Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

The Alt guys are going to kill me....
As they are probably aware of now, I'm in the market for an older, MF, fast(ish) 50. My budget would be about $120 max. As such, Im compiling a list of 50's in this price range to ultimately choose from.

Well, some older Nikkors have made that list. But seeing as how I know nothing about Nikkor lenses, I'm asking. I'm seeking a general all around winner, good at it all, but not necessarily great at any one thing. If I had to pick certain features; central sharpness and bokeh.

In no particular order, whats the difference in these? Best? Worst? Experiences?
Nikkor-S Auto 50/1.4
Nikkor-S C Auto 50/1.4
Nikkor non-Ai 50/1.4
Nikkor Ai 50/1.4
Nikkor Ai-s 50/1.4

Thank you
Aaron

Jun 10, 2015 at 05:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Here's some good online reference sites,

Bjorn Rorslett Nikon lens survey
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html

David Ruether Lens Evaluations
http://www.jcolwell.ca/Nikon/_eval-Reuther-Nikon-Evaluations.doc
(original site gone) http://ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html#normal

Photography in Malaysia (MIR) on Nikkor 50mm,
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/index.htm

Jun 10, 2015 at 06:21 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Go here for real user input

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565

My vote would probably be the Nikkor-S C Auto 50/1.4 out of the ones you selected
I also like the 50 1.8 Ai-s long nose for under $100

Reagan

Jun 10, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

nikon fifties are surprisingly similar and uniformly uninspiring in my humble thirty-year experience, even more so in the 1.4 drawer. those that stand out a bit are 50/2 H/HC/AI and 50/1.2; the longnose is nice, too

Jun 10, 2015 at 08:27 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

If you're committed to f/1.4 the list you offer is reasonable but unless you're wedded to that aperture, you might want to consider as well the early 50 f/2 and the 50 f/1.8 of which there are many flavors. Your detailed question about performance will not easily be answered because folks seldom own and use more than one or two of these lenses. Yes, I have a 50 f/2 H.C. with the AI conversion kit, an early 50 f/1.8 AI-s, a 50 f/1.4 S.C. with the AI conversion kit and the faster 50 f/1.2 AI-s. I enjoy them all even though I don't use any of them often since I'm a big fan of the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI. I have two copies of that lens.

Unfortunately, for you, I'm not much into detailed lens reviews. Jim reference to Bjorn Rorslett's lens survey is probably the best resource for you. You'll also find quite a bit of information on Ken Rockwell's website. Ken has a reputation of being a big self-promoter, but he knows quite a bit about older lenses and is worth checking out. Here's a link to his reviews of MF lenses. He has quite a bit to say about a variety of 50mm lenses, including many you list. Good luck sorting it out.

Ken Rockwell Manual Focus Lens Reviews

Jun 10, 2015 at 08:33 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Thanks Jim, appreciate it as always.

Reagan, thanks. So far from what I've read, I'm leaning towards the S Auto. Need to find a camparo with the coated S auto.

Vilk, Im learning that they used the same optical design for years, thus variation isn't as great as I initially thought. Sadly, f1.2 will be out of budget.

Mr Grindahl, thank you as well. I was actually on Mr Rockwells site when you replied.
Keep in mind, this is not for a Nikon body, but a Canon (gasp!). So full control is essential, and the AI conversions are of no importance. I would consider a 1.8, if it's performance is at least equal at f2 to that of a 1.4. I'd really like an f1.2. But with a baby on the way, I need to watch what I spend.

The choice out of which Nikkor will end up on my list of "which fast 50 should I buy", that I'll be asking for opinions on. At which point, the Alt crowd will probably put a price on my head
I'm glad I went with Canon, because Nikon confuses the hell out of me with all these lenses.

Jun 10, 2015 at 08:58 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

the 1.4 is noted for its rendering and bokeh - I never hear that about 1.8s or f2s

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:13 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

rw11 wrote:
the 1.4 is noted for its rendering and bokeh - I never hear that about 1.8s or f2s

Which one though RW? This is probably the main attribute Im going for. Its a tough call between that and WO central sharpness.

The AI-S seems to have made it to the short list, which now consists of the S Auto and SC Auto also.

