Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Howdy everyone, been a while since I stopped by. Having a bit of a freak out moment. It seems that any card I put in my 6D comes out and my computer won't even pick it up. Images still show up on the camera and if I put it on my 5Dmiii it reads the images on there too. Any ideas? It's done this to 4 of my cards now and I can't seem to get them back online (or get images off of one where there are client images).

Thanks everyone,

Andy

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Try a different card reader and/or computer for starters.

EBH

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:29 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Tried another computer just now with the same result. I don't have another card reader here, but might have to get one to try.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:32 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Connect the camera to the computer via USB and download the images that way.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:35 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Try a USB plug from the camera to the computer. It's either the reader or the cable conencting it to the computer.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:35 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

JameelH wrote:
Connect the camera to the computer via USB and download the images that way.

wizard

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Yep, most likely your card reader is hosed. Happens to me every few years. But do the usual stuff: restart computer, plug the reader directly into the computer (rather than hub), try a new cable and, finally, try a different reader. If all else fails, you can always use Wi-Fi or hookup a USB cable directly to your camera for the transfer.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

By that time one could buy a new reader .

EBH

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:43 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

So it seems that the cable is working. Still doesn't explain why it's only when it comes out of my 6D, cards out of my 5D are reading fine, but if I put those cards in my 6D and take a single photo then it won't read on my computer. Unfortunately it's not as easy as getting a new reader as I use the reader on my macbook, luckily I'm still under applecare.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:43 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

You haven't told us what brand, model of card you are using.

Jun 17, 2015 at 09:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

PeakPhoto wrote:
So it seems that the cable is working. Still doesn't explain why it's only when it comes out of my 6D, cards out of my 5D are reading fine, but if I put those cards in my 6D and take a single photo then it won't read on my computer. Unfortunately it's not as easy as getting a new reader as I use the reader on my macbook, luckily I'm still under applecare.

I have two Mac Mini of 2013 and 2014 vintage and the built-in SD card readers are funky: work fine with some cards but while refusing to read others. I got tired of it quickly and bought a Lexar Workflow SR1 and it works every dad burn time.

Jun 17, 2015 at 09:43 PM
Petie53

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

While I really like my Apple computers I had a similar problem with the card slot on my MacBook Pros. I had 2 cards that I was trying to transfer pictures off of and both cards got corrupted so I lost all the pictures! Never a problem using the USB cable so while it is slower, it is far more reliable.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Have you tried reformatting the card in your 6D and then see if it works normally after that?

Jun 18, 2015 at 08:55 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SD Cards out of 6D not reading!?

Petie53 wrote:
While I really like my Apple computers I had a similar problem with the card slot on my MacBook Pros. I had 2 cards that I was trying to transfer pictures off of and both cards got corrupted so I lost all the pictures! Never a problem using the USB cable so while it is slower, it is far more reliable.

Ouch! I've not had corruption but the built-in readers simply refused to mount certain cards. The Lexar SR1 is actually faster and easier to use than the built-in readers so no biggie.

Jun 18, 2015 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.