to upgrade to LR 6 or LR CC. I suspect this will be true for any future camera purchase no longer supported by LR 5. Adobe is more than nudging me to make an upgrade decision if I want to continue with my current workflow.

Ya know, I kinda understand your point. More or less being "strong armed" for further updates. The cost-to-update ratio seems higher. And I suspect Adobe is taking a cue from the video game world. A couple years back, there was a new version of a very popular game that came out. When it was discovered that one must have an internet connection in order to verify/play, the gaming world exploded in fury. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this whole CC thing just stinks of something similar, while trying to capitalize on profit.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Thanks everyone. Probably gonna go the CC subscription route. Damn you Adobe.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:42 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

butchM wrote:
I agree a deal is a deal. But please don't sugar coat the wording of the agreement and make it sound like the canceling subsrciber is receiving bonus for skipping out early. It is not a bonus but a penalty for early cancelation.

I don't see how you equate a paymet of a 50% payoff for receiving nothing in return is "getting something back" .... To me that is less in my pocket, not more, and is exaserbated by the abesebce of use of the software as well ... The only entity in the deal with more money in their pocket
...Show more

Your glass half empty view again Butch.

When you signed up for a year lease, you agreed to pay 12 monthly payments at say $10 / month. That is you agreed to pay $120. Now you decided you don't want to use Adobe products after say 4 months. Instead of Adobe taking the rest of the money $80 which you agreed to in your yearly lease contract, Adobe is letting you off with only a $40 payment...that is they are giving you back $40 from your original contract.

This is not sugar coating Butch. You signed a contact with Adobe for $120 for a yearly lease...you are breaking that lease and Adobe is giving you back money which you agreed to pay the day you signed the lease.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Joe Marquez wrote:

welcome the koolaid tastes nice

but I will say again if your subscribing just to get new camera support you can get it via the DNG tool . the process engine is the same in LR6/CC as it was in LR5 .

if its to get the new tools now and in the future then fine do it . I did

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:39 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Joe Marquez wrote:

I know how you feel. I was vehemently against the CC model when it was first announced. This was before the photography program was around. That original plan was a total ripoff vs. the previous upgrade path. The photography program fixed the price issue, but it appeared to be a special price for a while. When the $9.99 become the 'standard' price, I locked in. I've been a subscriber for a year, and frankly it's really nice. No sticker shock when purchasing the upgrades, and nice features. If Adobe ever decides to jack the price up, I'll go back to using CS6 and I'll switch to Capture One for my RAW development, since I keep that up to date anyway, as I use it for some images.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:58 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

chez wrote:
Your glass half empty view again Butch.

No. Not in the least. Your analogy is definitely half empty because you conveniently forget to mention one extremely important factor.

Adobe may be willing to accept a half fee for early departure, however, they are offering zero, zip nada, zilch ... NOTHING in return for the balance of the duration of the subscription.

Your careful choice of words try to make it sound as though Adobe is being gracious ... they are not ... in your very analogy ... Adobe is letting the subscriber off the hook for half rate (Which of course both parties agreed to) ... BUT ... the subscriber receives NOTHING after the month in which they cancel.

If Adobe would allow the subscriber to use the software for four of the remaining months after the buyout of the contract ... then, and only then would your square peg fit into the round hole analogy you offer.

The transaction is a PENALTY not a REFUND.

Look up the definitions, they are quite different. And yes ... you are trying to portray a negative monetary transaction for the subscriber as a positive gain ... that is sugar coating. Period.

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:54 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

butchM wrote:
No. Not in the least. Your analogy is definitely half empty because you conveniently forget to mention one extremely important factor.

Adobe may be willing to accept a half fee for early departure, however, they are offering zero, zip nada, zilch ... NOTHING in return for the balance of the duration of the subscription.

Your careful choice of words try to make it sound as though Adobe is being gracious ... they are not ... in your very analogy ... Adobe is letting the subscriber off the hook for half rate (Which of course both parties agreed to) ... BUT ... the
...Show more

Let's try something else. Let's say you rent out a room to someone on a monthly basis. The person pays you $500 the 1st of every month. The renter decides after only 1 week, they want to leave. Now let's say you are a good guy and give back say $200 back to this renter because he is leaving part way through his contract. So the renter is getting $200 back, is not having the privilege of staying in the room anymore...just like someone canceling their subscription with Adobe early.

