New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

Anybody here at FM run LR5 under Wine, or tried running LR6 under it? Experiences?
I ask because I'm building a PC, dedicated to photo processing only, out of some old parts. What kind of old parts, well, an LGA775 mobo that's getting modified to run an LGA771 Xeon Quad, with 8gb ram.

If you have to ask what "Wine" is.....then you don't run it.

Thanks Aaron

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

what are you planning on using as the base operating system? I'd probably run VirtualBox before I ran Wine.

Jun 19, 2015 at 06:50 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

howardm4 wrote:
what are you planning on using as the base operating system? I'd probably run VirtualBox before I ran Wine.

Probably Manjaro, which is based on Arch. I've been out of the Linux loop for a while, so not sure what alls available, compatible, etc.

Jun 20, 2015 at 05:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

nothing like making it more complex then it needs to be.

unless you are really going to go through all the searching to maintain a Linux distro in the flavor of you choice and do some development on it the cool factor just isn't that high.

i'm running build 10130 of Windows 10 ( and previous builds for the past 3 months 24hrs a day running a few different visual math equation scripts to "warm things up a little". these included CUDA so the NVidia GPU could take up some of the load too. in addition I have used PS6 and have LR5 sitting on it too.

age of machine is just a bit over 8 years now.

Gigabyte X48 MB
a few hard drives
8GB corsair DDR 2 RAM
Intel core 2 quad Q9450 running at 2.66Ghz
NVidia GTX560 Ti vid card 2 GB ram

thought it had seen its day but under windows 10 it running quite admirably. it now will end up being an alt machine since it has a legal W7 copy onboard and will end up getting the free upgrade.

I have Ubuntu but in the end it serves me no purpose to hunt my way to my needs in that arena.

Jun 20, 2015 at 06:01 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

I'm so pedestrian that I need to ask what Wine is. Even further, why run an OS that was not in the minds of the LR engineers when they wrote the program? What's the risk benefit? I ask out of genuine ignorance, as you can tell.

John Caldwell

Jun 20, 2015 at 07:36 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

WINE is a suite of software that implements much of the Win32 system call set. Basically allows a user to (attempt to) run various Windows programs (with various levels of success, bugs, crashes and headaches) on Linux or anything else that Wine has been ported to.

Jun 20, 2015 at 07:49 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

sjms wrote:
nothing like making it more complex then it needs to be.

unless you are really going to go through all the searching to maintain a Linux distro in the flavor of you choice and do some development on it the cool factor just isn't that high.

i'm running build 10130 of Windows 10 ( and previous builds for the past 3 months 24hrs a day running a few different visual math equation scripts to "warm things up a little". these included CUDA so the NVidia GPU could take up some of the load too. in addition I have used PS6 and
...Show more

Ok. Similar specs, minus video card, that this machine has. Dual core E8600 @ 3.3ghz, 8gb ram. I intended to try out Win 10 on it first. Although I prefer Linux for it's" speediness" (except when emulating under Wine for example).

How would you say responsiveness is with Win10 compared to Win7? I could install server 2008R2, which is basically Win7 stripped of all its eye candy. It is quicker than Win7, but I dont know if Id say its worth the effort to optimize it as a workstation setup just for photo editing. :/ Which brings us back to "is it worth the trouble" with Linux and Wine. I think I've made up my mind and will stick to Win. Still curious about responsiveness though comparing 7 and 10 on your setup.

John Caldwell wrote:
I'm so pedestrian that I need to ask what Wine is. Even further, why run an OS that was not in the minds of the LR engineers when they wrote the program? What's the risk benefit? I ask out of genuine ignorance, as you can tell.

John Caldwell

John
Linux is free operating system. Its somewhat related to Apples OS X in that both are Unix based/like. Both are incredibly resistant to viruses and maleware. Wine is a program for linux, which allows a person to run some programs designed for Windows. A form of emulation/virtualization. There's no guarantee a Win program will run properly, or at all for that matter, under Wine. Theres not much benefit other than resistance to the aforementioned. Its really something just hardcore computer nerds would do.

But Linux can be an absolute pain in the arse to setup, configure, and keep updated. Its not for the faint of heart and one will find themself ripping their hair out easily.

