FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

jhayesvw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

I decided that since its so damn hot by 8am (90 degrees) and over 100 degrees by 10:30 that I might as well set up a little perch in my backyard and see what shows up.

I grabbed a dead Cholla cactus skeleton from the desert and put it in a large pot. Filled it with dirt and set it on my back fence pillar. Threw some seed in there and sat in my chair with my tripod.
This is a VERY different way for me to shoot pictures. I have always hiked and shot and this will take some getting used to. Here are some of my photos from yesterday and this morning.

Male Gambel's Quail (on my fence)

Im not sure if this is a female or juvenile

House Finch I think

White Winged Dove (one of dozens of pictures) The red background is my neighbors Tile roof. We have red tile.

Curved Billed Thrasher

I also got some photos of a female Bronzed cowbird and a few Brown Cowbirds. But I don't like the composition so I didn't process them.

Jun 15, 2015 at 05:05 PM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

Lovely sharp shots!

I rather like the background of the fence (although I'd prefer a more natural perch). But I am not the biggest fan of the red tile background. I'd personally move the cholla so the green background seen in the fence shots was your new background.

But again, just my lowly opinion. Great shots you have there of some very neat birds!

Jun 15, 2015 at 08:09 PM
jhayesvw
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

I agree on the background. I prefer the green too.
The perch is natural though. There are cholla Cacti in the desert about 10 feet from my yard. Lol.

I need to figure out a way to get a cleaner background. My fence is about 5 ft tall so it's hard to shoot over.

Jun 15, 2015 at 08:29 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

Nice setup, I'm in Tucson too and have my front yard with a water feature and a lot of natural vegetation. Recently, other that the White-wings, and mourning doves an a single cottontail and a jillion lizards not much. but in the past it has been javalina,raccoons and the occasional coyote. All this only 3 houses of Broadway,
That quail of yours is a female.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM
jhayesvw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

I just saw a Coyote in front of my house. Ha.
I'm going to modify my yard a bit more for some natural perches. Should make those times when I can't get out early to hike, still able to shoot.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

Nicely done. Love the quail shots.

Birdie

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:30 PM
jhayesvw
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tucson AZ Backyard Birds

Thank you!

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.