New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Actual File Size For Crop Shooting in Raw Mode

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Actual File Size For Crop Shooting in Raw Mode

So I saw this mentioned in passing in a forum, and I just tried to read about it in the manual, but it is still confusing me.

So the question is, when shooting RAW, and selecting any of the crop shooting modes (1.3, 1.6, square) is it creating a smaller file or not? It seems like it would, but now I am not sure. Maybe that is only a feature of shooting jpeg? If the file size is saved the same and only the fact that the crop setting was used is saved in the metadata, then I guess this is really only a feature that changes the viewfinder view in composing and the amount of the image shown on the back LCD? Seems like a strange way to do it. I think saving card space with actually smaller files would have made a lot of sense. Perhaps this is why the fps rates don't go up when cropping?

Can someone enlighten me about this feature? It is far from a show stopper, but still seems like a lost opportunity if they don't save smaller RAWS using this feature.

ML

Jun 18, 2015 at 08:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Actual File Size For Crop Shooting in Raw Mode

As far as I understand it from reading on CPN Europe technical pages, the crop only creates a smaller jpeg. The RAW is just flagged with the crop and would automatically show as cropped when opened in DPP (not sure about LR and others). The RAW file size isn't changed.

The only way this function would have been useful to me is if it did store a smaller RAW file and allowed a higher FPS so you could shoot wildlife/birds at 1.6 crop and gain some FPS getting closer to the 7D2's FPS. 7 or 8 FPS would have been nice. But this isn't the case so that is disappointing.

Jun 18, 2015 at 09:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Actual File Size For Crop Shooting in Raw Mode

arbitrage wrote:
...The only way this function would have been useful to me is if it did store a smaller RAW file and allowed a higher FPS so you could shoot wildlife/birds at 1.6 crop and gain some FPS getting closer to the 7D2's FPS. 7 or 8 FPS would have been nice. But this isn't the case so that is disappointing.

Exactly.

Jun 18, 2015 at 09:12 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Actual File Size For Crop Shooting in Raw Mode

Well I knew they didn't increase the FPS in crop mode - I guess now I know why. Seems like unless the mirror mechanism design is contrained to 5fps, this sure would be a nice candidate for a firmware change. And even if they cannot increase the FPS I wish they would only store the smaller files. I am just not sure what exactly mRaw and sRaw do to the data, so I don't see myself using those very much if at all.

Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

ML

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.