If you were this renter, would you feel ripped off getting $200 back from your contract? Would you feel hard done by not being able to stay in the room after you decided to leave? Do you think anyone would ever refund part of your rent if you left on your on accord part way through the month?

Why then do you feel Adobe is ripping you off by giving you part of your payments back even though you made a contract with Adobe to pay for a full year of subscription. If you want to continue to use Adobe products, just simply adhere to the contract you signed and keep paying for the rest of the year. If you truly don't want to use Adobe products anymore...then stop and Adobe gives part of your agree to monies back. Seems very logical to me...but you and I see the glass differently, at least when it comes to the big bad Adobe.

Jun 24, 2015 at 09:12 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

chez wrote:
Let's try something else. Let's say you rent out a room to someone on a monthly basis. The person pays you $500 the 1st of every month. The renter decides after only 1 week, they want to leave. Now let's say you are a good guy and give back say $200 back to this renter because he is leaving part way through his contract. So the renter is getting $200 back, is not having the privilege of staying in the room anymore...just like someone canceling their subscription with Adobe early.

If you were this renter, would you feel ripped off getting
...Show more

Once again you simply choose to gloss over the issue that is the topic of discussion.

This latest analogy of yours is even further off the path of this discussion.

1. If you cancel a new CC subscription within the first month ... not only will Adobe refund the fee for that month ... they will also allow you to use the software fully until the end of that month. So your reference to a boarder leaving after one week off the mark. It doesn't fit.

That is a gracious gesture.

2. I NEVER, not once, EVER stated Adobe was "ripping off" anyone. I never said the agreed upon terms were unfair. In fact I clearly stated the opposite. (Remember when I said , "I agree a deal is a deal," earlier in the discussion? If you believe otherwise, that is purely a result of your own imagination and incorrect observation. Now who's glass is half empty?

3. The actual Adobe cancellation policy states:

Cancellation
We'd hate to see you go, but if you cancel within the first 30 days, we'll give you a full refund. Otherwise, you'll be billed 50% of your remaining contract obligation. If you ever need to cancel, just contact Customer Support.

(Did you notice Adobe even distinguishes the transaction under discussion as billing the customer ... not a refund?)

I merely pointed out what you consider a refund is actually a penalty for early cancellation. Adobe is not "giving" any money back to anyone, they are simply willing to accept and collect only half of the remaining fee, for which they offer nothing in return to the subscriber except fond memories of the transaction. Yet you simply refuse to admit the difference.

Sorry, but your "logic" is flawed, as well as your analogy. Keep trying though, you may hit the target sooner or later.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

butchM wrote:
Once again you simply choose to gloss over the issue that is the topic of discussion.

This latest analogy of yours is even further off the path of this discussion.

1. If you cancel a new CC subscription within the first month ... not only will Adobe refund the fee for that month ... they will also allow you to use the software fully until the end of that month. So your reference to a boarder leaving after one week off the mark. It doesn't fit.

That is a gracious gesture.

2. I NEVER, not once, EVER stated Adobe was "ripping off" anyone.
...Show more

Butch...it amazes me that your view is always right and others is always wrong. Must be great to have such vision.

When you signed up for a years subscription, you have a contract with Adobe to pay them $120 for the year. You can choose to pay them all of it at once or in monthly installments.

If you want to cancel the contract before the year is up...YOU are the one breaking this contract. Adobe is refunding YOU half the remaining payments...which you agreed you would make for the entire year. The contract YOU signed was for an entire year and YOU want to get out of that contract early. Adobe is refunding YOU 1/2 the remaining payments...yes they are refunding you the money because YOU entered a year subscription contract when YOU signed up.

Go try rent a pad on a yearly lease and get out of that contract after say 5 months...guess what happens.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

chez wrote:
Butch...it amazes me that your view is always right and others is always wrong. Must be great to have such vision.

When you signed up for a years subscription, you have a contract with Adobe to pay them $120 for the year. You can choose to pay them all of it at once or in monthly installments.

If you want to cancel the contract before the year is up...YOU are the one breaking this contract. Adobe is refunding YOU half the remaining payments...which you agreed you would make for the entire year. The contract YOU signed was for an entire year and
...Show more

What amazes me is how short your attention span is. No one is discussing "renting a pad" ... we are discussing a subscription to software ... not leasing real estate. It would be awesome if you could stay on the same page, not comparing apples to oranges. You keep pitching though ... sooner or later, if you are persistent, you'll stumble onto an analogy that actually fits the discussion.

