New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Newborn Shot

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newborn Shot

Pretty big emotional background on this one - some very close friends of ours lost their first baby 34 weeks into the pregnancy. She had to go through with deliver and it was all-around awful. The emotional payload on that one is nothing short of atomic.

BUT the good news is that they just had a very healthy baby boy last week, and I was able to go over and take some photos for them. I am pretty sure she'll be happy with almost anything, but the situation dictates (at least in my head) that I've really got to do a good job with these.

For this one, I have a few questions:

- how much does the OOF ring detract/distract?
- does the included baby arm on the bottom seem weird or awkward?
- any issues with the mom's hand having more scene mass vs. the dad's? Women bear the brunt, so I'm cool with giving her more of the show.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newborn Shot

More DOF would be a plus. Also if her hand was turned a little more edge-on, that would also be a plus.

Jun 15, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newborn Shot

Always identify the primary hero= Baby Fingers.

The rest is supporting cast.

What I did is crop + rotate + mask + blur + DB......

Now we have leading lines upwards toward the Baby Fingers, triangles to spare and we have a hero

Jun 15, 2015 at 06:53 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newborn Shot

AuntiPode wrote:
More DOF would be a plus. Also if her hand was turned a little more edge-on, that would also be a plus.

---------------------------------------------

Almass wrote:
Always identify the primary hero= Baby Fingers.

The rest is supporting cast.

What I did is crop + rotate + mask + blur + DB......

Now we have leading lines upwards toward the Baby Fingers, triangles to spare and we have a hero

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Duke_1/Fingers1_zpsruti1r27.jpg

My two portraiture peeps! Thanks for the comments.

Karen - comp with this kinda stuff is something I'm still learning. Unfortunately I can't fix that in post. More DOF would have also been ideal - it was an interesting shooting environment with a number of technical challenges presented!

Almass - neat rework. I think I'll definitely take some of your tweaks and incorporate them.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 15, 2015 at 07:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newborn Shot

+1 @ remember your message.

The challenge here is that your primary message (newborn) brings a very diminutive amount of mass to the weighting / balance. You may want to choose a different perspective / focal length and angle(s).

+1 @ an angle change to her hand changes (lessens) the amount of mass she brings to the balance.

I'm really diggin' the concept of this shot ... pretty killer, imo.

Now, you just have to think it through at how to balance / weight those relationships. You have things like scale & mass, tonal values & contrast and focus / blur to help you balance / harmonize / contrast those relationships.

Fortunately, you likely have re-shoot options for this one. In your head, pull the pieces apart, then re-assemble them to get the relationships how you want them. You know the tools in your toolbox, now it's time to sculpt with mindset of fine craftsmanship.

I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of this one ... pretty powerful stuff @ diamond in the rough.

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:40 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newborn Shot

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ remember your message.

The challenge here is that your primary message (newborn) brings a very diminutive amount of mass to the weighting / balance. You may want to choose a different perspective / focal length and angle(s).

+1 @ an angle change to her hand changes (lessens) the amount of mass she brings to the balance.

I'm really diggin' the concept of this shot ... pretty killer, imo.

Now, you just have to think it through at how to balance / weight those relationships. You have things like scale & mass, tonal values & contrast and focus / blur to help
...Show more

The problem with her hand was the angle was coming from - definitely should have brought her around the other side, but we were rockin' and rolling while the baby was being cooperative.

The good news is that I told them I'd coming over for reshoots if I didn't feel something was up to snuff. This is only my second time doing this, so I am learning more and more each crack at it.

When I go back I am thinking that I'll have this shot set up and captured in less than ten minutes, depending on infant demeanor.

I know the parents would be THRILLED with the OP, but I am looking for great and not good.

Thanks guys, I'll post an update when that goes down.

Jeff

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newborn Shot

beavens wrote:
I know the parents would be THRILLED with the OP, but I am looking for great and not good.

Jeff

The gauntlet has been thrown ... and picked up.

BTW ... you've got "one in the tin" @ your "safety shot". Now it's time to get totally in the zone @ unbridled immersion.

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:57 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newborn Shot

Really diggin the power and meaning of this one Jeff.
Kudo's for being a good friend and sharing your talents with them.

I'm not a people kinda guy but Karen's and Almass critique sounds correct to me.
Much goodness in the Almass edit with the D&B and blur.

Look forward to seeing where you take this one and/or possibly re-shoot.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newborn Shot

RustyBug wrote:
The gauntlet has been thrown ... and picked up.

BTW ... you've got "one in the tin" @ your "safety shot". Now it's time to get totally in the zone @ unbridled immersion.

Yesterday... yesterday was a very stressful day for me. Weight of their emotional world sitting on my shoulders, and the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint. So far, I'm thinking that I will end up being happy with the product and I hope that they will be ecstatic.

