1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · lens rental test the 5ds

AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · lens rental test the 5ds

mogul wrote:
The 5dsr has a cancelling filter, much as the 800e; the Sony 7r and Nikon 810 have no filter.

RustyBug wrote:
The significance of that is not lost on me. Something I was wanting to know, but had not yet discerned.

A couple of links related to the concept (maybe nore than you ever wanted to now, but )
The effect of the stack between the incoming image and the sensels is not necessarily intuitive.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/sensor-stack-thickness-when-does-it-matter
Changing the thickness of the stack affects some lenses more than others, depending on what the lens was optimized for.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/01/a-thinner-sensor-stack
The Canon diagrams of the way the AA filter works and how it can be canceled i the 5DS. It doesn't actually "blur" the image like a Photoshop blur. The first AA filter actually splits the image into two sharp copies slightly displaced from each other.( https://www.maxmax.com/olpf_study.htm ) The second either shifts (only) the moved one back or shifts both of them the same amount in the other direction to give 4 sharp images landing at the corners of a 1 pixel square. The net result is not as bad as blurring but does reduce resolution.
http://www.canon-asia.com/snapshot/eos-5ds-5dsr-688/4/
This approach means the stack thickness stays the same and the manufacturing can be done pretty much identically for the two models. Taking out the filter completely (the two birefringent plates and 1/4 weve plate) would require some re-optimization of the stack). That could come later, just like it did for Nikon. It won't make much difference to the captured resolution.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · lens rental test the 5ds

ben egbert wrote:
Would love to see tests with the 11-24.

And by the way, thanks for the test and for all the testing you do. One of the most trusted test sites I visit.

LensRental is virtually the only site I trust anymore. There are a few hands on photographer's whose insights are valuable, but none who test gear except Roger.

11-24 later today.... 5Ds

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · lens rental test the 5ds

snapsy wrote:
The camera makers are fighting over the last 5% of photographers - those needing the unique and high-margin
features of newer models, like megapixels, dynamic range, better video, etc...

Given the numbers involved with cellphones and how most people are perfectly happy with FB type images, the percentage left to dedicated camera makers is probably under 1%. That's why Sony's cell phone sensor business is such a key element. It's the new high volume low margin money generator for R+D. They can subsidize products in a minuscule market that are not self sustaining. Just have to watch out for Samsung. They are putting R+D into sensors as well.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · lens rental test the 5ds

Monito wrote:
Thanks for the tests and all that you do in sharing and generally helping around the industry, Roger!

veroman wrote:
The industry? In what way?

Well, for one, he or his company has helped a competitor who suffered a huge theft; helped by seeing that some (many?) of the photographers who were relying on lenses booked for rental received a lens when they needed it. Not only does it help the competition, but it helps the photographers. That's industry.

Plus there is the hammer forum.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · lens rental test the 5ds

dhphoto wrote:
In the past two years (which is about as far back as I can remember these days) 50 meg would have been useful three times for me, ...

Well, another use would be for increasing reach, i.e. carrying a 5Ds instead of a 5D3 and 7 or 70D. The 5Ds weighs no more than the 5D3 and if the s' mRAW size is close to 5D3 raw you could use that at no real deficit except initial cost. Save 50 MP for when you need it. I rarely use the processing power my computer has and the computer doesn't care.

BTW, what are the pixel dimensions of the 5Ds mRAW file? I couldn't find it Googling around.

I did find this post about an HDR firmware update for the new 5Ds but I suspect its a hoax.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · lens rental test the 5ds

Definitely a hoax, Jeff. 1.4.15 = 1st April, 2015. Current 5DS firmware is 1.0.1.

It also links to 5D3 super HDR firmware update posted on 1st April 2012.

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:54 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · lens rental test the 5ds

EB-1 wrote:
There is a 47% increase with the 300/2.8 II, which is rather close to the theoretical difference between a 22 and 50 MP sensor. That's quite an impressive improvement, the largest leap since the 1Ds days.

Even for more mundane lenses towards the edges the improvements are substantial.

EBH

It's a 31% increase. 50 MP will resolve a maximum possible 51% more than 22 MP all else equal, and the AA filter counts in the "all else equal" clause. Thus, the 5Ds resolves 31% more than the 5D3. The extra resolution of the 5DsR comes from a cancelled AA filter and, of course, comes at the cost of more artifacts

On the plus side, if you stop it down far enough, diffraction will substitute for the AA filter, so if you're a landscape photographer shooting at f/16 and more narrow, the 5DsR is going to be the better choice.

Jun 16, 2015 at 09:10 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · lens rental test the 5ds

takowasa wrote:
It's a 31% increase. 50 MP will resolve a maximum possible 51% more than 22 MP all else equal, and the AA filter counts in the "all else equal" clause. Thus, the 5Ds resolves 31% more than the 5D3. The extra resolution of the 5DsR comes from a cancelled AA filter and, of course, comes at the cost of more artifacts

On the plus side, if you stop it down far enough, diffraction will substitute for the AA filter, so if you're a landscape photographer shooting at f/16 and more narrow, the 5DsR is going to be the better choice.

Like your succinct analysis!! That is what is use any/all my 5Dxxxxx's for....
Dan

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:53 AM
newhaven
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · lens rental test the 5ds

atodzia wrote:
It would be interesting to see how the results change when shooting at F8. Would that bring the results closer together for the 5DS and 5DSR or would they still remain about the same distance apart in the measurements?

RCicala wrote:
Interesting point, and one that needs to be tested, but I would expect them to be coming together at f/8. My first thought is diffraction blurring in the raw image (which is what we test) would make the images close to identical.

At f/16 I doubt you will see a difference between the S and R versions.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.