FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Photo Scout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Looking for mustangs in Wyoming we didn't see any at close range, but I thought there might be some potential in getting an animal-scape with this situation. Whether it works or not, I'm not sure. I could go a number of different directions in processing with this one. What do you think?

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/4451925_orig.jpg

Jun 12, 2015 at 01:52 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Another possible version: For some reason I am not getting the "look" with these that I would think ought to come. I suppose I am aiming for the feel of majestic landscape images.

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/3692210_orig.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jun 12, 2015 at 02:00 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mustangs on the Skyline

This is nice, but I agree it's not quite right. I'd try selecting the foreground and brightening that area. I'd also consider cropping from the left side and bottom to put more emphasis on the horses. I hope these suggestions help your thinking process on this image ~ Ron

Jun 12, 2015 at 05:39 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Thanks for the feedback Ron, I have been playing with your suggestions.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:29 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Try a pano crop, keeping most of the clouds. And maybe a graduated filter to darken the sky and recover a little of the foreground.

Jun 13, 2015 at 01:30 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mustangs on the Skyline

I agree with Ron about cropping on the left side. I'd also lose some foreground and keep the horses about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. The mountain range as the mid plain works well and I like the mustangs in silhouette. To my eye it feels like the sky and white clouds need to be darkened. There's something good here I think...

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:50 AM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Thanks for the suggestions on my image folks. Here are a couple more versions, one as a panorama, and one cropped so that the horses are 1/3 from the bottom and there is more sky.

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/4768268_orig.jpg

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/6/6/52662617/9356556_orig.jpg

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mustangs on the Skyline

One of the problems with your image I see is that there is no anchor point so my eyes keep wandering w/o resting. Too many horses scattered all over the image.
The composition, with the first horizon line positioned almost mid-frame, looks very static. You need to decide which one, the land or the sky, you want to be prominent. In other words you need to emphasize one element of your image in order to maintain its dominance in the composition. An all-inclusive attitude most of the times cause a visual confusion on the viewer.
Another aspect that, IMO, needs to be emphasized are the colors. They look a bit dull on my monitor, which together with the low contrast makes the image... well... dull.
So here are my suggestions.
Move the horizon line up or down according to what you like to be more prominent
Enhance the contrast and make the color more vivid.
I also believe you need to play a bit with the WB.
Hope this helps.
Socrate

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:53 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mustangs on the Skyline

Socreate,

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to give me some instruction. For reasons of the content of the image, I won't be able to make this image check all the boxes; nonetheless, I'll take another look at it and see if it can be improved in the ways you mentioned.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.