FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · B&G positioning during ceremony

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&G positioning during ceremony

We've done a few weddings this year where the officiant has the B&G face him the ENTIRE ceremony, right up until the first kiss. All we can see is the back of their heads, and we don't like to make a point to walk behind the officiant/wedding party during the ceremony. Last weekend this happened and we were specifically asked by the priest beforehand to not walk behind them so it was definitely out of the question.

Have you guys had this happen before? It's frustrating to say the least.

Jun 16, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Ugh... sounds like a problem that can only be solved before the day.

Otherwise it's just damage control.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:05 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&G positioning during ceremony

That is pretty common in my area.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&G positioning during ceremony

If it's in a church you most likely have no control over that. It's just something you have to take in stride. If it's not a religious ceremony I try to get a different view. Either way it's beneficial to talk with the officiant. If you ask and they tell you no- not really anything you can do.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&G positioning during ceremony

the only thing you can probably do is if it is important to them to have another viewpoint, to fake it after the ceremony. one other thought is placing a camera strategically on the other side on a tripod with a wireless trigger to get a few shots from a different perspective where you would not actually have to be there or use a 4K video that you can pull stills out of or something like that.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:21 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Thing is, it hasn't ever occurred to me to ask beforehand how the B&G are going to be standing during the ceremony. 99% of the time it's completely predictable, and they'll be facing each other. Guess I need to start asking.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Happens every now and then. Try to get side profile shots when they look at each-other.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Patrick Elliott
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&G positioning during ceremony

I'm licensed in my state to perform weddings. I don't understand ministers who do this. The bride and groom SHOULD face each other, not me. They are saying their vows to each other, not me. During rehearsal, if they look at me when repeating the vows, I tell them to face each other and say them.

It's just sad that some ministers and church ladies get so caught up in the "religious" aspect of it, that they suck the fun and enjoyment out of it.

Jun 16, 2015 at 02:40 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&G positioning during ceremony

lilyphoto wrote:
It's frustrating to say the least.

And also very rude of the officiants not to remember that weddings are all about the photography over and above everything else, as is made clear here by many over and over again.

I wonder if there is ever anything Photographers do that frustrates those people performing the Ceremony?
Nah, surely not!

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:47 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&G positioning during ceremony

glort wrote:
And also very rude of the officiants not to remember that weddings are all about the photography over and above everything else, as is made clear here by many over and over again.

I wonder if there is ever anything Photographers do that frustrates those people performing the Ceremony?
Nah, surely not!

Actually, I bet its very frustrating for the guests and family watching the ceremony as well. Probably more so for them than me. Not only can they not see the bride and groom and their facial expressions, but they also have a harder time hearing them recite their vows, since they are speaking away from them.

Jun 16, 2015 at 07:18 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&G positioning during ceremony

lilyphoto wrote:
Actually, I bet its very frustrating for the guests and family watching the ceremony as well. Probably more so for them than me. Not only can they not see the bride and groom and their facial expressions, but they also have a harder time hearing them recite their vows, since they are speaking away from them.

I have never heard a guest or relative express frustration at this at all.
I suppose they, Like myself, just accept that's the way it's done sometimes and it's a very minor thing if they regard it as any issue at all. They probably realise that its an important commitment between 2 people first and foremost rather than something put on for spectator entertainment or the shooter to get the best pretty pics for his blog.

Sometimes you don't get everything set up on a wedding like you would if you were shooting an advertising piece and that's just the way it goes and what you have to deal with. You either work around that and do what you can or you go find another market to work in. .

As for not hearing the Vows, can't say I have even been to a wedding where that happened in as long as I can remember. Even celebrants doing services in the park take portable microphones/ sound system these days, some even put a radio mic on the groom for good measure.
Can't remember the last church I went to that didn't have a mic going through the sound system in the place and most of the priests are wired for sound now even if there is just a mic on a stand for the couple.

Where I am, Audio is well and truly taken care of and it's impossible not to hear the B&G in any part of the church.

Jun 16, 2015 at 08:01 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Glort, I think you misunderstood me a bit. I did say it was frustrating to me, yes. However, it's not because I'm worried about getting pretty pictures for my website and blog. I worry that the clients will be upset that I wasn't able to capture things the way that they may have initially expected. Of course, I do what I can with what I'm given and that's that, but it makes me a little worried about disappointing the clients, even though it obviously was out of my hands and they would understand I wasn't able to capture much of their faces.

If the clients don't care then that's great, fine with me.

That's nice that you have weddings with great audio coverage. Here only about 15% of them have mics and sound systems.

Jun 16, 2015 at 08:24 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Ask to recreate a few poses afterward?

Jun 17, 2015 at 01:42 PM
Medialinx

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&G positioning during ceremony

Most officiants here in Ireland let you stand off to the side and behind them. We wouldn't dare stand behind an officiant in this country as it is just not the done thing here, but off to the side and out of the way is usually okay.

If for some reason the officiant doesn't want us up at the front most will let us shoot from the back. If I know this is going to be the case I just ask the couple to give me a wee look if they can and to try and face each other if the officiant allows. That does the trick usually. If I can't get a shot I can always stage if afterwards, but to be honest it isn't really a biggie in my opinion. For me my customers just want the ceremony shots because that is what happens round here - they are really paying me for the shots of them together posed afterwards.

I like photographing ceremonies though and over the years have never really had any big problems with officiants. I am pleasant and polite and always make a point of seeking out the officiant to introduce myself before we kick off anyway.

Graham.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.