Jun 20, 2015 at 08:13 PM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

Aaron,

I think the big issue(s) you'll have will be with color calibration / color management. I tried this several times and frankly found it frustrating to try and get color management working with multiple monitors under Linux. nVidia and ATI handle multiple monitors very differently and for nVidia it treats your several displays as one big display which limits to you one profile.

Sad to say, you might be better off with Windows or trying to turn it into a hackintosh (better option).

Jun 25, 2015 at 01:13 AM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

Aaron D wrote:
Ok. Similar specs, minus video card, that this machine has. Dual core E8600 @ 3.3ghz, 8gb ram. I intended to try out Win 10 on it first. Although I prefer Linux for it's" speediness" (except when emulating under Wine for example).

How would you say responsiveness is with Win10 compared to Win7? I could install server 2008R2, which is basically Win7 stripped of all its eye candy. It is quicker than Win7, but I dont know if Id say its worth the effort to optimize it as a workstation setup just for photo editing. :/ Which brings us back
...Show more

I ran Windows Server 2008 R2 in client mode on my work laptop during the Vista years with great results. WiFi connectivity performance alone was worth the other anomalies and there is a client package from MSFT you can run to enable/disable related settings for client use (disables IIS, enables WiFi, etc.). To be honest, Win8.1 and Win10 run as fast or much faster even on older hardware, though I totally understand resistance to either option. I now use Win8.1 Pro because I tired of hacking MSI files to get some of even the most basic client programs to install on 2k8R2.

Jun 25, 2015 at 04:50 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

I had a guy partition the hard drive, part in Linux, part in windows, after a nasty confrontation with viruses (don't EVER turn off DEP! ). That way, as long as I can boot in Linux, I figured I could get in and see and delete virus files invisible to windows.

In the end, Linux wasn't that useful, and that computer now has the ultimate virus protection : it's not really connected to the Internet anymore.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

AmbientMike wrote:
I had a guy partition the hard drive, part in Linux, part in windows, after a nasty confrontation with viruses (don't EVER turn off DEP! ). That way, as long as I can boot in Linux, I figured I could get in and see and delete virus files invisible to windows.

In the end, Linux wasn't that useful, and that computer now has the ultimate virus protection : it's not really connected to the Internet anymore.

mines connected all the time. getting a virus or malicious piece of something is not something done but osmosis or magic. it had do be something that attracted you to it to "invite" it in.

Jun 26, 2015 at 02:12 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

Aaron D wrote:
But Linux can be an absolute pain in the arse to setup, configure, and keep updated. Its not for the faint of heart and one will find themself ripping their hair out easily.

Thats not really true any more, and indeed hasn't been for some time. Most distros ship with excellent installers that auto-ID all your system hardware and install drivers to suit. Sometimes you need to install a driver yourself manually, but this is hardly different to Windows, just the process is a little different.

Configuration is also pretty simple in my experience - it just works nowadays. In the past, yes it could be a pain, but nowadays you don't need to edit config files by hand etc.

Updating is considerably easier than Windows because most of your applications will be installed from a repository. Updating my Ubuntu box requires 2 commands typed at commandline ("apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade") or i can push a button in the graphical package manager. That updates EVERY application on the computer.

sjms wrote:
mines connected all the time. getting a virus or malicious piece of something is not something done but osmosis or magic. it had do be something that attracted you to it to "invite" it in.

This is also not true - there are plenty of viruses that auto-install without any assistance from the computer user. Some reside on USB sticks (a real problem for the labs i used to run), some will auto replicate across a network exploiting known vulnerabilities in networking stacks, and many can be acquired from malicious adverts and scripts running on legitimate but compromised websites. A number of infections have also been spread round using the normal bulk advertising like you see on this website - it's a great vector of attack if you can script something that gets past the checkers that advert carriers test everything with.

Jun 26, 2015 at 02:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

i guess i'm just either lucky or careful.

really that's not completely the facts even for Ubuntu. there are still a considerable amount of raw product out there that falls a little short on making things usable under the Linux banner

i just downloaded Ubuntu 14 to a disc and i'm going to load it into my laptop and see what happens with a spare drive.

once done what would one use as a PS replacement along with raw conversion?

Jun 26, 2015 at 03:07 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom 5 or 6 under Wine

for starters......

gimp
darktable
raw therapee

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.