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Reagan wrote:

My vote would probably be the Nikkor-S C Auto 50/1.4 out of the ones you selected

Reagan

I also really like the 50mm 1.8 long nose AIS. I believe the serial numbers on the long nose are 3135197 - 3304551. I paid $60 for mine. This may be the best bang for the buck lens of all the 50s.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Aaron D wrote:

The choice out of which Nikkor will end up on my list of "which fast 50 should I buy", that I'll be asking for opinions on. At which point, the Alt crowd will probably put a price on my head
I'm glad I went with Canon, because Nikon confuses the hell out of me with all these lenses.

Nikon lenses on Canon bodies have always been 100% "Alt". Long ago these combinations made up the very essence of this forum!

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Aaron D wrote:
Which one though RW? This is probably the main attribute Im going for. Its a tough call between that and WO central sharpness.

The AI-S seems to have made it to the short list, which now consists of the S Auto and SC Auto also.

unfortunately, I don't recall - as a 1.2 owner it didn't click on the buy me button in my head

can I change you over to the 35/1.4? otherwise, I bet any of the older lenses would do fine

BTW the easy way to decide whether to get a MF Nikon is to look at the 14 or so they still manf. & sell - those are all keepers

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

rw11 wrote:
unfortunately, I don't recall - as a 1.2 owner it didn't click on the buy me button in my head

can I change you over to the 35/1.4? otherwise, I bet any of the older lenses would do fine

BTW the easy way to decide whether to get a MF Nikon is to look at the 14 or so they still manf. & sell - those are all keepers

Sadly, the 35 is not an option. Im sorely lacking a 50mm. As sweet as the 35/1.4 sounds, it's about 300 over budget as well. But I'll definitely keep it in mind for down the road .

Thanks again to everyone. At some point today I'll see what I can find in regards to the 50 1.4 AIS, S Auto, and SC Auto. So far everything I've read on these three is conflicting and there doesnt seem to be a general consensus as to which is better. Then again, "better" is completely subjective 99% of the time in regards to lenses.

Aaron

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

I'm a fan of the S-Auto

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5557/14061718489_363aa9fdf6_c.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14022234069_87bfaaee88_c.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14199030506_c88c4fc150_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/14031062309_71f759d138_c.jpg

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

CGrindahl wrote:
If you're committed to f/1.4 the list you offer is reasonable but unless you're wedded to that aperture, you might want to consider as well the early 50 f/2 and the 50 f/1.8 of which there are many flavors. Your detailed question about performance will not easily be answered because folks seldom own and use more than one or two of these lenses. Yes, I have a 50 f/2 H.C. with the AI conversion kit, an early 50 f/1.8 AI-s, a 50 f/1.4 S.C. with the AI conversion kit and the faster 50 f/1.2 AI-s. I enjoy them all even
...Show more

Glad you brought up Ken, I was thinking he had compared several 50 mm lenses, found this off your link:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50-comparison/index.htm

He says there's not much difference between them.

Another thing, do you need AI or newer lenses on a Nikon digital body? I don't see why you'd need them on m4/3 or A7, not sure about Canon and others.

Of the Nikkors, I had the 50 1.2 and still have the 1.8, both AIS I think. Both good, 1.2 seemed better but very expensive now imo

Jun 11, 2015 at 01:37 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

I'd generally rather have mc than single coated. Might help you narrow things down.

Jun 11, 2015 at 01:46 PM
serge07
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

I'm not sure this will be of much help to you but here is a review of the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 S Auto. The oof rendering @ f/1.4 is not too shabby at all.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-s-50mm-f1-4-ai

I have been using the 50mm f/2.0 for a bit over a year and find it to be an impressive performer. It is one sharp lens with great color and contrast. As it is the case with the long nose 50mm f/1.8, the deeply recessed front element serves as a built in lens hood which keeps the overall size very compact.

Enjoy the hunt. The old school Nikkors are a lot of fun to use.

