FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · DSLR with EVF

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · DSLR with EVF

I doubt EVF will match regular optical viewfinders for battery life anytime soon. I would view it as a functionality tradeoff, if the focus system and EVF of a much smaller camera can give me better focusing reliability than I get with a really good dSLR and the only trade is battery life, I would seriously consider the option. If focus was on par/comparable in speed and accuracy but not better, then it would feel more lateral to me and mostly a size tradeoff. Too much trouble for that.

If the f/1.4 lenses were...tiny...then the size tradeoff might be worth it.

If high ISO performance was a step above the pentax 645z...then it might be worth it.

Jun 18, 2015 at 03:27 PM
Medialinx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · DSLR with EVF

I shoot with two A99s. I used to use A900s with an optical viewfinder, but when I got my first A99 it was just such a joy to shoot with that I had to get another also.

I wouldn't go back to shooting with a pentaprism.

I was a Minolta shooter before switching to Sony six years ago and the A99 is the nicest camera I have ever owned.

The battery life is fine. As someone else pointed out you can have up to three batteries on the go. I use the grip which holds two and don't have a need to have an additional one in the body. I get either a full days shooting (I shoot weddings full time and spend about 8 hours at a wedding) or just under a full day out of two batteries. But I have loads in the bag and the camera tells me the % anyway so I can change in plenty of time if needs be.

The EVF is beautiful. You really wouldn't know you were looking at a screen. The in body antishake is a hangover from Minolta so to me there is nothing new there. I really don't notice the loss of light due to the fixed mirror, so that also isn't a problem.

Seeing the shots in the EVF before I take them makes using the camera a joy. It also reduces chimping and reduces the number of shots to go through on the computer. Very handy when taking group shots as I can check if all eyes are open without having to remove the camera from my eye.

The tilting screen is very useful too especially if you put the camera on a monopod and shoot over your head with a remote release or when I shoot low down and I no longer have to lie on the ground to get a shot :-)

My work might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you are interested you can see the type of stuff I shoot with the A99 on my website at www.grahamcrichton.com

I know a couple of people who have given up on their DSLRs and now shoot weddings with some of the newer and smaller Sony offerings. I don't know any other professionals, at least in our part of the world (Ireland) that shoot with Sony cameras, but I love them. One of my colleagues does joke with me everytime I see him about "Are you still shooting with those hi-fis?!" ;-)

Graham.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:18 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.