Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

bboule
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

Just kind of sharing this to see if anyone else has seen it. I was able to recover but if it happens again I will definitely be contacting Adobe. Maybe I need to anyway before I do anything more.

I usually do an edit session every Sunday night. My workflow is like this:

- Import camera cards from whatever camera I've used that week (configured to store a copy on the local HD + a backup on our NAS)
- Import my wife's iphone & my iphone (Same thing in terms of keeping a backup)
- Go through and pick out 10-15 keepers from the week
- Edit & Print those pictures for a print journal we keep for our son.
- Do any other stuff I want to do such as other prints, sharing to social media, etc..
- Exit LR to get the catalog backup to happen

Last night I went through the whole process but then decided I wanted to share an additional picture up to facebook. I re-open LR and the entire session I had done was gone. All the masters were gone from the LR catalog, literally everything was gone that I had done that night.

I re-imported all the files from the backup on the NAS but I found the bug pretty frightening. The second time everything went fine. I'm going to add a step in here somewhere to verify this hasn't happened before I begin doing edits.

I've been using LR since 2012 and never seen anything like this. I had been using Aperture from 2006-2012 and had seen some weird issues with Aperture around libary/catalog handling but nothing this severe.

Jun 15, 2015 at 08:49 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

Are you absolutely sure that your camera files had been completely downloaded and written to your HD and that the Catalogue had completed the Import before you Quit out of Lr?

Once the image files are on your HD, they can be imported into an Lr Catalogue at any later time.

Make it a habit to Back-up your Catalogue before quitting too.

Jun 15, 2015 at 05:17 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

I mentioned in my first post I have LR set to make a backup of the catalog everytime I exit.

I've reproduced this bug many times at this point. I can reproduce it very easily without doing any edits or library work after doing an import.

I'm starting a brand new catalog.. I think LR has corrupted my catalog at this point.

I've posted in the Adobe Forums hopefully I'll hear something constructive.

Jun 21, 2015 at 07:46 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

Holy cow!

Keep us updated? Maybe share a link to your post at Adobe? So if someone else has it happen, they can post there instead of starting a new thread.

Jun 21, 2015 at 08:04 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

Here is my post in the Adobe Forums.. no responses so far.

Lightroom CC "losing" my imports

Jun 23, 2015 at 08:30 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

the only problem I have had in Lightroom is every so often my imports are not in the catalog by date (as I usually have them). I try to do another import and Lightroom shows them as a duplicate import.
I find the files in recent (or latest?) [don't have lightroom open to remember what they call it] import just above all of my other imports.
Not sure if this helps for you to look there.
I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong but this has happened to me a few times.

Jun 23, 2015 at 08:36 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

When this happens to me the files can't be found in any way as far as I know.

They are missing in the filesystem display, missing in the "All Photos" display, missing in any collections they were added to, etc..

As far as I can tell the only place they go is to the secondary backup location.

It's super weird as everything seems normal until you exit Lightroom. The first couple times I saw this I went all the way through my workflow (import, catalog, edit, print) and everything went fine and the files vanished when I shut lightroom down.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

maybe you have corrupt hard drive...
check the event viewer for any delayed write/fail messages.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:31 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

I think I've figured out what this is..

The Stupid Adobe CC App Manager had installed multiple versions of LR on my machine at the same time.. I thought it was just doing an "upgrade" but it installed the new "Lightroom CC" along side "Lightroom 5.7 64-bit". Then some of the shortcuts were opening one version and some another. I think I might have somehow opened the library in the old version after it had been upgraded.

I've cleaned up this mess and hopefully it will go away.

I had 3 versions of Photoshop installed as well (CC, CC 2014, CC 2015)! I never really use Photoshop and there is no library so not as big of a deal there.

Jul 04, 2015 at 07:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Saw a super scary LR 6 (CC) bug last night..

Yep that's it .
The move to the next full number is not an update but a full install .

My machine has both LR5 and LRCc on . But I think it removed PS CC2014 when it installed ps cc 2015

The LR problem isn't helped by the icons looking near dam the same .

Glad you sorted it out though

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.