New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

bhairavp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D810-36-3-MP-FX-format-Full-HD-1080p-Video-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/121478063164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c48a8243c

Unbelievable!

Jun 14, 2015 at 03:28 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Screaming deal on an import camera.

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:23 AM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Ah....but it says NO manufacturer's warranty!

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:59 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

butlerkid wrote:
Ah....but it says NO manufacturer's warranty!

You mean it's that cheap, AND you don't risk impact damage? I'm in!

Jun 14, 2015 at 08:22 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

I recently was considering a switch to a Mac computer. I was shocked to see how well they held their value. My 2year old D800 is only worth 1250 today. I paid about 2700 for it. That's
greater then 50% depreciation in about 2 years. It's a great camera so I'll hold on to it. When I can but a d810 for about 1200 or so, which I guess will take another year, I'll buy one. I think Nikon bodies depreciates faster then other brands, because they are constanly introducing new models, in order to drive sales.This does lilltle to encourage brand loyality
and the stratagey can't go on forever.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
I recently was considering a switch to a Mac computer. I was shocked to see how well they held their value. My 2year old D800 is only worth 1250 today. I paid about 2700 for it. That's
greater then 50% depreciation in about 2 years. It's a great camera so I'll hold on to it. When I can but a d810 for about 1200 or so, which I guess will take another year, I'll buy one. I think Nikon bodies depreciates faster then other brands, because they are constanly introducing new models, in order to drive sales.This does lilltle
...Show more

You seem to contradict yourself, saying they don't encourage brand loyalty, but then cite that you will buy the D810 and they are always introducing new models (encouraging upgrading by fans who like the latest and greatest). You think Nikon prices are volitile, you should look at Sony. Their A7 cameras have been heavily discounted new much faster than other brands.

If NIkon's new cameras didn't justify their release with new desirable features then their old cameras wouldn't drop in price (e.g., the 610 and 600 pricing is very similar within 100/$200). Cameras are not investments. I personally prefer rapid innovation and release and the bargain used market that it provides. Relatively ancient technology used Canon 5DMKIIIs selling for $1900 is one of the reasons I switched to Nikon and Fuji.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Hi Steve,
I'm loyal to Nikon because I've got quite a few lenses. That's about it.

Jun 15, 2015 at 03:18 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
Hi Steve,
I'm loyal to Nikon because I've got quite a few lenses. That's about it.

Seems they are still are doing well enough with their lineup to keep you planning to upgrade

Personally I'm happy with my D700, but its good to have options

Jun 15, 2015 at 06:28 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

I can't afford to take that big a hit on the lenses, which also depreciate faster then Canon glass.I agree that cameras aren't investments. For me,Nikon sensor superiority is their most important advantage.In my opinion their customer support certainly stinks. Look al lI'm trying
to say here is that I don't think Nikon cameras should depreciate faster then Apple computers. It doesn't make any sense to me. If someone who is objective could figure this out, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
I can't afford to take that big a hit on the lenses, which also depreciate faster then Canon glass.I agree that cameras aren't investments. For me,Nikon sensor superiority is their most important advantage.In my opinion their customer support certainly stinks. Look al lI'm trying
to say here is that I don't think Nikon cameras should depreciate faster then Apple computers. It doesn't make any sense to me. If someone who is objective could figure this out, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Apple computers are just built really well and the pace of innovation in the space is much less than digital cameras. A macbook will last a long time, people no longer are chasing after the latest and greatest they just work. There isn't anything that the new MacBooks can do that the old ones can't the only thing that has moved the bar forward for them is the retina display, but the macbook air sells just fine without one, so its not exactly a killer must have feature. Also the latest MacBooks have fewer moving parts to break with them no longer having mechanical hard drives, SSD are pretty reliable and shock resistant, there is no "shutter count" time to death that you have to take into account like camera bodies.

A better comparison is the iPhone which has a camera that is constantly updated and is more of a personal take anywhere device that is subject to abuse. If you look at an iPhone 5S which is equivalent to a D800 (one model behind) the D810 is the iPhone 6 (current model), you will see the iPhone 5S sells for much less than half the new price as well. The depreciation is about the same. No magic here, just market demand at work.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Steve,
Thank you for your insights!

Jun 18, 2015 at 02:34 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Also note that D800 depreciation is Nikon's own doing. D700 did not depreciate nearly as much.

The problem with D800 depreciation is because
1. The AF problems created lots of returns and thus cheap resell into refurbished
2. D810 came out sooner than normal refresh cycle

D810 and other current cameras are seeing cheap grey market items because of cheap Yen compared to USD. Nikon USA (and US branches of all other photo mfr) continue to gouge high prices from their customers in the name of warranty. What they are doing is try to raise the topline in an era of sinking sales. Hence importers are able to dump products at several hundred dollars less.

Jun 23, 2015 at 02:47 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Catch-22. $2100 is too much to spend on a camera without a warranty, but $2999 is too much to spend a camera that costs $2100 grey market (for me anyway).

I did an informal study comparing Mac and PC prices a few years back. Macs are more expensive but hold value, PCs are cheaper but value plummets. It turned out the net out-of-pocket was about the same either way.

