New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

dhachey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

Out of curiosity I tried a brief comparison of Dehazing techniques on a particularly foggy image of the Taj Mahal. The image was taken with a Canon 6D using a 24-70 F2.8 Mk2 lens. Below in Order is the (1) original image with only minor exposure and black point adjustments in PS CC, (2) with more agressive tonal and contrast adjustment and sharpening in PS CC, (3) using only the Dehazing slider followed by mild sharpening in PS CC, and finally (4) using a trial version of DxO Optics Pro. All images were down sized to 2048 px. I don't profess to be an expert with DxO, so someone with more experience may achieve better results. I'm not going to offer my opinion as to a favorite at this point, but prefer to let the collective expertise of the 'Net' chime in.

© dhachey 2015

(1) Original with minor adjustments in PS

© dhachey 2015

(2) Original with more aggressive tonal adjustments in PS

© dhachey 2015

(3) Original with PS DeHaze Adjustments

© dhachey 2015

(4) DxO processed with Clearview tool

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

Wow, the DXO version looks amazing. I was playing around with dehaze in LR last night, getting some fairly nice results, though just using dehaze by itself isn't great...you need to use it in conjunction with other adjustments for the best results: raise overall exposure a bit, push shadows if you have them, then use dehaze. Certain colors (I noticed blues, though here there's a yellow affect) get over saturated a bit, so some targeted color adjustments help bring things back into balance.

Jun 18, 2015 at 01:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

IDK ... DXO looks kinda rough @ halo's / HDR-ish, etc. to me.

I took a stab at it in CS6 ... subjective to where you want it to land of course, but I'm sure the DeHaze slider was quicker.

Jordan's point @ "in conjunction with" your other tools may be the order of the day for the most ardent situations. Although, I've seen a few early returns on the CC version for other images that made it seem judiciously viable on its own.

Jun 18, 2015 at 01:51 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

Thanks Kent, nice job on this image. I couldn't get anything near this quality using LR 5.7 alone. The PS Dehaze slider was a breeze, but left an overall yellow cast (probably hidden by haze in the original image). I noticed the halo too in the DXO Clearview.

RustyBug wrote:

I took a stab at it in CS6 ... subjective to where you want it to land of course, but I'm sure the DeHaze slider was quicker.

Jordan's point @ "in conjunction with" your other tools may be the order of the day for the most ardent situations. Although, I've seen a few early returns on the CC version for other images that made it seem judiciously viable on its own.

Jun 19, 2015 at 03:10 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

Not a technical response, but I like the "original" pix the best. Gave me a much closer, more real? feeling for the moment.

Question of taste I realize, but just like HDR and other "radical" tools; to be used judiciously with careful thought as to the desired outcome.

Robert

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

OntheRez wrote:
Not a technical response, but I like the "original" pix the best. Gave me a much closer, more real? feeling for the moment.

Question of taste I realize, but just like HDR and other "radical" tools; to be used judiciously with careful thought as to the desired outcome.

Robert

+1 @ S&P to taste ... best suited in concert with the desired message conveyance.

Jun 21, 2015 at 04:39 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

RustyBug wrote:

I think that is quite remarkable considering the original, plus it's a small jpeg you are working on.

The lower right front wall is still a bit soft, but then it is in the first shot too.

Amazing tools we have at our disposal these days.

Jun 22, 2015 at 04:57 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

I like the Dx0 version best, then Rusty's version. Rusty did a great job, but I don't prefer the way the sky turned out. I really like the overcast look in the Dx0 version. Rusty's Taj /garden with the Dx0 sky would be my liking. Keep in mind though, Im viewing on a 5in phone also.

I didnt know Dx0 had a dehazing function....I may have to revisit Dx0.

I dont think these look "HDR'ish". Getting close to it, maybe. I've done some HDR that doesnt even appear to have been processed as such. Would the Taj make a good HDR subject? Absolutely! As long as its processed correctly.

I really wish they allowed inside shots if the Taj. I'll be lucky to just visit there someday.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dehazing Comparison of PS and DxO Optics Pro

I love DxO, been using it since 2007 or so. For this photo, I like the DxO with clearview version too.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.