FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Riverbed Sunset

Milan Hutera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Riverbed Sunset

Finally a post from me in the landscape forum after quite some time.

I shot this sunset yesterday on the temporarily dried out riverbed. I was always fascinated by these dead trunks, that are usually submerged in water. But this recent drought has dried out our longest river considerably, so I just waited till these trees are fully accessible by foot. And yesterday's cold and windy weather generated nice sunset colors.

This is a blend of 2 photos using the new Lightroom HDR feature. I tried it on some of my archived photos, but sadly the results were bad or downright awful. This is the first photo I'm happy with - quality wise. The slight glow on the middle tree is pretty minimal on the full version and was only enhanced by the resize for the web and sharpening.

With all the Canon 5Ds and 11-24L photos, I'm feeling slightly inferior posting my 1D Mark IV and Canon 16-35L photos. But hopefully you'll like it. Any C&C appreciated.

http://milanhutera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/riverbed-sunset.jpg

See it on my website with more info: http://milanhutera.com/portfolio/riverbed-sunset/

Jun 21, 2015 at 05:30 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Riverbed Sunset

Very good. Excellent composition, color, exposure.

Jun 22, 2015 at 09:59 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Riverbed Sunset

Hey Milan,

It is great to see you posting a landscape photo, it's been a while!

I like the look of this one, nice color and lighting. But for me, the roots/branches on these trees are too busy and distract from the shot, especially the tree structure that is on the left side and further back.

Jim

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Riverbed Sunset

Nice use of diagonals

Morris

Jun 22, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Riverbed Sunset

Thanks for your comments

Jim - unfortunately all tree roots are quite busy There were some trunks without roots there, but they were so long I wouldn't be able to make any sensible composition.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Riverbed Sunset

Very nice feeling to the light on this one, HDR or not. Don't feel bad posting a pic from your 'old' camera. No one can tell the difference on the internet.

Jun 24, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Riverbed Sunset

Nicely done!

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:05 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Riverbed Sunset

Thanks Jeffrey - I was really enthusiastic about Lightroom's HDR feature, because it was supposed to produce very natural looking photos. I'm not after those horrible Photomatix attrocities and I saw this tool as the easier-to-do-and-rework method of blending instead of masks in Photoshop. In this case it worked nicely. And I'm sure this photo would produce beautiful 20x30" or even 24x36" print. The quality is quite high.

Ipanematom - thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Jun 27, 2015 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.