Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

Hi, I've come across a local Canon 500mm f4.5 L @ $1800

However, upon inspection one of the rear elements has two small colonies of fungus that look like spiderwebs that cover what I would estimate at least 10% of that specific element.

The exterior of the lens has numerous slight scruff marks on the white paint with exposed black, the hood has numerous marks, and the hood-end of the lens has a slight dent where it is evident it was dropped (I didn't examine if the hood would go on, come to think of it. Let's assume the hood goes on with no issues)

There is no box, nor case. Just the lens, the leather cap, back cap and hood.

What would the correct pricing be in this case?

Would it be possible to have a local (or Canon) camera center clean the fungus out? If so, how much would this cost?

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:43 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

The going price for a fungus-free, Excellent+ 500/4.5 is $2.5k~3.5k on ebay, for reference

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

I had a simple lens cleaned and it cost me $250 and it could be cleaned. With a 500mm the fungus is likely to have etched the glass and certainly has damaged the internal elements' coatings. With a 500mm the lens image magnification is also going to magnify any imperfections left behind after the cleaning.

I was cheated by the seller and eBay and Paypal with the lens I bought which is why I would never again buy a lens on eBay and use Fredmiranda sellers exclusively.

I would not touch a lens that the owner has not had repaired. I did that with my lens before selling it so I could assure the buyer that it was in A-1 condition. Otherwise it is a huge gamble when you don't know the cost to repair the lens or even who will be able to do the repairs and if they can get replacement parts from Canon. It may be a USA or it may be an import lens and this makes a big difference in who can do the work and whether they can get parts they need from Canon.

Jun 11, 2015 at 05:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

Slight fungus? Any fungus is fungus.

EBH

Jun 11, 2015 at 07:13 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Correct pricing for lens with slight fungus?

Agree that I'd never buy a moldy lens on ebay because you've no idea what else might be lurking within. I'd also never sell a moldy lens on ebay... much rather pay to have it properly repaired, then sell it as being mechanically perfect.

I might consider buying a moldy lens if there was an explicit money-back guarantee that would let me return it if a repair proved too expensive. But this is ebay we're talking about, so the potential hassle's not worth it IMO.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:15 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.