Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Big Background for family photos, gear suggestions as well.

Werne1nm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Background for family photos, gear suggestions as well.

I'm not sure if this is even possible.

A co-worker asked me to do some formal shots of her parents 65th wedding anniversary.

Awesome I got a gig!

It'll be onsite at a restaurant in town. Not sure if the'll be enough room but i'll look at the place before hand. And if the weather is good we can do something outside with a backdrop as well.

BUT

she wants a full family shot of 25 people.

If i'm dealing with that many people how big of a background should I get? I have a 12 foot backdrop stand. Not sure that is big enough. would it be even possible to do that?

first time I'll be using a backdrop btw.

I've got three flashes, two stands two umbrellas (42 inch) radio triggers and all. I might have to get a bigger umbrella? 2 60 inch?

I might need to pick up a couple of flashes to light the background as well?

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you

Jun 11, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Background for family photos, gear suggestions as well.

1. Scout the location. Do you even need a background? Can you bounce some flash off a ceiling? Will you have room to pose and shoot? Will the location tolerate you fooling about with a backdrop/lights/etc for an hour or more?

2. Think long and hard about how you are going to pose everyone. A RAW file is every forgiving of technical mistakes, but you cannot fix a bad pose. 25 people is not huge, but not simple either.

What are the client's expectations? Can you meet those expectations? Make sure before you over-commit...

Paul

Jun 11, 2015 at 05:17 PM
sufran

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Background for family photos, gear suggestions as well.

Yes, check out the restaurant. For that number of people, it will be much easier to use some part of the building. For large groups, it's easiest to capture everyone's faces if you can shoot down at them e.g. you're standing on a chair, step ladder or a higher level of the building. And be prepared for requests for smaller sub-groups as well! A plain wall (inside or out) works well for these.

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:58 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.