New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · PhaseOne XF

mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PhaseOne XF

With all the talk about the new Leica Q (and the A7rII over in the Sony forum), I haven't heard much about the new XF from PhaseOne.

While I know few can afford one, I got a chance to try one out tonight with the new IQ3 50 back and I think Phase might just have set the industry on its head.

This is the first camera to get the touch interface right. Control is seamless between the body (including 1.8" touch control panel), back (3.2" touch), tethered PC (same control layout) and tablet (same control layout on iPad). It's also a fully modular design from a firmware standpoint, each function of the body is mechanically independent, so all interactions are controlled by the firmware. This allows a huge degree of software control since there's no physical interlock between either shutter (FP or LS if using an LS lens), mirror action, or AF, and the UI is almost completely configurable (you can pretty much pick what is going to end up on each of the 3 control wheels, or chose one of two canned UI's).

this is what Leica tried with the T and Samsung tried with the Galaxy NX. But Phase seems to actually have pulled it off. They're also promising feature adds in firmware over time.

50MP Tryout by Adam Maas, on Flickr
XF, IQ3 50, 80 LS

Just a quick shot in the couple minutes I got to play with a production XF.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PhaseOne XF

Yeah, it sounds very interesting. However, the fact that there are only renders on the website makes me hesitant to think too much about it. Is the one you saw production or are they in a prototype stage?

Jun 12, 2015 at 01:15 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PhaseOne XF

Lee Saxon wrote:
Yeah, it sounds very interesting. However, the fact that there are only renders on the website makes me hesitant to think too much about it. Is the one you saw production or are they in a prototype stage?

I saw 2 production bodies, one test mule and an early prototype of the mirror box. The shot I took is from a production body. I went to a local launch event and they brought in a model for us to shoot with the XF and an IQ3 50 back.

They're shipping now, with the IQ3 50 and IQ3 60 backs available today and the IQ3 80 back available in mid-July

Jun 12, 2015 at 06:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.