New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 24mm PCE Love!

james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24mm PCE Love!

Here's an image from my 24mm PCE on a recent job. Love this lens. Wish we had a 17mm.

B & W

Jun 11, 2015 at 06:21 PM
Driveitputtit
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24mm PCE Love!

I second you on the lack of a 17mm. May force me someday to pick up a Sony A7rII + Canon's 17mm

Jun 11, 2015 at 08:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24mm PCE Love!

Yeah, I sure wish we had a 17mm!!!

Nice shot too.

Jim

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24mm PCE Love!

I've been finding the 24mm PC-E so useful that I'm debating adding the 45mm PC-E, even though I have the excellent Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART.

Kent in SD

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:36 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24mm PCE Love!

james.d53 wrote:
Here's an image from my 24mm PCE on a recent job. Love this lens. Wish we had a 17mm.

I've had mine since they were first released and have been very happy. Agreed a 17 would be nice and would prompt a salel of my 14-24. Photo is nice with perfect verticals. Sometimes a small amount of keystoning makes the shot look more natural. Can you adjust and repost? Just looking to verify what I've observed in the past. TIA. Dave

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24mm PCE Love!

dasams wrote:
I've had mine since they were first released and have been very happy. Agreed a 17 would be nice and would prompt a salel of my 14-24. Photo is nice with perfect verticals. Sometimes a small amount of keystoning makes the shot look more natural. Can you adjust and repost? Just looking to verify what I've observed in the past. TIA. Dave

This shot is for an architect to document his design of a carwash. I don't know that I would want to add a keystone effect to this image. My camera was on a tripod and perfectly level. My verticals were not adjusted.

Please explain in more detail your suggestion as I am somewhat confused. Are you talking about pulling them in at the top or at the bottom. +1, +2 or -1, -2? How much correction are you suggesting?

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24mm PCE Love!

He's referring to this.
Often times a slight bit of convergence is desirable, since perfectly parallel vertical lines can sometimes look overdone and unrealistic

from this tutorial. Which is must reading for people using tilt-shift lenses.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm

Jun 13, 2015 at 08:20 AM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24mm PCE Love!

ckcarr wrote:
Often times a slight bit of convergence is desirable, since perfectly parallel vertical lines can sometimes look overdone and unrealistic

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Your photo, with perfect verticals, is interpreted by the brain to be diverging (getting wider at the top). A slight tweak toward converging will generate verticals that are pleasing to the eyes. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24mm PCE Love!

dasams wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Your photo, with perfect verticals, is interpreted by the brain to be diverging (getting wider at the top). A slight tweak toward converging will generate verticals that are pleasing to the eyes. Thanks.

I tweaked this a +4.

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:03 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24mm PCE Love!

james.d53 wrote:
I tweaked this a +4.

I think you'll find, as you get more experience with your PCE, that this adjustment improves your images. GL, Dave

Jun 14, 2015 at 08:42 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24mm PCE Love!

james.d53 wrote:
I tweaked this a +4.

What does +4 mean?
Using the lens tilt will not have an effect on the convergence/divergence. The tilt moves the plane of focus, so more or less of the composition is in focus at varying f/stops. The shift allows composition changes.

You will need to physically tilt the lens itself to create convergence/divergence. If you want that. For your business, you may want things perfectly level, if dealing with architects.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24mm PCE Love!

ckcarr wrote:
What does +4 mean?
Using the lens tilt will not have an effect on the convergence/divergence. The tilt moves the plane of focus, so more or less of the composition is in focus at varying f/stops. The shift allows composition changes.

You will need to physically tilt the lens itself to create convergence/divergence. If you want that. For your business, you may want things perfectly level, if dealing with architects.

I used photoshop lens correction filter and adjusted the vertical to +4. This gives the same or similar look as tilting the lens upward.

Jun 14, 2015 at 01:13 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24mm PCE Love!

ckcarr wrote:
What does +4 mean?

I totally understand the tilt and shift properties of this lens.

Jun 14, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24mm PCE Love!

The lens also exhibits slight pin-cushion. I always hated that on my old Nikkor 28/3.5 PC lens. Makes it very hard to get squared-up.

I prefer the straight sides in this shot and other interiors. My exception is for very tall building exteriors, where I allow a slight convergence.

You'll be right more often than not to keep vertical lines straight (and correct the pin-cushion distortion).

Jun 17, 2015 at 07:04 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24mm PCE Love!

Gunzorro wrote:
The lens also exhibits slight pin-cushion. I always hated that on my old Nikkor 28/3.5 PC lens. Makes it very hard to get squared-up.

I prefer the straight sides in this shot and other interiors. My exception is for very tall building exteriors, where I allow a slight convergence.

You'll be right more often than not to keep vertical lines straight (and correct the pin-cushion distortion).

I agree. I sent the image that has straight verticals to my client. I was trained to shoot straight verticals for architecture.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:03 PM
daggah
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24mm PCE Love!

Blue Mosque Courtyard Vertical Pano by David Gevert, on Flickr

3-shot vertical panorama using the 24mm PC-E.

Jun 20, 2015 at 08:11 AM
daggah
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24mm PCE Love!

Cappadocia Panorama by David Gevert, on Flickr

Sunrise and Balloons at Cappadocia by David Gevert, on Flickr

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.