It's very nice to know there is a workable version in my back pocket, so now it's time to nail this MFer!

lighthound wrote:
Really diggin the power and meaning of this one Jeff.
Kudo's for being a good friend and sharing your talents with them.

I'm not a people kinda guy but Karen's and Almass critique sounds correct to me.

Look forward to seeing where you take this one and/or possibly re-shoot.

Thanks Dave!

I wouldn't have it any other way - if everyone was more eager to help others maybe this world would be a better place.

I hope there is no possibility for a reshoot and only a guarantee.

Jeff

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newborn Shot

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ remember your message.... primary message (newborn) ......

lighthound wrote:

beavens wrote:
Weight of their emotional world sitting on my shoulders, and the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint.

I know we ask this a lot... but...
Jeff - What IS your message... or the message they've requested?

Seems like it is torn between "newborn" and "success/family after big emotional tragedy"
I think yours and the Almass edit you have do great at "newborn" - with the small hand in focus and the rest as context.

I think if you want to go for "success/family" then you should have everything in very sharp focus.. include mother and father and the ring and the baby..

I am new to the portraits/family photo world... but that's my take on it.

I'm sure either way will be very meaningful and loved by the parents.

Jun 15, 2015 at 03:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newborn Shot

FarmerJohn wrote:
I know we ask this a lot... but...
Jeff - What IS your message... or the message they've requested?

Seems like it is torn between "newborn" and "success/family after big emotional tragedy"
I think yours and the Almass edit you have do great at "newborn" - with the small hand in focus and the rest as context.

I think if you want to go for "success/family" then you should have everything in very sharp focus.. include mother and father and the ring and the baby..

I am new to the portraits/family photo world... but that's my take on it.

I'm sure
...Show more

John,

The message is both - so I'm cool that you're torn on it. The message isn't so much with success in terms of station in life or material belongings, but the adding of a member to the family. The message is also the bond and unity of family.

With the reshoot I'm going to increase the DOF, repose the mother's hand at an angle to reduce mass and repose the baby's hand in order to increase focus.

I am also new to the portrait/family photo world, so I'm currently in "sponge-mode" right now trying to absorb everything and learn as much as possible. I'll tell you, experience helps a lot.

Thanks for the comments!

Jeff

Jun 15, 2015 at 04:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newborn Shot

beavens wrote:
The message is both - so I'm cool that you're torn on it. The message
... the adding of a member to the family. The message is also the bond and unity of family.
Deep.

+1 @ the emotive of stress when shooting for others. Some folks are impervious to it. Others are paralyzed by it. Then there are those who learn to contend with it such that it does not impede, but can provide that "nervous energy" that generates a renewed enthusiasm for each new endeavor, thus never becoming rote or boring ... while building and instilling confidence that then wipes it away over time.

Carry on, carry on.

BTW ... now it's time to nail this MFer!

Jun 15, 2015 at 04:35 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newborn Shot

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ the emotive of stress when shooting for others. Some folks are impervious to it. Others are paralyzed by it. Then there are those who learn to contend with it such that it does not impede, but can provide that "nervous energy" that generates a renewed enthusiasm for each new endeavor, thus never becoming rote or boring ... while building and instilling confidence that then wipes it away over time.

Carry on, carry on.

BTW ...

It wasn't nearly as stressful shooting my niece and nephew for my first time - and that was dealing with twins!

I just feel after all the heartache they endured that I should take any chance I can to do just the opposite.

Reshoot on Thursday.

Jun 15, 2015 at 04:50 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Newborn Shot

beavens wrote:
Karen - comp with this kinda stuff is something I'm still learning. Unfortunately I can't fix that in post. More DOF would have also been ideal - it was an interesting shooting environment with a number of technical challenges presented!

Oh, I know. Most of my critiques, even those illustrated by tweaks and post processing, are intended as suggestions to apply in similar work in the future. Some things you can't do in post processing and most things you can do better if you envision them and plan for them when making the exposure.

Jun 15, 2015 at 06:22 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Newborn Shot

AuntiPode wrote:
Oh, I know. Most of my critiques, even those illustrated by tweaks and post processing, are intended as suggestions to apply in similar work in the future. Some things you can't do in post processing and most things you can do better if you envision them and plan for them when making the exposure.

You're gonna be damn sure that I'm gonna employ your suggestions in a few days.

Since I'm a noob with stuff I am still picking up the ropes.

THANKS!

Jeff

Jun 15, 2015 at 06:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Newborn Shot

beavens wrote:
Since I'm a noob with stuff I am still picking up the ropes.

Aren't we all !!!

Everyday is something new, if only you're willing to journey farther than the day before.
You can never outgrow photography, you can only choose to stop growing.

Jun 15, 2015 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.