New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

and perhaps with the operator!

I recently got the 120-300, as well as the new 1.4x and 2x TCs from Sigma. I have used the lens a bit before today, including with the 1.4x TC. Today was the first day I used the lens with the 2x TC. I had quite a lot of pictures that were out of focus. some looked like they simply hadn't focused while others looked a bit back focused. I'm thinking it may have been operator error on the former but not on the latter. The objects being shot were either reasonably stationary or moderately moving (not BIF).

I did do the docking station micro adjustments for the lens, lens/1.4x and lens/2x combinations; multiple positions for all three, when I got the lens. the problem seems to be more pronounced on objects that are further away. I am thinking I may have done something wrong with the micro adjustment process.

Can anybody point me to a good document on micro adjusting this lens with the docking station or at least give some really good pointers? I have two specific questions:

1) I have read documents on micro adjusting that say your photo subject should be 50x away from the camera. So on a 300mm lens, 15000mm or 15m. With a 2x TC on, then I would need to be 30m away. Question: with the crop body, do I need to multiply the distance by 1.6 or not (so 48m minimum distance or still 30m minimum)? Would this mucker up the micro adjustments?

2) Any pointers on how to take some of the excruciating pain out off micro adjusting with the docking station. Unlike micro adjusting with the camera adjustments, it seems to me I have to assess, then connect the docking station and computer, adjust and repeat. There is a different way of doing this, right? Right?! I really hope so! This is so slow!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

EverLearning wrote:
2) Any pointers on how to take some of the excruciating pain out off micro adjusting with the docking station. Unlike micro adjusting with the camera adjustments, it seems to me I have to assess, then connect the docking station and computer, adjust and repeat. There is a different way of doing this, right? Right?! I really hope so! This is so slow!

Sure, just do it in-camera and forget about using the dock for MA.

Jun 15, 2015 at 01:02 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

For what it is worth, I've used a Canon 1.4X on my Canon 300 f/2.8 and it works perfectly. But for some reason I lose focus quite often with a 2X when shooting action like baseball. I kinda suspect that a 2X might be a bit more prone to missing, though it is still quite useful in a pinch.

Jun 15, 2015 at 08:50 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

OK Imagemaster, you got me there! . I was thinking maybe there is a better way to use the docking station than how I was using it.

I noticed in the 7DM2 instruction manual it states:

"If [Adjust by lens] is selected and an Extender is used, the adjustment will be registered for the lens and Extender combination"

and

"For a zoom lens, select the side-angle (W) or telephoto (T) end."

So you lose the ability to do an adjustment between the minimum and maximum focal lengths of a zoom lens if using the camera MA rather than the docking station, but that doesn't strike me as being too important.

Are there any other draw backs to using the camera MA rather than Sigma's docking station?

I presume I could reset the lens MA for the lens/2x combo, use the camera MA for that combo but continue to use the lens MA for the lens only and lens/1.4x combo (as I have them adjusted satisfactorily already)?

Thanks

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

As far as I can see, you have the option of setting the MA in-camera or on the dock with the lens. I guess if the MA adjustment is out of range, you can then combine both.

I have never had to MA a 100-400 lens and if I had to, I would only do it at 400mm. I doubt that a 100-400 that focuses correctly at 400mm would be off-focus at 100mm enough for me to worry about.

My 150-600 has a dock MA of -15 for the bare lens, and +15 for it plus the 1.4x. I only did the MA for 600mm.

Any advantage to in-camera MA over dock MA or vice-versa? I don't know.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:54 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Challenge with 7DMII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 Sport

The 50x focal length is a general rule of thumb. The trumping recommendation is to use your mostmost common in-field distance with the zoomed focal length to do mfa.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.