New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · blending workflow for DPP users

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · blending workflow for DPP users

I've been agonizing over trying to decide with going to the new Lightroom CC, after using Canon's DPP raw processor, pretty much since i went digital when the Canon 1D2N and 5D were released.

I did try Lightroom 2 for a couple of months, but struggled with the following lightroom workflow:
1) necessity to use the library structure and always work with the library. I only have a macbook Pro and my workflow consists of creating a file structure on my Macbook Pro, processing the files and than moving the processed files to external portable hard drives. If I ever wanted to rework the files, i transfer them back to my laptop to work on them.
2) Until LR CC, you couldn't merge files anyways, or do some of the other editing in LR itself and had to use PS - and i really found PS overwhelming (only ever had PS CS2), and ended up only using it for creating Pano's of processed JPG or TIFF files.
3) In DPP, when sharpening, I typically just used the sharpening slider to 3 or 4. In LR you need to use the unsharp mask, and while i got Kelby's PS CS2 book, i still struggled with understanding how to use the unsharp mask (i.e. setting radius, amount, when to use different settings, etc). even the DPP 4 now has unsharp mask as well, i don't use that.
4) Similarly with noise reduction - in DPP, i pretty much just go by feel using the sliders in DPP, but really felt uncomfortable in PS and LR.

Since I only used DPP, i really haven't ever merged files of different exposures. Pretty much restricted myself to using ND Grad filters to deal with dynamic range issues. When the 5D3 introduced HDR in DPP, i really never used it, since I found it pretty limiting, where it seemed like any of the edits made to individual files were ignored when you use the HDR merge in DPP. I found this to be a huge challenge, because of the following reasons:

1. I've always shot using Auto WB and then set the WB when processing, so using HDR merge in DPP, i'm unable to get the WB i want
  2. Inablility to change saturation, highlight/shadow, contrast settings afterwards in the DPP merged file

I've watched a few of the LR CC tutorials and am debating whether to try LR, since it looks like you do have the ability to make adjustments to the merged file, before processing it as a JPG or TIFF file and all of the edits are still non-destructive. LR CC also has ability to stitch Panos. Where I'm leary about are the following:

1. Necessity to have the file directory setup. As i said, I tend to work on files on my Macbook Pro hard drive, but move files to external portable drives when I need space.
  2. I'm comfortable with DPP when it comes to using the sliders for sharpening and noise reduction, am clueless using unsharp mask or NR in LR/PS
  3. I'm comfortable setting saturation, contrast, WB in DPP, unsure about LR
  4. Overall fear of change - very comfortable with DPP, not comfortable at all in LR (i.e. using curves in LR)

For these reasons, before trying LR CC, i wanted to find out are there others who are doing everything (i.e. merging files) only using DPP and if so, what is there workflow. I'm trying to figure out if I was doing something wrong when I was merging files. That is is my assumption incorrect that you can't make adjustments to WB, Saturation, contrast on individual files before merging, or is there a way to make adjustments to the merged files, like you can in Adobe CC, or am i just missing something.

I'd appreciate any advice and feedback on workflow and how to improve my processing skills!

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · blending workflow for DPP users

I often merge multiple landscapes exposures I created in DPP. Typically I optimize one for shadows and another for mids/highs. If dynamic range is extreme, I use three. In sunlit landscapes, shadows are often awkwardly blue, so I reduce blue or monkey with WB to taste. Once I have the two or three optimized 16-bit TIFFs, I open them in PS, each one in a separate layer. I hand blend the layers using masks, soft brushes and the gradient tool and end up with something like this:
http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/downtown_images/Sand_Island_0878sign.jpg

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/roundtop_images/Roundtop_0928sign.jpg

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:59 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · blending workflow for DPP users

Gochugogi wrote:
I often merge multiple landscapes exposures I created in DPP. Typically I optimize one for shadows and another for mids/highs. If dynamic range is extreme, I use three. In sunlit landscapes, shadows are often awkwardly blue, so I reduce blue or monkey with WB to taste. Once I have the two or three optimized 16-bit TIFFs, I open them in PS, each one in a separate layer. I hand blend the layers using masks, soft brushes and the gradient tool and end up with something like this:

Thanks for sharing your workflow. Looks like you aren't actually using the HDR merge in DPP than and doing the blending in PS. I'm really trying to avoid having to use PS and am trying to figure out if is possible to do decent blending in DPP using the HDR processing within DPP, or if everything can be done within LR CC.

Jun 13, 2015 at 06:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · blending workflow for DPP users

I tried HDR merge but it doesn't allow the control I need. Besides, I started using PS in 1095, long before Aperture and LR existed, so it feels more natural and easier to use. I'd do the RAW tweak/conversion in PS but I'm too cheap to keep up with all the Adobe updates, and my cameras are newer than my ACR. I'm still living in 2011 with CS5.1.

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · blending workflow for DPP users

Gochugogi wrote:
I tried HDR merge but it doesn't allow the control I need. Besides, I started using PS in 1095, long before Aperture and LR existed, so it feels more natural and easier to use.

Know what you mean. I was using the end of a partially-burnt stick in 1095. Middle ages sucked. I moved up to a 386SX in the mid-1400's.

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:43 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · blending workflow for DPP users

Sheesh, I slipped again. Now everybody knows I drink blood and walk the earth as a member of the undead...

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · blending workflow for DPP users

Where's Van Halen when you need him?

(Van Helsing would make more sense, but I think Eddie plays a better guitar.)

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:26 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · blending workflow for DPP users

Gochugogi wrote:
I tried HDR merge but it doesn't allow the control I need. Besides, I started using PS in 1095, long before Aperture and LR existed, so it feels more natural and easier to use. I'd do the RAW tweak/conversion in PS but I'm too cheap to keep up with all the Adobe updates, and my cameras are newer than my ACR. I'm still living in 2011 with CS5.1.

Glad to hear i wasn't just using the HDR merge in DPP wrong and it actually is pretty limited. I saw the video that LR CC has for their HDR merge tool and thought i may be using the Canon tool wrong. I wish Canon had better tutorials/guides available for DPP. I pretty much just figured things out on my own, but not having really used any other raw processor, other than trying to figure out LR 2 years ago, i'm not sure that i'm optimizing what is available in DPP. I got the Shelby PS CS2 book, but really hated PS - found it was too complex and had too many things i didn't need.

LR CC seems more focused for photography and with it now having HDR, merging files for Panos and selective area adjustments, I'm thinking i can probably use it in on its own without having to touch PS. However, I have read from a number of users that the colours from DPP can't be matched in LR. I also don't feel comfortable with using the sharpening, noise reduction or curves in LR, as i do in DPP.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:38 AM
yelloguy2
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · blending workflow for DPP users

Regarding the LR library features - I used LR as a standalone app for many years. You can add to the library as a small inconvenient step, do the edits and save those edits as a sidecar XMP file. Then carry on with your file management knowing fully well that the XMP will restore all your edits to any Lightroom library in the future (caution: it merges all edits in one step, though). That is the key to using LR as a standalone app. Just ignore all the library features.
Only last few months, I have decided to adapt my workflow to LR and start using the Library more. This after I found that my file explorer ways of handling these files were getting in the way of searching and tagging the files. I find the added hassle of library to be totally worth the ability to search for, for example, all 6D shots (or 24-105).

Jun 14, 2015 at 09:40 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · blending workflow for DPP users

I know Arthur Morris firmly believes in DPP

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · blending workflow for DPP users

Have you considered On1's suite? Do your DPP thing then blend in a layered workflow with On1. Its really simpler than Photoshop.

Jun 14, 2015 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.