New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Jackpot!

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jackpot!

A little South African squirrel perched in a tree with a nice little snack.

The massive negative space felt right to me - what do you think?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jun 12, 2015 at 05:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jackpot!

I might like to see some alternate amounts of negative space, but it isn't a problem for me.

My nit is the amount of mass / detail / tonal contrast in the tree consumes the amount of detail / tonal contrast in the snack. If the snack is integral, it is being tremendously overshadowed by the dominance of the tree mass and contrast. Might be a little less aggressive on the tree to help the little guy's cause a bit (by comparison).

Jun 12, 2015 at 05:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jackpot!

RustyBug wrote:
I might like to see some alternate amounts of negative space, but it isn't a problem for me.

My nit is the amount of mass / detail / tonal contrast in the tree consumes the amount of detail / tonal contrast in the snack. If the snack is integral, it is being tremendously overshadowed by the dominance of the tree mass and contrast. Might be a little less aggressive on the tree to help the little guy's cause a bit (by comparison).

You know I'm a sucker for contrast, ha.

I want the tree to be a component of the shot for sure, but don't want it dominating the squirrel.

I shall play!

Thanks Kent.

Jun 12, 2015 at 05:51 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jackpot!

Another try.

Jun 12, 2015 at 06:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jackpot!

That's an improved amount of balance between the mass of the tree and the contrast of the tree to help with re-weighting / rebalancing the composite elements.

The blank neg space might benefit from the (possible lesser amount) toning (possible subtle gradient @ L-R or R-L or ) treatment.

Jun 12, 2015 at 06:38 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jackpot!

RustyBug wrote:
That's an improved amount of balance between the mass of the tree and the contrast of the tree to help with re-weighting / rebalancing the composite elements.

The blank neg space might benefit from the (possible lesser amount) toning (possible subtle gradient @ L-R or R-L or ) treatment.

So increase exposure slightly L-R?

Super subtle gradient below.

Jun 12, 2015 at 07:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jackpot!

I like the negative space.
I think I prefer the version without exposure increase
I think the challenge is whether to try to separate the squirrel more from the tree, but subtle and judicious lightening, or keep the message about how they blend in.
Scott

Jun 14, 2015 at 09:06 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jackpot!

sbeme wrote:
I like the negative space.
I think I prefer the version without exposure increase
I think the challenge is whether to try to separate the squirrel more from the tree, but subtle and judicious lightening, or keep the message about how they blend in.
Scott

I feel like I'm close to this one, just not quite there yet.

Thanks for the comments, Scott.

Jeff

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jackpot!

Here's a (rough concept) sample of the gradient I was thinking @ having the far right side darker tone, behind the squirrel, lighter toned via a (horizontal) falloff. Probably needs to be a bit more subtle than it shows here (somewhat exaggerated for conceptual illustration), but having the slightly darker right side helps push us back to the lighter middle / left side. Also, the lighter side behind the squirrel, provide more contrast to pull us to the subject.

Otherwise, the mass of the negative space brighter tonal value competes to pull us rightward (i.e. away from subject). Just looking for a touch to help push us back to the left.

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:17 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jackpot!

Okay I got you now! I wasn't sure which way you were going with the gradient - I read that as you were looking for a brighter gradient taking you OUT of the image, not a darker one keeping the eyes IN, ha.

Jun 15, 2015 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.