New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Advices for a new desktop

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advices for a new desktop

I am in the market for a new desktop. The most important: mainly for processing and printing pictures.
Until now I always look for more ram. But I see these, and can't know how important they are for me:
Graphics, window 7 pro or 8.1, Intel or AMD.
Your advices are appreciated re: these and any other important features that I don't know

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advices for a new desktop

any input?

Jun 19, 2015 at 01:25 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advices for a new desktop

My system started to go down after about 6-7 years of use. I am on a budget so I couldn't go crazy with my selections. What I focused on were the processor, found a 8 core AMD around $100.00 which was $50.00 off most sellers. I know an Intel I7 might be faster but 3 times the cost was too much. This should handle any photo and most of the video I shoot. Next I wanted a Graphic card but this is a area that seems to be very mixed with reviews. Most come out saying the high end and lower range cards are about the same for video and photo processing. I went with a 2GB card, again on sale for about $100.00 vs $150.00 range. This one was also a lower power use card so I didn't need to up my system wattage which saved at least another $100.00. I wanted a MB to hold 64GB but while they are not over priced the memory is so that was no longer an option. Went with 32GB limit and will install 16GB of new RAM and 8 of what I already had for a total of 24. I did want to have a SSD start up and SSD scratch disc which will be unused except for this purpose. I think this option will make a big difference in performance. I went with 250GB each. All storage is on drives I already had in use. Operating system will be my Window 7/64 but because Microsoft is offering free upgrade to Windows 10 I will take them up on that when it is released.
This should be should be a lot faster than what I was using before. The last parts arrive on Monday so I will see how it actually works early next week and report back.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advices for a new desktop

Good luck. You seem to have picked all the right things. Only one question: why paying so much for SSD? I always save my pictures on 2 external HD.
You save on "drive", meaning on clouds?
I don't trust any on clouds. I used to have a website, that went under without notice.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advices for a new desktop

I am staring at these 2 computers. One for just $900 the other for $1500. lot of Rhttp://www.costco.com/all-desktops.htmlam and every thing fit together.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advices for a new desktop

nugeny wrote:
Good luck. You seem to have picked all the right things. Only one question: why paying so much for SSD? I always save my pictures on 2 external HD.
You save on "drive", meaning on clouds?
I don't trust any on clouds. I used to have a website, that went under without notice.

Why SSD. They were not too much. Only $89.00 each. My backup computer which is a laptop has a SSD start up and it boots in under 10 seconds. That has got to speed thing up all around. In place of external I have multi internal drives for accessing working jobs and auto backup in case of drive failure. I also use online storage as the 3rd offsite backup. I have had nothing but bad luck with external drives so I no longer use them for daily backup. At least not traditional externals. When a drive is full I remove from my system and access it if needed using a drive docking station. I keep the old Hard drives in a box if I ever need them.

Edited on Jun 20, 2015 at 03:16 PM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2015 at 03:01 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advices for a new desktop

Looking at the 2 you listed the $899.00 sounds like a real deal. 16GB of RAM is only around $100.00 . The jump up in graphic cards from what I read will not be much if any improvement in performance unless you are doing things other than image and video processing. Big cost increase for a little RAM and HD screen in my opinion.
Problem is many ready built units limit the RAM or have all 4 slots filled up because they used 4 x 4GB and not 2 x 8GB to save a few pennies. It should list this in specifications. If it as 2 empty RAM slots I would add the extra 16GB without a second thought.

Jun 20, 2015 at 03:15 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advices for a new desktop

I have had good luck with external HD. Never lost one picture since I went digital in 2006.
I have learned not to buy and then up-grade. In the last few years, when I buy, I buy the most RAM I can afford and stay with it until I buy another one. Buying Ram to upgrade can be very expensive , specially when you want to go from 16 GB to 32. you will have to discard the 16 GB (=4x4) and buy 32 (=8x4) or to go your way. Currently I have 16 GB. My next computer will have at least 32GB of ram.
Your idea about SSD has been teasing me about the speed.

Jun 20, 2015 at 05:14 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advices for a new desktop

I will report back in a few days about the speed of the SSD and SSD scratch disk.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advices for a new desktop

mainly for processing and printing pictures.

More information needed...

Processing, printing single prints at a time, or handling multi image collages/panos?

Depending on your workflow, different components will play a more vital role.

Memory is great for dealing with lots of images open at the same time.
CPU is great for processing thousands of images.
GPU can be great for manipulating lots of large images.
SSD is fantastically faster than HDDs...If your workflow demands it.

At some events, I process 300,000 photos per day. After events, we print a thousand photos per week. Each task demands a different computer. (Well...the super fast computer can handle both, but I tend to only spend where I need to)

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advices for a new desktop

Finally got all the parts in. The place I purchased my CPU and Graphic card ended up to be a scam site. Got the CPU fast that actually shipped from a well known distributor site. They said the other piece was not paid for and cancelled so I called up PayPal. Said it look suspicious and the funny thing was the funds were still being held by PayPal. Love PayPal as my money is back in my account. Anyway got the same card from another source and put it together.

I am amazed at how much faster even the internet connection is moving. I think my wifi card is working netter in this system.
The startup is under 10 seconds with Windows 7. The video processing is totally smooth and playback is full speed where before I had major slowdowns. Image processing is smooth and even large banner files are easy to work on without delay. This was a big issue before when doing large step and repeat layouts.

I will be adding another 16GB RAM in a few weeks because it is cheap to buy and I am sure will help in the long run. My old RAM could not be used in this system like I had thought before so I have extra room available.

Jun 28, 2015 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.