New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Octabox with grid question

naypay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Octabox with grid question

I want to get an octabox softbox. I'm looking at the paul buff 47 inch since I have alien bees.

I've never used grids. I kind of understand the idea. I'm assuming it will keep the light in the area I have it directed towards and not spill so much to the side walls and the background.

I seldom shoot models. I do shoot a lot of older women that prefer to look younger. Will the grid cause the light on the subject to be less soft or is it mainly about the spill on the sides?

Thanks so much for any replies.

Jun 12, 2015 at 08:05 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Octabox with grid question

the grid will make the light on the subject slightly less soft because there won't be as much bouncing around the room filling in shadows.

if you just point the softbox right at their face, you'll see essentially no difference on their face whether it's gridded or not. with the grid you will see the light fall off more down towards their waist.

perhaps a more common use of a gridded softbox is to feather the edge of the light just barely onto the subject. done precisely, you can light someone's face while barely having any light fall on their ear.

Jun 13, 2015 at 03:05 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Octabox with grid question

if you're shooting older women you should feather the light. The grid restrains light and gives more shadows. Depends on your style too, i really like shadows on older people, but its up to you to choose. It would just be safer to give more even light and move your octobox at a angle so the light doesn't spill everywhere, but close enough to give great soft even light.

Jun 13, 2015 at 03:19 AM
naypay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Octabox with grid question

thanks so much for the feedback. It makes sense.

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:55 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Octabox with grid question

brett maxwell wrote:
the grid will make the light on the subject slightly less soft because there won't be as much bouncing around the room filling in shadows.

if you just point the softbox right at their face, you'll see essentially no difference on their face whether it's gridded or not. with the grid you will see the light fall off more down towards their waist.

perhaps a more common use of a gridded softbox is to feather the edge of the light just barely onto the subject. done precisely, you can light someone's face while barely having any light fall on their ear.

Well put. Couldn't have said it better.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.