New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

My D600 is nearly two years old and has 9570 clicks on it. Today, when I went to take a picture, I got an "Err" displayed where the shutter and aperture info is usually shown on the top and back LCDs. I could still manual focus, but if I tried to take a picture, I'd hear the usual shutter click followed by a strange whirring sound (and the picture wouldn't take).

A quick google search showed me that 1) the shutter might be on it's way out, which would be sort of strange since I didn't think 9.5k actuations was that much at all 2) the mirror might be stuck.

I cleaned the lens contacts and camera contacts, tried a different lens, did a factory reset, and nothing worked.

But then I just kept clicking the shutter and magically, the error message disappeared and the camera is functioning well again.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I can't send the camera to Nikon as I'm currently working in Germany for the summer and the camera was purchased at home in the U.S.

I have a major, two-week hiking/camping trip in the Swiss Alps coming up - i.e. not a situation I want my camera to crap out in. Is the shutter on its way out? Should I be worried that I'll have recurring issues?

Edited on Jun 13, 2015 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:35 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

probably the memory card. I've seen this and reseating the SD card fixed it in my D600. Was a similar situation, way up Mount Whitney and I was going "NOW the camera has to die on me?" Swapped the card for a backup, but next time I tried the offending card it worked again.

It was the only time I've ever seen that error code on my camera. It was pretty early on, around 3000 clicks.

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:50 PM
justindong
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

Removing the SD card didn't fix the problem though. It only fixed itself after I pressed the shutter a few times

Also, a bit of an unrelated question, but I'll be in Germany for quite a while longer still. Was thinking of buying a lens here and am a bit confused on what exactly constitutes grey market. If I buy a lens from an authorized Nikon distributor in Germany, then based on this Nikon page (https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/~/what-is-gray-market%3F) it technically isn't grey market since I'm not purchasing from an importer. If I need service on this lens when I'm back in the U.S. and can produce a legitimate receipt to prove it was purchased in Germany, will Nikon USA service it?

I found only two sources on google that might indicate the answer could be yes. photo.net and dpreview (email correspondence in 5th or so reply. Just wondering if anyone can chime in a bit more definitely.I'll try emailing Nikon USA when they're open on Monday

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:58 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

I have had it happen and nothing would fix, not changing memory cards, batteries, lenses, anything. When I rotated the Aperture dial to change apertures the Err went away. Not sure if that helps you.

Jim

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM
hiudufhuk

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D600 shutter "err" then fixed itself

You can also use following solutions to fix err message on your dslr:
The reason why this error comes up, is because your camera is not properly communicating with your lens due to some dirt and grease both on camera and lens contacts. The solution is pretty simple – all you have to do is dismount your lens and clean the lens contacts, then clean camera contacts and mount the lens back on the camera and see what happens. Sounds too complicated? Are you afraid to damage your camera and/or lens? Then keep reading Nikon D600 Manual , because it will show you exactly what needs to be done.

May 17, 2017 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.