I have NEVER disputed that when a subscriber cancels a subscription, it is breaking the contract. Not once have I ever indicated otherwise. Yet you insist my intent is otherwise ... Do you ever actually read the comments you respond to? Or do you simply type without regard to the actual details of the discussion?

My contention with your premise, is now, and has always been ... Adobe is NOT "giving money back" to a subscriber who cancels a subscription before the term. Adobe is actually imposing a penalty. In one of your previous analogies (there are so many they do become a bit confusing) you were correct that the remainder of the contract, the cancelation would end by the subscriber paying an equivalent of four months subscription ... for which the subscriber receives nothing in return. That my friend, is a penalty ... not a bonus of more cash in their pocket.

I have never said it was unfair or not agreed upon that the penalty is imposed ... I'm simply not glamorizing the issue to make it more appealing. It is what it is ... it is not a magnanimous gesture on Adobe's part, it is not a windfall for the canceling subscriber ... it is a penalty for early cancelation. Period.

If you don't believe me, adopt the same exact policy with your personal clients (not your product manager day job clients) then query your customers if the terms for cancellation is a refund ... or a penalty? I think you'll soon discover most reasonable folks will disagree with your premise.

It is not my problem you are unwilling or are incapable of recognizing the difference between a penalty and a refund.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

It's useless to try to reason with "adobe chez"

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Quite frankly I'm not too worried about a short term cancellation penalty or partial refund. I'm more concerned about long term viability, cost and access to my photo edits once down this slippery slope. Again, I have the mindset of a former Aperture user.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM
ripkoken
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

What is really amazing about these threads is Adobe has complete control over the situation, and users have bought into it lock, stock and barrel. Not only do they penalize you for early subscription cancellation, but they have you buying into the old concept of mainframe operations, oh by the way if your internet connection goes down you are cooked.

The other thing they did was drop their support for earlier software versions. Must be nice to just drop your support and say, "tough luck" to all the customers with older versions. That's like an auto manufacturer saying your car is 3 years old so we are no longer making parts for it...too bad!

To get users to buy into their new rental philosophy, Adobe has offered their products at a cheap price. Can't wait to see their price increase after you become comfortable with this mode of operation. They'll be laughing all the way to the bank and you will be so hooked you can't change...gotcha!

No doubt about it, Adobe products are very good, but when you don't have the courage to hold your ground as a customer for things that are in your best interest...the outcome is very predictable.

So the answer to the original question is, just sign up for a full 12 months and get it over.

Jun 25, 2015 at 06:30 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Just make sure you use the hell out of the software in order that it makes economic sense. You'll be avoiding the opposite, such as those who buy a gym membership and soon cease going, meanwhile their credit card is tagged for the monthly payment like clockwork.

Jun 27, 2015 at 05:25 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

>> oh by the way if your internet connection goes down you are cooked.
>>>

Nonsense! THAT would only become an issue if your Internet stayed down for more than a month!

. . . which could happen if you failed to make your monthly payment to your electricity and Internet service providers although you could always pop-into a nearby coffee shop and log-on there if your own internet connection was down for that long.

Jun 27, 2015 at 03:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

AnnJS wrote:
>> oh by the way if your internet connection goes down you are cooked.
>>>

Nonsense! THAT would only become an issue if your Internet stayed down for more than a month!

. . . which could happen if you failed to make your monthly payment to your electricity and Internet service providers although you could always pop-into a nearby coffee shop and log-on there if your own internet connection was down for that long.

Yep . been using LR and PS on my macbook air without a connection most of the week . some people seem to think the word CLOUD means needing to be connected to the cloud all the time .
if you want that sort of experience GO BUY A CHROME BOOK

Jun 27, 2015 at 03:11 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

"Nonsense! THAT would only become an issue if your Internet stayed down for more than a month!"

And if you're subscribing for a year at at time, it only checks on your status every 99 days, so most of us can actually go over three months without being connected. But, in the rare occasion that you can't be connected for the status check, you can do it manually over the phone. So, there are options.

Jun 27, 2015 at 03:40 PM
ripkoken
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Has Anyone Cancelled Adobe Creative Cloud?

Would that or could cause you to miss a deadline for having work prepped and ready for the customer?

Jun 27, 2015 at 05:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.