FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              44      
       46              71       72       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.45 #1 · p.45 #1 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Exactly. While this thread is specifically about the comparison, and therefore arguably an appropriate place to compare, your observation applies generally to a small minority of Sony users — the rest of whom are just as well-mannered, intelligent, and good looking as Canon-using photographers ;-) — who seem to have a fixation on turning almost every Canon forum thread into something narcissistically focused on a their need to reaffirm themselves and their choices, and on unending and incessant beating of their big, loud Sony drum.

Sony makes fine, interesting, and useful cameras — so stipulated. But one wonders about this little boorish minority of Sony users and their obsessive Sony Love, a passion that begins to appear pathological in its expression through constant one-note repetitive serial posting in Canon threads, where we frequently see more posts from them than anyone else, not infrequently in the form of uninterrupted sequences of multiple posts.

It brings to mind the antics of drunken sports fans with a need for a strange sort of attention, sitting in the other team's section in their own team colors and hurling insults and spilling their beer on the opposing team's fans — who try to ignore them for a while but as the petulant, juvenile, provocative behavior continues eventually get fed up. The authorities warn the drunken fans, who apparently can't control their own behavior, and finally, to the relief of all, eject them.

We get it. These folks regard Canon — the company, the photographers, the cameras — as being inferior to Their Big Mega Corporation and its users and cameras. Point made. Thank you for sharing. Understood. Is there any point at which they will be satisfied?

From the evidence, the answer is no.

Sagar wrote:
I don't understand if Sony fans love their system so much why do they even bother to invade on Canikon forums to brag about how great their gear is. Love your system fine just enjoy with your herd why bother what other herd is doing?

It's one thing to compare system logically/subjectively and have sensible discussion but invade just for the sake of bragging I think it's just too much

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.45 #2 · p.45 #2 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
I've heard tons of photographers have issues with multiple 7d2 cameras, some still after being sent for service.

I guess that is why Canon service is so good...they get a lot of practice. 😃

Well I guess you can't grasp the concept of what you just said either. Tons of photographers times multiple 7D2 cameras equals thousands of times more 7D2's sold than A7RII's.

So I guess you would hear more about 7D2 problems, eh?

Sep 03, 2015 at 12:49 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.45 #3 · p.45 #3 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Imagemaster wrote:
Well I guess you can't grasp the concept of what you just said either. Tons of photographers times multiple 7D2 cameras equals thousands of times more 7D2's sold than A7RII's.

What are these problems with the 7dII....is a recall coming about?

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.45 #4 · p.45 #4 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Imagemaster wrote:

Tell that to the happy customers that had to deal with their defective purchase. I hope you are not implying these issues with the 7d2 is the norm for Canon cameras.😆

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.45 #5 · p.45 #5 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

mogul wrote:

Canon admitting a problem by issuing a recall...lets get real. Remember the 1D3 fiasco and the different coloured dots on the camera boxes. 😬

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:21 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.45 #6 · p.45 #6 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
Tell that to the happy customers that had to deal with their defective purchase. I hope you are not implying these issues with the 7d2 is the norm for Canon cameras.😆

Quit trolling...your little smiley face is a bit of a farce here.

You know exactly what he was saying. More cameras sold means more potential users with issues. I only ever hear about 7d2 issues from you, Chez. Why is that, do you have any experience with the camera or are you just an internet parrot with a very unhidden agenda?

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.45 #7 · p.45 #7 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
I think many Photogs that bought a Sony camera also use Canon cameras and lenses so it's natural to hang out in both forums.

Hmmm, your definition of "hanging out" with your fellow FM'ers who use Canon products is probably a whole lot different from what most folks would consider "hanging out". By most accounts you have presented yourself as "hung up" on Sony WAY MORE than interested in "hanging out" with those interested in Canon.

To listen to the way you incessantly present against Canon, it is very hard for most folks to consider your "natural" hanging out to be natural at all. Instead, it seems incredibly strange that you would still be shooting Canon and presenting in the Canon forum, other than for the "justification" of owning Canon gear as an entitlement to be "disruptive at will" to denigrade Canon and promote Sony, given the incessant voracity at which you come into the Canon forum to run down Canon and Canon shooters.

Tell ya what ... I'll send you a Nikon camera and a Nikon lens. Then you can naturally go into the Nikon Forum and "hang out" with them. I mean, after all, they're using a Sony sensor too. Sounds like that would be a better fit for you to hang out there than in the Canon forum. Sell me your 7D and go buy another Sony instead.

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:28 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.45 #8 · p.45 #8 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

jctriguy wrote:
Quit trolling...your little smiley face is a bit of a farce here.

You know exactly what he was saying. More cameras sold means more potential users with issues. I only ever hear about 7d2 issues from you, Chez. Why is that, do you have any experience with the camera or are you just an internet parrot with a very unhidden agenda?

JC, just do a quick search just here on FM on 7d2 and you'll get your fill of people having focusing issues with the 7D2. If that is not enough, try google.
Don't try to paint this issue with a rose coloured brush.

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:40 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.45 #9 · p.45 #9 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Well that is an entertaining read

Thanks for posting

jcolwell wrote:
From a recent DPReview article on Sony RAW compression,

"as the company shows its ambitions in the high end market, with the launch of the a7 series and a dedicated support system for professionals, the impact on image quality deserves a little scrutiny."

