New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The Lost Coast, Northern CA - B&W Series

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Lost Coast, Northern CA - B&W Series

The Lost Coast is one of the few truly pristine coast lines left in the lower 48, and I found it invigorating to explore this spring.

Despite California being in a continued drought, there were still many wildflowers and beautiful colors to be seen and photographed, however I couldn't help creating at least a handful of B&W images too. Enjoy!

I must say, this is a place I could visit every year and never tire of. I will definitely return on a year when the rains are kinder to the flowers; I can only imagine what the poppy-covered hillsides looked in, say, 2005... Either way, beautiful colors or not, there is more to photograph here than I could do justice to in a lifetime.

All images created on a Nikon D750 and Nikon 24-120mm f/4 or Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, single exposures, processed in Lightroom CC.

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/photos/i-cK3ztCX/0/O/i-cK3ztCX.jpg
#1 - Bear prints are not uncommon on the beaches of the Lost Coast. The tide's (approximately) twice-daily erasure of all footprints gives anyone who sees this an interesting revelation: The bear was here very recently! ;-)

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/photos/i-JDHt54D/0/O/i-JDHt54D.jpg
#2 - Driftwood is abundant; sometimes a beach is littered with nothing but small dried seaweed branches, and other times enormous redwood stumps lay half-buried, leaving you to wonder how many yards in diameter they might actually be or how long ago they came to rest in that spot.

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/photos/i-djqN756/0/O/i-djqN756.jpg
#3 - Waves and tides are especially fickle and treacherous on the Northern section of the Lost Coast, with many spots being impassible at high tide. Also, hiking on loose sand and rocks wreaks havoc on ankles, especially the heavier your pack is, or the less supportive your boots are.

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/photos/i-8qC4qqD/0/O/i-8qC4qqD.jpg
#4 - At the North trailhead there is car camping, and a few interesting man-made things to see. The weather is also highly unpredictable. Our trip was uneventful, weather-wise, but log books we read in various places told tales of cold, wet, misery for days on end. Lesson learned: Watch the weather closely, and don't be afraid to cancel / alter plans if rain is predicted!

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/photos/i-nkCPG8V/0/O/i-nkCPG8V.jpg
#5 - The most beautiful stretch of coast may be the one just north of Shelter Cove, which stretches for miles and is particularly gorgeous in the early morning or late afternoon. Just remember to keep an eye on the tides, and rogue waves!

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM
S Cavigliano

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Lost Coast, Northern CA - B&W Series

Very nice series Matthew ^5 I like the composition and subject matter of each shot. And the B&W treatment is also very nice. My only critical comment would be that most of these have BIG beautiful skies. They could look a bit more dramatic with a bit of post processing. This would also help the rest of the scene too, IMO. I brought the last 2 shots (low res files) into CS5 and explored some editing possibilities. The results were extremely good. But since these were such nice shots to begin with, that wasn't at all surprising :-)

I've been saying it for years, but I'll have to get up that way one of these days....lol

Thanks for sharing this series and good work!

SC

Jun 12, 2015 at 01:39 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Lost Coast, Northern CA - B&W Series

S Cavigliano wrote:
Very nice series Matthew ^5 I like the composition and subject matter of each shot. And the B&W treatment is also very nice. My only critical comment would be that most of these have BIG beautiful skies. They could look a bit more dramatic with a bit of post processing. This would also help the rest of the scene too, IMO. I brought the last 2 shots (low res files) into CS5 and explored some editing possibilities. The results were extremely good. But since these were such nice shots to begin with, that wasn't at all surprising :-)

I've been
...Show more

Thank you for the comment! I actually "dialed back" the sky processing on these photos, I felt I had possibly gone a bit over-the-top with making them dramatic. I'll go back to the original NEFs and see if the B&W conversion and burning / dodging can't be a bit more dramatic, then.

Take care,
=Matt=

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.