Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

ddjohns1

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with this display-- it is a 3840x2160 IPS display, and I'm thinking about buying an HP system with this monitor instead of a an iMac retina, so I'd like to understand how it compares to the iMac Retina display. It's a bit less resolution but 4k shoudl be plenty for me.

I can configure an HP Envy Phoenix 810qe with 4.0GHz i7, a 256GB SSD, 2G ATI Graphics, two 3TB hard drives and 16G DRAM, for $1,400 (through a discount program my company offers) plus $700 for the above monitor, whereas an identically configured iMac with a 6TB external drive is $2,750 + $250 = $3,000.

I've heard the 5k Retina display in teh iMac is great, so just wondering how the HP compares, or if there are other 27inch monitors in the same price range that are as good or better than the iMac retina display.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2015 at 01:14 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

i shoot professionally and edit my images with a lowly NEC PA271W. but then it concentrates on color accuracy. as in 97% Adobe color gamut and is highly controlled with the LUTs in hardware.

it will depend on what your priorities are.

a 5K mac display just makes sRGB but is pleasing to the eye.

i have no idea about HPs product. HP used to have some nice pro screens.

Jun 20, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Ron Hu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

Look for monitors that can do 1B colors support. That should be 10-bit color to the monitor. Then if your graphics card can enable 10-bit color and you are on a new OS with application support you should be good to go.

R

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

Windows is a bit awkward with high-ppi screens, but 4k on a 27" has a slightly more manageable 163ppi rather than the 220ppi of a retina screen. Still, you can expect to see some small text, icons and pictures. Scaling them up can cause images to look softer in a web browser than they really are. Scaling the image correctly results in text that is getting too small to read. It would help if the browsers let us scale images independently of text, but they don't. Ps CC has a setting that replaces certain icons, etc., with a set that is larger to restore the normal appearance to a greater or lesser extent. Lr also lets you tweak the interface size in coarse adjustments.

Browsers have their own way of handling high dpi, but they don't even give you 1:1 pixel mapping when you reset them to "100%" unless you are using a 100 dpi screen.

Some Windows tweaking can be used but it works in addition to some of these other tweaks in software. I have been unable to get everything right on my 212ppi Surface Pro 3 screen.

Be sure that your graphics card supports 4k output with the connection(s) required by the monitor. There may or may not be some tiling going on as if the screen was two 2k screens side by side. An HDMI cable might have to be version 1.4 or better. A display port cable might have to be version 1.2 or better. etc. Check the user manual or check with the dealer selling you the hardware.

I prefer a smaller screen because 27" is rather large real estate that was once necessary mainly because we could not get more than about 100ppi, and more inches was the only way to see more pixels. Now that has changed but Windows hasn't quite caught up, and/or else software such as Ps hasn't caught up.

You can expect Lr to slow down when dealing with extra pixel data, but a decent graphics card should compensate. Check yours out for suitable performance, not only with enough memory to do the job (2GB should be tons) but also the ability to run 4k at 60Hz refresh rate and the ability of the GPU to run Lr Develop module graphics acceleration.

On the plus side, it will be very nice to look at large photos so long as you see them pixel-for-pixel. i.e. don't let a browser or windows do any sloppy enlargements.

- Alan

Jul 02, 2015 at 09:04 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HP Z27s 27-inch Display?

I haven't used this screen, but my main display is a 24" HP IPS panel, and I love it. I also have a Dell 24" IPS as a second display and prefer the two monitor setup to a single 27".

Jul 02, 2015 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.