New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

Ken_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

I'm looking for a small backpack that will accommodate a full size DSLR, a 24-70 and 70-200 lens for occasional day hikes. I'm considering the Lowepro Flipside 300 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531351-REG/Lowepro_LP35185_PEU_Flipside_300_Backpack_Black.html and the Tamrac Jazz 81 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/919633-REG/tamrac_428151_jazz_81_photo_backpack.html
I like the layout of the Lowepro but am not wild about the access to the pack from the back side.
I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

I have the Flipside 300. It does hold a lot of stuff in a very compact size and is very well-made. I have had mine for years and it still looks new... no tears or loose stitches. The straps are comfortable and the bag sits nicely on the shoulders. I've used it quite a bit for urban walkabouts but never hiking specifically. This bag is good for when it's very hot outside or if you are prone to sweating, since it doesn't hug your entire back like some of the wider bags do.

But yes the back-side access basically requires you to take the pack off whenever you want to get your gear. So if you need to access your gear on the fly, then this is not the bag for you -- come to think of it the Tamrac bag seems to suffer from the same problem even though the access is from the front side. If quick access is important to you then you may want to check out sling packs or messenger bags.

Jun 15, 2015 at 01:16 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

F-Stop Guru.

Jun 15, 2015 at 04:57 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

Thanks for the info Dave and Dude. I had looked at the F-stop pack but the medium slope ICU is out of stock and I need it next week. Quick pack access isn't is paramount for me. I'm more concerned about my gear fitting and the pack be comfortable.

Jun 15, 2015 at 07:27 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

Contact bear images in Palo Alto. They have one.

Jun 15, 2015 at 08:42 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Recommendations For A Small Backpack

I have had the flipide 500 for about six months now and love it for the most part. I did not think I would like the back access either when I bought it but I actually prefer it now. The 500 is huge! It is a great backpack for the money and I would imagine the 300 is built just as well.

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.