New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

Cross-posted at Canon forum.

I just purchased a nice ZF.2 35mm f/2 lens from a seller here on B&S (thanks Fred Gizzo -- AKS: keepsabeat), and am waiting for it to arrive in a couple days.

I started wondering about it for use on Canon mount. I'm already familiar with ZE for Canon, and the original fully manual ZF Zeiss 25/2.8 I currently have and found it works great mounted to Canon, fully manual of course.

Quick question: With ZF.2 models mounted to Canon, it reverts to a manually set diaphragm with no electronics (obviously) making it like mounting any Alt lens without native compatibility?

I had the ZE version along with the 21/2.8 and 50/1.4 and liked them. This Nikon version could be a nice alternative for tripod mounted work -- I like having multi-platform lenses!

Anyone else used ZF.2 lenses on Canon? How about Sony a7R -- same as Nikon functionality with correct adapter?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM
U.C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

I still have a ZF.2 21mm and a ZF 100mm on my 5D2. I also had a ZF.2 MP 50/2, but I sold that one recently. At first I used standard Nikon->EOS adapters, but they had some play. Then I bought the highly recommended Leitax adapters. They are bolted on the lenses, so the mounts have absolutely no play. I also have some AF confirm chips on them. They are not so useful for AF confirm, but for the EXIF info they are.

To answer your question: they behave like any Alt lens without native compatibility.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

Thanks U.C. -- just what I thought.

I figure this will be a decent investment for dual system Nikon/Canon use, and even Sony if I decide later to go to a used a7R body. I may later consider a Zeiss ZF/ZF.2 18/3.5 or 50/2 macro to round out the system.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM
U.C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

Switching between Nikon and Canon won't possible (not without using some tools) with a Leitax adapter.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon ZF.2 lenses mounted on Canon Bodies

I wouldn't consider at Leitax or Leitax-style for this situation.

I have a Leica R lens that I converted to a Leitax-style mount from eBay seller, so I could use it on my D800e. It works fine, and I simply add a generic Nikon to EF adapter when (rarely) I want to use on my Canon bodies.

Putting a Leitax Canon mount on the lens dead-ends the lens for all but Canon (and Sony) uses, so it's not my preferred way to go.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.