New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 50D

Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 50D

Hi there

I have a 50D that works pretty well, except that I can't use CF cards, no matter the card is (Sandisk, Lexar, 8Gb, 16 GB, 32 GB etc)

In fact the only card I can use is a Pro-flash 8GB

Evertime I put a a new CF card in, its says that I can't format the card, and I can't make photos at all.

I've tried to change de firmware, but I can't change it; the camera don't allow me to change it.
I reset all the camera defalut settings, but it didn't change a thing.

Did you experienced something similar?
Any clue what is wrong?

thanks

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:04 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 50D

Firmware - You should be able to use the EOS Utility software to update. Make sure your camera's main battery is 'fully' charged as the update can take quite a long time. Also you might replace the clock battery just in case it's getting old.

One question, has Magic Lantern been used on this camera, is it on the CF card you are using?

Also, on my 40D and 50D, when I've needed to do a total reset I remove both batteries and wait at least 30 minutes or more. You will loose all previous settings but it can clean things up...possibly.

As for the card, look in the camera's card reader to see if any pins are out of alignment or bent, this isn't likely if the 8gb card works okay; can you record/delete images or reformat the card?

I've heard that the camera's card reader can go bad, if it is you need to get it to a repair shop, either Canon or a local 3rd party shop.

This card issue has not happened to me just yet, cross fingers, good luck finding a solution, keep us posted when you get it fixed...someone else might benefit from your experiences.

Cheers,
Jerry

Jun 19, 2015 at 08:49 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 50D

Extremely good advice above.

The fact one card works is good news

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 50D

Yeah I wonder if the only card that works has pin stuck in it . If so its probably making contact where anything else obviously isn't

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:50 AM
jay125
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 50D

Mine wasn't a firmware issue. I thought that as well, but even after updating the firmware, I still had the issue. I came to realize that I needed added pressure when seating the CF card. There were no broken pins, but maybe the age of the body and having the cards removed and replaced "x" amount of times had something to do with it?

Jun 21, 2015 at 02:42 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 50D

thanks again guys

Jun 27, 2015 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.