However Macs are much easier to sell, since nobody wants to buy a 3-4 year old PC. I wonder if Canon/Nikon have the same ratio.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
greater then 50% depreciation in about 2 years. It's a great camera so I'll hold on to it. When I can but a d810 for about 1200 or so, which I guess will take another year, I'll buy one. I think Nikon bodies depreciates faster then other brands, because they are constanly introducing new models, in order to drive sales.This does lilltle
...Show more

I don't know how old you are, Jim, but if you were a film shooter you will remember how much film and developing used to cost way back when. I think we have to stop thinking of modern digital cameras as an investment but almost as a throw away commodity. If we say that a roll of film costs say $7.00 for 36 exposure and you shoot say 5,000 images per year (not a lot to many photographers these days), that eqautes to about 140 rolls of film at a cost of close to $1,000 and that's before processing which will add more to the cost. Keep your camera for 2 years and sell it for $1250 in your example above and you have covered the cost of the camera that you have saved in film costs (and that doesn't include processing). In fact, you are actually ahead as the film would have cost you $2,000 without processing and you would have sold it for a difference of $1450 saving you $550, using your example above. This is forgetting that you would have still had to buy a film camera anyway.

Added to all this, you can almost shoot as many frames as you like with digital look at your results immediately to hone your technique. Couldn't do that with film! With my birding and wildlife photos, I can rattle off as many frames as I like just to try to make sure I get that "perfect" shot, which would not have been all that possible with film.

As for Nikon's depreciating more than other brands, I am not so sure about that and even if it is so, I think the difference is minimal at best, and when taken in context with the savings compared to film, I almost forget about the cost of the camera.

Jun 23, 2015 at 05:41 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Hi Lance,
I'm so old my first camera was a Daguerotype Are you arguing that not having the cost of film and processing cancels out the depreciation of used digital equipment? That is certainly true to some extent, but what I'm having difficulty understanding is why Apple can make high tech products that hold their value and camera makers and Nikon in particular can't.
I think that Apple understands and expects people to hold on to their equipment, whereas Nikon doesn't want people to hold on to their cameras and takes shortcuts with quality control and churns out new cameras models much too rapidly. They appear to me to be a very poorly managed organization that is trading on a once great, but now tarnished reputation. That's not to say that they don't make some great stuff. In my opinion they never should have gotten into the consumer slr and point and shoot businesses and should have concentrated on higher end quality stuff. They never were a mass market company.

Jun 23, 2015 at 06:29 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
Hi Lance,
I'm so old my first camera was a Daguerotype Are you arguing that not having the cost of film and processing cancels out the depreciation of used digital equipment? That is certainly true to some extent, but what I'm having difficulty understanding is why Apple can make high tech products that hold their value and camera makers and Nikon in particular can't.
I think that Apple understands and expects people to hold on to their equipment, whereas Nikon doesn't want people to hold on to their cameras and takes shortcuts with quality control and churns out new cameras models
...Show more

I don't think anyone should really be in the P&S business anymore; my iPhone camera performs that function very, very well. I suspect Nikon's P&S sales are declining, and that they are making little profit on the cameras they do sell.

Jun 23, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

jim allison wrote:
Hi Lance,
I think that Apple understands and expects people to hold on to their equipment, whereas Nikon doesn't want people to hold on to their cameras and takes shortcuts with quality control and churns out new cameras models
...Show more

What drives second hand prices is what people are prepared to pay for them and what new products are released and how much of a leap in technology they have achieved. That's just basic supply and demand and technology advancement. Nikon can't sit on it's hands whilst there is new technology for the ready or they'll be left behind. You can't expect Nikon to not introduce a D800 or a D810 just so that second hand camera prices are kept high, they will lose market share to Canon and also Sony who is moving quite quickly into the market specifically targetting those Nikon users. The D800 was the one thing that put Nikon back on the map, just like the D700 did. Also, you can't use Apple as an example as - sorry for this - you are not comparing apples to apples. If you want to use examples, why not look at TV prices, buy a 55" TV last year and it's almost worthless this year simply because of technology upgrades. I'm sorry, but you can't blame Nikon for the second hand camera prices, that is just a fact of technology getting better by the second, we demand better cameras and Nikon delivers. There are threads everywhere where people are wondering where the D900 is with the 54Mp sensor! So, who's driving the push for better cameras? Nikon? The Users?, The competition? I think all three and it's not necessarily a bad thing, that's just progress. As I keep saying, I don't see how people can think that a camera is an investment, it's almost a disposable commodity with the way technology is advancing, and like I said, it is way cheaper than film.

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:24 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Lance B wrote:
What drives second hand prices is what people are prepared to pay for them and what new products are released and how much of a leap in technology they have achieved. That's just basic supply and demand and technology advancement. Nikon can't sit on it's hands whilst there is new technology for the ready or they'll be left behind. You can't expect Nikon to not introduce a D800 or a D810 just so that second hand camera prices are kept high, they will lose market share to Canon and also Sony who is moving quite quickly into the market
...Show more

Not sure what historical film prices should have to do with modern purchasing decisions. E-mail is a lot cheaper than sending letters, but that doesn't impact how much I decide to spend on a new computer.

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:45 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

Well, if you read what I replied to Jim's first post regarding what cameras go for second hand, then you'd know why.

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:54 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D810 - 2100$

What really holds value as far as anything electronic or mechanical?

A new airplane?
A new car?
A new motorcycle?
A new flat screen TV?
A new home theatre sound system??
Cell phones? No...

This list goes on and on and on...

The thing is, you can be totally happy with your first D40 no one's twisting your arm to upgrade. It's all voluntary.

stevez32 wrote:
Not sure what historical film prices should have to do with modern purchasing decisions. E-mail is a lot cheaper than sending letters, but that doesn't impact how much I decide to spend on a new computer.

I see email as expensive, unless you're freeloading off work paying the bill you have to have an ISP for around $50 a month, or a smart phone. You can try and slice and dice the cost among web browsing, Netflix, etc. but there is a cost. IMO it's also just crap communication versus a well crafted letter on fine paper. Crafting a letter is a skill, almost a dying art.

Edited on Jun 24, 2015 at 09:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.