Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

ccougar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

I am frustrated that the images I post of FM look terrible. They look good on my calibrated monitor with deep rich colors and near perfect exposure. I have tried saving the images using different profiles, but after posting in FM, they look washed out and over exposed. Images posted by other’s look great. What could be going wrong?

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

make sure to save them in sRGB format and depending on the software you use, embed the color profile into the image.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

Post something so we can see..otherwise..its the blind leading the blind.

Jun 19, 2015 at 01:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

On the face of it, it sounds like you're saving and posting your images in a wide gamut color space such as ProPhotoRGB, then viewing your images on a non color managed browser viewed on a standard sRGB gamut screen. This is all underscored when you say that other's images look great on your browser - if your screen is roughly sRGB and the images you're viewing are too, then, even without any active color management going on, the images are going to appear approximately correct, while yours are still going to be whacked.

What color space? Which browser or which platform?

Jun 19, 2015 at 01:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

You might also check your proof setup in case your viewing them in a diff space / profile. Occasionally, mine "reverts" to a diff one (bug or something).

Jun 19, 2015 at 01:49 PM
ccougar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

I'm still trying to sort this out. I have no problem with printing, just with the appearance of images I post on certain web sites such as FM. A always shoot in RAW and process my images in the ProPhoto working space. As a test, I am posting three images, each with a different embedded profile. I am curious to see the difference in their appearance in this site. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chuck

Embeded Profile: Adobe RGB

Embeded Profile: sRGB

Embedded Profile: Display

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:36 PM
ccougar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

Umm... There doesn't seem to be any different. That surprises me. I'll have to think about this some more.

Chuck

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

Def a color management issue.

FWIW....the last two (srgb and monitor) look the same to me. While the first one (argb) looks slightly washed out/less contrasty. This is while on my phone.

Some will say not to export an embedded profile, as untagged results in srgb assumption. Others say to embed. Im of the latter group. If calibrated to srgb, that explains why the monitor profile appears to be about the same to me.

What monitor out of curiosity....is it a wide gamut monitor?

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The images I post look terrible. Help.

If you're using a color managed browser and you've embedded profile in each image, and assuming you converted to the second and third profile and didn't Assign the profiles, then, of course, they will look the same. It's only when you're using a non color managed browser or upload to a site that strips profiles when you'd have an issue.

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.