Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

The marketing banner flashing across FM says that the new 2015 version of CC is not just new ... but, totally transformed.

So ... does anybody know what this "total transformation" is?

Have they done a total rewrite of the code so it uses hyper-threading and multi-core processing to its fullest capabilty?
(That could get me to move to CC.)

Or, are we just talking about a redesigned user interface that is supposed to be "more intuitive" or more "social network" friendly?

I'm curious what Adobe's definition of "total transformation" is ... anybody know?

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:41 PM
butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Try this:

https://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2015/06/2015-release-of-photoshop-cc-faq.html

Then check out the first three videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Photoshop/videos

Not sure if that will answer all your question or change your mind ... value is in the eye of the beholder.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Thanks,

First link @ Adobe looks like plenty of bugs addressed and many preferential tweaks. Not quite what I conjure up in the spirit of "totally transformed".

Here is the link that Adobe sent me to.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html

The one thing that kinda catches my attention is the "120x faster" "real time" heal, etc.

Jun 16, 2015 at 01:57 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Hey is certainly faster for me, really pleased, like having a new computer

Jun 17, 2015 at 03:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

TimMunsey wrote:
Hey is certainly faster for me, really pleased, like having a new computer

Good to hear ... can you elaborate on how much / what @ "faster" is "faster"?

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

They have rewritten a lot of their code to use graphics processors, thus the speed up, and improved multithreaded routines. Overall, feels like a significant enhancement to me, especially the new Dehaze tool (absolutely incredible!). I've decided to go back and reprocess several years worth of images, at least those that will benefit from Dehaze.

RustyBug wrote:
Good to hear ... can you elaborate on how much / what @ "faster" is "faster"?

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

If they have in fact re-written the code ... I'll buy into that as part of a transformation. That may be the very thing that moves the mountain for them from those still on perpetual to subscription ... at least more so than a few new bells & whistles.

We've known for quite some time that their code wasn't harnessing the hyper/multi/graphic processors very well. If they have actually done that, then kudo's to Adobe. It'll be interesting to see some head to head tests from the techie guru world as they evolve.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

A thought or two and a question. Like Rusty I'm a hold out. I read the link above (thanks) and also see mostly a list of fixes, many long over due. Following Rusty's link there is the mention of "up to 120X faster than CS6" though this is stated in the context of healing and patch brushes/tools. Marketing claims like this likely have been achieved in carefully constructed situations. I'm curious how this works out in real world use. The mention of "Mercury Graphics Engine" is an interesting bit of marketing droid speak. Does anyone have a clue as to what technical change this represents?

My question is a bit sardonic, but the whole thrust of CC was "continuous improvement" and "not having to wait for major upgrades" to see significant changes. So now we have CC 2014 and CC 2015. Each was designated as "Major Upgrades." Would some CC partisan please explain to me how this is different than labeling them say CS6.5 and CS7? We all know that the change to the subscription model was a bean counter choice not necessarily an improvement for users. So can we expect "major updates" each year?

Robert

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

+1 @ Robert CS6.5 vs. CS7 vs. CC 2014 vs. CC 2015.

Does anyone know what version CC 2015 is ... looks like V.16

CS6 is Version 13
Then came Version 14 (in the form of CC), along with Adobe statements that there would be no further versions, just upgrades to CC (mind you the whole "must upgrade to CS6 to be eligible for future upgrades" debacle)

So ... is CC 2015, now Version 15, or 16
If it truly is rewritten code, I can't see how it could still be V.15

Putting a label of CC on it Version 14 or calling it CS7 really was only semantics toward subscription herding. The fact remained that they made a new version @ V.14 and did not allow folks to upgrade their perpetual V.13 to a perpetual V.14 ... despite the "must upgrade" policy (unless I missed it along the way). Now, if there is a V.15 or V.16, etc. it is only further salt in the wound to the lie @ "must upgrade" to be eligible for future perpetual upgrades to CS products.

They kinda sorta apologized ... but, hmmm @ doing it again doesn't bode well. Kudo's if they really rewrote code, etc. Not so much @ reneging to next level, yet again. I still think they should be required to allow perpetual users the opportunity to upgrade to a perpetual V.14 or perpetual V.15 or V.16 in accordance with their "must upgrade" to V.13 to be eligible for future upgrades.

It's not like they didn't know in advance (SEC documents) of their desires to kill off perpetual BEFORE they told consumers they "must upgrade" to be eligible for future upgrades.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Photoshop CC is currently version 2015.0.0. Starting last year, they stopped with whole version numbers in the official version naming and went to year release numbers. The more complete number is 20150529.r.88 x64, at least on my machine.

Jun 17, 2015 at 02:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Thanks Jordan,

Although, you might want to look for the 16.x either preceding or trailing that. I've seen three other sites reference it as V.16 in addition to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Do you have any insight into what qualifies as "transformed" about the latest version?

Jun 17, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Here's the About screen from the current version. And, no, I don't know what they mean by transformed, unless they mean the new Photoshop Design Space or Artboard features (multiple layouts in the same PSD file).

http://www.jordansteele.com/2015/CC2015.jpg

Jun 17, 2015 at 07:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Gotcha.

I know its really early yet ... but, do you have anything exceptional to note about the new version's performance (not meaning new features @ art board, etc.)?

Jun 17, 2015 at 07:18 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

RustyBug wrote:
do you have anything exceptional to note about the new version's performance

The spot healing brush is virtually instantaneous.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Not complaining ... but Aperture 3 could do such healing nearly that fast on a RAW image over five years ago. Nice to see Ps has caught up.

It's all good.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2015 CC ... Totally Transformed ???

Thanks Dan,

Video looks interesting enough, but that is still a fairly "light load".

Has anybody done any pano-stitching with 5Ds or 5DsR files (or D800E / A7R, etc.) to reflect on heavy load performance gains?

Jun 18, 2015 at 06:38 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.