New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Panning - does it work?

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panning - does it work?

This image has characteristics I really like and some I don't like. I'm curious if others like/dislike what I like/dislike. Is the image worth anything? Does it hold interest?

Thanks much for looking...

keith

Schooner True Love by Keith, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2015 at 07:19 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panning - does it work?

I agree with ya, Keith.

The green cast from the water is a little strange feeling. I dig the sense of movement conveyed, but I wish the flag was whipping behind the boat to slam it home. I think a wider crop here would be nice.

I like it, though.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panning - does it work?

Thank you Jeff for the comments. The boat was moving slowly and making a wide turn to its dock on which I was standing, the air was dead calm, and the time was close to or just after actual sunset so the water may well have been green. I could get sophistocated and adjust the green but if I adjust the WB for the whole scene that way the boat turns blue and the boat was definitely white. OTOH if I make the boat pure white, the other colors go very wonky. The biggest problem I have with it is the cutoff bowsprit -- a result of aiming inaccuracy while panning. Aside from the green I really like the abstractness in the reflection and the sort of natural vignette . The SOOC has just a little more room on the left and quite a bit more on the right which I cropped out for symmetry but could restore.

Certainly not a perfect image (I have yet to shoot one that is! :-) ) but it has a couple of things going for it. Those may be outweighed by the negatives and that's where opinions are valuable. Thanks again for looking.

Here's the SOOC, adjusted a little to remove some of the green in the water:

CX0A7506 by Keith, on Flickr

Jun 20, 2015 at 06:32 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panning - does it work?

Some appealing elements, but too many misses to work as a whole, as you know. Hard to be sure with the jpeg artifacts. but the pan speed might be a little off. Ironically, it's much harder to make a slow pan work than a fast pan. The bowsprit cutoff was a fairly big miss, as you mentioned, but I'd suggest it would probably look better with less boat reflection in the water and more mast. That would also move the centered lines of people detail lower in the frame for a better composition. Also, the white boat in the background was unfortunate.

If you look at the boat color in the OOC image, notice that the color varies along the length of the boat. You can't win going for a "white" boat without a significant selection effort to apply different corrections to different parts of the image.

(Note, the recreation bits are just to illustrate composition suggestion rather than as a solution for being cropped in the original.)

Jun 20, 2015 at 04:15 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panning - does it work?

Thanks Karen. For panning it was the best of three or four -- and I think you're right that slow panning presents more difficulty than fast panning. Agreed on the white boat in the background. I still like some aspects of the image but overall, it's kind of meh.

Thanks,
keith

Jun 20, 2015 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.