Regards,

Serge

Edited on Jun 11, 2015 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2015 at 02:26 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

you know, I think I'd just get the first nice looking 50 1.4 that you find - you can always buy a different version later, compare them and sell the one you like least, for about what you paid

you can research the coating history on various web sites

Jun 11, 2015 at 02:29 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Reagan wrote:

Reagan

I would second the Nikkor SC auto as well

Jun 11, 2015 at 02:35 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Statements like "there is not much difference between them" meet the requirement for information for one group of users. For some however "not much" can be just the difference they are looking for.

From 1st hand experience:

The 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S Auto is a good looking light and fairly small lens. It focuses down to 0.6m. At f1,4 it's sharp but "suffers" from veiling flare (which can be desired in certain creative styles)

The 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S.C Auto is pretty much like the Nikkor-S Auto. Due to multicoating it renders a bit cooler and appears a hint sharper which however is mainly better contrast and better control of glare due to th emulticoating. The veiling flare is still there

The 50mm f1,4 Nikon K (last version of the non-Ai ones) is identical to the Nikkor-S.C in rendering. It does however focus down to 0.45m, is lighter and has a rubber grip on the focus ring rather then the scalloped metal construction used in prior designs

The 50mm f1,4 Ai-S is (or appears to be) sharper, focuses down to 0.45m. In my experience comparing bokeh between this lens and the older versions is that the Ai-S can render OoF backgrounds with double outlines like seen in the 50mm f1,4 AF-D lens. I prefer the bokeh of th eolder lens designs (or is that caused by newer coatings?)

The 50mm f2 Nikkor-H.C Auto can render very smooth transitions from in focus to OoF. It can render very soft OoF backgrounds. Wide open it suffers from veiling flare more then the f1,4 versions.
Wide open I'd say the f1,4 versions are sharper then the f2 lenses. At f2 the f1,4 versions are still sharper then the f2 lenses wide open. Stopped down to f4 things could be very different but I never use these lenses stopped down (For the difference between the Nikkor-H Auto and Nikkor-H.C Auto see above reference to Nikkor-S and S.C versions).

The 50mm f2 Ai performs like the Nikkor-H.C Auto, but I had a feeling that the Nikkor-H.C was sharper. Could be sample variation. The Ai version again focuses down to 0,45m where the older lenses only focus down to 0,6m

I have no experience with the 50mm f1,2 lenses. From what I have seen they can be very nice. They are sharp wide open. Very thin DoF. The Ai versions have 7 Aperture blades. The Ai-S versions have 9. Some suggest this could affect rendering of OoF elements.

I do have experience with the 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C Auto. There are 4 versions of the 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S featuring very small changes in the optical design. All of them are sharp. The S.C version adds multicoating enhancing flare resistance, glare control and contrast but adds a slightly cooler color cast to the lens compared to the earlier Nikkor-S versions.

Since money IS an issue, I would 3rd the 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S.C or if you like the ability to focus closer the last version of the pre-Ai Nikon 50mm f1,4's. (also referred to as K series)

You can never have too many 50's
I own the 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S, 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S.C, 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C and 55mm f3,5 micro Nikkor-P
My girlfriend owns the 50mm f1,8 AF-S and 50mm f1,4 non-AI Nikon K

I owned the 50mm f2 Ai, 50mm f2 Nikkor-H.C and 50mm f1,4 Ai-S Nikkor

Jun 11, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Thanks Jason, Mike, Serge, RW and Low. All good input. One of the reasons Im looking at 1.4s, vs a 1.8/2, is precisely what Solitaire had mentioned. Stopping down from 1.4 to 1.8/2, will likely be sharper than a 1.8/2 shot WO. Plus still have the ability to shoot at the faster 1.4 should I desire. I have no intention in ever stopping down further than maybe 2.8. We dont buy fast lenses to shoot at f4/5.6 or slower.

And Solitaire, thank you as well. I guess I got lucky in my timing that someone here, with experience with so many of these Nikkor 50s, saw my post.

I've read myself silly on the Nikkor 50s and my brain hurts, as well as still being quite confused/mixed up. Im going to take one last peak at samples from the S.C and the AI-s to see which rendering I like more.

Alt forum....expect my final "which of these 50s do you like best/least?" within the next 24hrs. After which, I promise not to ask advice on a 5xmm lens for at least 2 years.

Thanks again to all
Aaron

Jun 11, 2015 at 08:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.