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2834066212/the-raw-and-the-cooked-pulling-apart-sony-raw-compression

Also from the same article, here's the conclusion regarding the effects of Sony RAW compression on IQ and related issues,

"Conclusion

These approaches probably made sense in consumer-grade cameras, back in the days where processing power and storage space came at a significant premium. However, on a camera as expensive as the a7R II, which is likely to be used

...Show more

Edited on Sep 03, 2015 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 02:10 PM
darbo
• • •
p.45 #10 · p.45 #10 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Unfortunately, legitimate concerns and shortcomings with any of these products gets painted with a rose colored brush. It is like political spin - any shortcoming is never acknowledged. If someone suggests the Sony FE system lacks f/2.8 zooms, then here comes the rose-colored-brush to say, "F/2.8 zooms are not needed any more."

This spin-meistering goes in both directions and it's too bad we can't have a truly open and honest discussion of the merits and shortcomings of each product. Threads like this start to feel like a TV debate between two political spin-meisters arguing on behalf of rival candidates. It goes on and on, arguments are endlessly repeated and neither party listens or has regards for the legitimate points of the other.

Sep 03, 2015 at 02:10 PM
Shield
• • •
p.45 #11 · p.45 #11 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
JC, just do a quick search just here on FM on 7d2 and you'll get your fill of people having focusing issues with the 7D2. If that is not enough, try google.
Don't try to paint this issue with a rose coloured brush.

Still not as many as those pro videographers complaining about the overheating issues while shooting 4k with the a7rii. It's repeatable and well-documented - Dave Dugdale shot a short piece and it overheated THREE times in 1/2 hour. He had to tell the talent to "wait while my camera cools down." That's a far bigger issue for people who earn money shooting video.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:03 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.45 #12 · p.45 #12 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
I hope you are not implying these issues with the 7d2 is the norm for Canon cameras.😆

The topic in this thread is the 5DS and the A7r II. The reports about 5DS AF are very positive. Some reviewers say it rivals the 1DX is precision, but is a little bit slower. Nobody talks about microadjust, and nobody talks about problems.

In this context you mention the 7DII AF inconsistency. I wonder why you do it. The only legitimate reason would be that potential 5DS buyers should be aware of the AF in the 5DS that might be faulty. Given what we know, it would not be very sound advice to take that into consideration for potential 5DS buyers, as it is not an issue. So what is your motivation and basis for bringing the 7DII AF into this discussion?

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:06 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.45 #13 · p.45 #13 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

alundeb wrote:
The topic in this thread is the 5DS and the A7r II. The reports about 5DS AF are very positive. Some reviewers say it rivals the 1DX is precision, but is a little bit slower. Nobody talks about microadjust, and nobody talks about problems.

In this context you mention the 7DII AF inconsistency. I wonder why you do it. The only legitimate reason would be that potential 5DS buyers should be aware of the AF in the 5DS that might be faulty. Given what we know, it would not be very sound advice to take that into consideration for potential 5DS
...Show more

I assume he is making generic comments about all DSLR bodies being inferior to mirrorless in AF precision. Likely just an attempt to push people over to his way of thinking by using fear mongering tactics.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.45 #14 · p.45 #14 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Or you can just watch Chez demonstrate the "fine art" of trying to use them extensively.

My favorite is the "I own a Canon, so that entitles me to tell other Canon users they are just following the herd."

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:33 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.45 #15 · p.45 #15 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

alundeb wrote:

In this context you mention the 7DII AF inconsistency. I wonder why you do it. The only legitimate reason would be that potential 5DS buyers should be aware of the AF in the 5DS that might be faulty. Given what we know, it would not be very sound advice to take that into consideration for potential 5DS
...Show more

It's all regarding support for cameras from different manufacturers and there were some posts indicating the need to fix Sony equipment and some of the service was lacking. I just pointed out that Canon has a few issues of their own and they are not squeaky clean as some here profess.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.45 #16 · p.45 #16 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

mogul wrote:

Ask the expert, although I don't know if he ever owned one. I own a problem-free one.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:46 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.45 #17 · p.45 #17 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

RustyBug wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Or you can just watch Chez demonstrate the "fine art" of trying to use them extensively.

My favorite is the "I own a Canon, so that entitles me to tell other Canon users they are just following the herd."

Rusty...not all Canon shooters are sheep, just some...and I don't need to point out who you are. You know for yourself.😮

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.45 #18 · p.45 #18 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
Rusty...not all Canon shooters are sheep, just some...and I don't need to point out who you are. You know for yourself.😮

Yup, I still shoot an SLR/C ... I reckon that means you think I'm the leader of the followers.
Yup, I know for myself, and I think for myself. Thank you very much.

Thanks for illustrating the use of ad hominem.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:50 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.45 #19 · p.45 #19 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

chez wrote:
It's all regarding support for cameras from different manufacturers and there were some posts indicating the need to fix Sony equipment and some of the service was lacking. I just pointed out that Canon has a few issues of their own and they are not squeaky clean as some here profess.

Then you must have misunderstood the point of that post regarding service. The point was not that Canon is squeaky clean, but that they offer much better service than Sony when things are wrong, and things are, for everybody.

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:57 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.45 #20 · p.45 #20 · Canon 5Ds vs. Sony A7rII

Who is winning the mud slinging contest ?

I still vote Canon 5DS

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.