New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Unless you are printing large or cropping, the extra resolution of the 5DS-R will be mostly lost. You won’t see it on downsized images. What other advantages the camera may have seem pretty small at this time.

The 5DS will print an image 29x19.3 at 300 PPI native res. By comparison the 5D3 only prints 19.2x12.8 at 300 ppi. If you print the 5D3 at 29 inches wide it will be 198 PPI before uprez.

But if I were printing a large 5D3 file, I would certainly uprez, so it seems fair to uprez the 5D3 when making a head to head comparison.

I am sure I will get lots of challenges on this so bring it on, but this is a starting point. The test is easy for print, but not so easy to show on the web.

How I did it. I shot both cameras with the same lens and settings, then I uprezed the 5D3 to 29 inches wide using Bicubic smoother. Neither image was sharpened or processed. Just saved at 100%.

This is a 24-70 f2.8 mk2 at 24mm f8 ISO100. 1/100 second from a tripod.

Here are the comparisons. You be the judge.

5D-mk3

5DS-R

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM
yosemitehiker
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

The tree leaves are a lot sharper in the 5Ds R image and so is the stone work

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

You are using sarcasm right ? Because its night and day difference !!!

oh...and i believe the main advantage of 5Ds will be on ISO 100 dynamic range, SNR and cleaner shadows.
This is the true successor to 1Ds3 and is built as a studio camera, very good ad low ISO.

5d3 will remain the best for High ISO

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

safcraft wrote:
You are using sarcasm right ? Because its night and day difference !!!

No sarcasm, I just did not want to add my bias. It is better, much better, but maybe not night and day. I suppose better uprez algorithms would work.

I regularly print 5D3 files at 16 x29. I use Qimage and I am pretty happy with the prints. But I expect to be happier with the 5DS-R files.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

+1
Just go take some beautiful landscape shots with the camera! Enough of these boring test shots.
Could tell the difference between 24 and 36MP so I definitely expect to see difference between 22 and 50MP.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Huge difference ... and I'd say that 24-70 II is a pretty sharp lens.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

So, just to confirm, we're looking at a 100% crop of i) a 5D3 after being uprezzed to match ii) a 100% crop of a 5Ds?

In other words, we're essentially looking at a ~200% crop of a 5D3 (but smoother, because of the upres) against a 100% crop of a 5Ds.

I think this provides a good example of how increased resolution helps at the limits of large printing for close viewing, and how it helps for extreme cropping.

In other words: The more extreme the crop, or the more extreme the printing size + intention for close viewing, the more useful more resolution will be.

No challenges on that! You'll see an even more extreme version if you compare this to the original 1D!

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

justruss wrote:
So, just to confirm, we're looking at a 100% crop of i) a 5D3 after being uprezzed to match ii) a 100% crop of a 5Ds?

In other words, we're essentially looking at a ~200% crop of a 5D3 (but smoother, because of the upres) against a 100% crop of a 5Ds.

I think this provides a good example of how increased resolution helps at the limits of large printing for close viewing, and how it helps for extreme cropping.

In other words: The more extreme the crop, or the more extreme the printing size + intention for close viewing, the
...Show more

Yes, you have it right about what I did.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Ben, thanks for your efforts, even on my aging laptop it's very clear what 50mp's can produce! For me it is the stone work that simply grabs one's attention, there's a ton of sharp detail, it's quite stunning. I can only guess the level of detail you might get while out in your flower garden

Cheers,
Jerry

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Thanks for this. Ben. It is exactly what I would have expected to see. Up-rezzing is destructive to IQ and only should be used sparingly and when necessary. And, it's all about prints. No one can tell what camera was used by looking at a 200K web jpeg anyway. I am not referring to your 100% crop examples.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:09 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

ben egbert wrote:
..... The 5DS will print an image 29x19.3 at 300 PPI native res. By comparison the 5D3 only prints 19.2x12.8 at 300 ppi. If you print the 5D3 at 29 inches wide it will be 198 PPI before uprez ....

Yes ... and a fairer comparison between the 5Ds and the 5D3 would be to PRINT the former at 300dpi and the latter at 180dpi. The differences should be slight ... and much less dramatic than the samples posted here. I say "should be" because I don't own and haven't used a 5Ds.
- Steve

Jun 18, 2015 at 02:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

veroman wrote:
Yes ... and a fairer comparison between the 5Ds and the 5D3 would be to PRINT the former at 300dpi and the latter at 180dpi. The differences should be slight ... and much less dramatic than the samples posted here. I say "should be" because I don't own and haven't used a 5Ds.
- Steve

Not even sure how to do that. The software I use for print (Qimage) does some sort of uprezzing, you would need to turn it off. Not saying you can't, just that it is not normal.

Jun 18, 2015 at 02:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Jeffrey wrote:
Thanks for this. Ben. It is exactly what I would have expected to see. Up-rezzing is destructive to IQ and only should be used sparingly and when necessary. And, it's all about prints. No one can tell what camera was used by looking at a 200K web jpeg anyway. I am not referring to your 100% crop examples.

Uprezzing works just fine — there isn't anything sacred about 300 dpi in photographs, nor is there anything sacred about keeping the print to size that can be produced at 300 dpi without interpolation.

There are plenty (virtually all, actually) outstanding photographers who produce absolutely first-rate, stunning prints who interpolate to make the larger prints and who do not always print at 300.

In any case, to the extent the pixel dimensions have an effect on print quality, having more of them is useful when making larger prints, especially if you take care to manage all of the other issues that also impact the apparent resolution of the prints.

Dan

Jun 18, 2015 at 02:19 PM
jffielde
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Wow, that's quite a difference. Nice job with the new camera.

Jun 18, 2015 at 03:23 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Like the others, I think Ben's samples do show a big difference that might, depending on the content and printing conditions, border on a night and day difference between the new camera and the 5D Mark III.

But I'll also say that even 1Dx images can be printed from Lightroom, with no special up sampling methods, to very large sizes, like 40x60, and look quite good. It really depends on how well I did my job as a photographer managing focus and exposure parameters, more than the number of sensor pixels - at least for the work I do. But if the exposure and focus and exposure parameters are perfect, I'll bet the new 5D prints will look better that what we have currently with the 1Dx.

John Caldwell

Jun 18, 2015 at 04:33 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Ben:

Out of curiousity, would you be willing to downrez the 5Ds shot to 19.2 x 12.8 @ 300 dpi and then show a 100% crop of those two images? I suspect the 5Ds shot will still look better, but not tremendously so.

Thanks,
Chris

Jun 18, 2015 at 04:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Here ya go,

5d3 downsized to 5760 wide.

5d-mk3 un changed.

Jun 18, 2015 at 05:03 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Thanks ben. I assume the top one is the 5Ds. As expected, it does look a bit sharper, but obviously not nearly as dramatic.

Jun 18, 2015 at 06:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

Schlotkins wrote:
Thanks ben. I assume the top one is the 5Ds. As expected, it does look a bit sharper, but obviously not nearly as dramatic.

Yep, labeled as such.

I have a friend who swears more pixels produce sharper images when downsized. I have never been able to see it though.

Jun 18, 2015 at 06:40 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Resolution 5D3 vs 5dS-R

That's probably because the sensor tech gets better as megapixels go up over sensor generations. I'm guessing a 12 mph downsize from a 5d3 looks better than a 12 mph shot from a 5d.

Jun 18, 2015 at 07:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.