Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Yeah, if you are going to shoot at f\2.8 or wider the 1.4 is a good idea. You should at least be aware of the radioactive thorium oxide issue in older 50mm lenses, though. Between this and the coatings a later model, maybe late 80's or newer, might be good.

Truthfully, though, with a baby on the way, kids don't really sit still, and I'd probably get AF, although some guys do really well with MF. Also, you might look into an EF-s screen, I think that is what its called. Makes MF easier.

You might see a lot of sample to sample variations, and that might affect things quite a bit. I have 3-4 OM 1.8, and one, an early mc, is better IMO, though all are OK.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:56 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

the thorium won't hurt you in normal use, but I do advise against eating the lens

Jun 12, 2015 at 02:26 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

AmbientMike wrote:
Yeah, if you are going to shoot at f\2.8 or wider the 1.4 is a good idea. You should at least be aware of the radioactive thorium oxide issue in older 50mm lenses, though. Between this and the coatings a later model, maybe late 80's or newer, might be good.

Truthfully, though, with a baby on the way, kids don't really sit still, and I'd probably get AF, although some guys do really well with MF. Also, you might look into an EF-s screen, I think that is what its called. Makes MF easier.

You might see a lot of sample
...Show more

Not terribly worried. My Yashica Auto-Yashinon 28/2.8 DX is thoriated.

I usually dont bother with my alt mf primes for moving subjects. So depending on what 50 I go with, I might be able to snag one of those new Yongnuo 50/1.8 Canon knockoffs too. Just to have one with AF also. Reviews are rather favorable compared to the actual Canon.

I had a focusingscreen.com screen in my old XS. Sadly, its not the same as the one in the 60D. The Ef-s screen is for 2.8 and faster, yes. But since I also shoot slower than 2.8, on other lenses, Im going to order a microprism Ec-a screen (for the 1d, but cut for 60D) from them. My XS screen was a microprism and split prism, with grid lines, Pentax style. Quality was great, but since it wasnt cut from an actual Canon screen, it had to be shimmed. Took an extra 10 minutes to get focusing aligned, no biggie. Price was very reasonable compared to Katzeye.

rw11 wrote:
the thorium won't hurt you in normal use, but I do advise against eating the lens

Or unless you like snorting ground up glass dust.

Jun 12, 2015 at 03:50 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

I've found that @ F2.8 even the 1.8 50mm Nikkors perform fine...sharp with little if any edge drop off in terms of vignetting and sharpness...by F4 they're great....the nice added benefit is their compact size.

Keep in mind that the AIS versions focus more "quickly"....that earlier versions have a longer "throw" for more gradual focusing, something videographers like...

Jun 12, 2015 at 06:50 PM
kruemmelkasper

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Aaron, Mike, I'm the solitaire, writing from my girlfriends profile because I just now saw this talk of radioactive lenses. Would like to chime in to say that none of the 50mm Nikkors we discussed so far have thorium oxide based coating. I know the 35mm f1,4 Nikkor-N Auto fatures this thorium oxide based coating (to prevent build up of glass fungus) and the easiest way to recognize these lenses is the yellow color cast on the coated glass.

Most older Nikkor lenses like the 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S Auto have a single amber colored coating which however is not caued by the application of thorium. So no radioactive 50mm Nikkors to worry about, and if you do decide to pick up the thorium coated 35mm f1,4 Nikkor-N, don´t store it under your pillow, don´t eat it or do any of the things mentioned above and you should be fine and not end up glowing in the dark.

Jun 12, 2015 at 08:11 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

jay tieger wrote:
I've found that @ F2.8 even the 1.8 50mm Nikkors perform fine...sharp with little if any edge drop off in terms of vignetting and sharpness...by F4 they're great....the nice added benefit is their compact size.

Keep in mind that the AIS versions focus more "quickly"....that earlier versions have a longer "throw" for more gradual focusing, something videographers like...

Thanks Jay. For the relatively small price difference (30-40), Id much prefer something a little fastet. Im really digging the samples of the 50/1.4 AIS Ive seen. Bokeh looks nicer, picture sharper, than the pre-AI SC.

The focus breathing shouldn't be a big deal. It certainly cant be worse (shorter throw) than my 500/6.3 CAT (ugh that lens). Besides, DSLRs are for photographers/pictures, video cameras for video.

Jun 12, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

kruemmelkasper wrote:
Aaron, Mike, I'm the solitaire, writing from my girlfriends profile because I just now saw this talk of radioactive lenses. Would like to chime in to say that none of the 50mm Nikkors we discussed so far have thorium oxide based coating. I know the 35mm f1,4 Nikkor-N Auto fatures this thorium oxide based coating (to prevent build up of glass fungus) and the easiest way to recognize these lenses is the yellow color cast on the coated glass.

Most older Nikkor lenses like the 50mm f1,4 Nikkor-S Auto have a single amber colored coating which however is not caued by
...Show more

Thanks man. As mentioned, I have no concern of thoriated lenses. I've been using my Yashica DX 28/2.8, at a moderate measurement of 210nSv/h, for almost 5 years without growing a third arm.
LINK - Yashica org radiation measurements
I should grab screen shots of that site before the saved/cached versions disappear forever too.

Aaron

Jun 12, 2015 at 08:24 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

My experience with Nikkor normals: 50/1.2 AiS, 50/1.4 AiS, 58/1.2 AiS

The 1.4 is a perfectly fine lens I ultimately found boring to work with.
The ƒ/1.2 was a blast and my favorite; despite the ubiquitous veiling flare up until ƒ/2, this lens has first class sharpness underneath and wonderful artistic possibilities as a result. I had my D700 at the time fitted with a KatzEye screen and made focus a breeze. Beware: coma like crazy! The results WO are unique and truly endearing--just enough diminished contrast to add a loving atmospheric to portraits but like old Leicas, great resolution to make the image pop. Stop it down to ƒ/2.8-5.6, the haze clears (by ƒ/2, in fact) and it out-resolves the ƒ/1.4 AiS and even later AF 50's.

The NOCT? Well, if you find one for less that a king's ransom, you learn what a niche lens is really all about. Unlike the Leica Noctilux that has a typically Leica dual-personality, the NOCT is done by ƒ/4--maybe 2.8. Clean. clear images in the center of the frame only (dramatic field curvature outside the center accounts for this), it is all but devoid of the veiling flare or coma typical of the 50/1.2. Love the color.

As far as Rørslett, his observations were made on film, original APS-C Nikons and the D3 (limited observations on the D3x). They date from the late 1990's and before 2010. I don't know how much longer they will be relevant, especially with a 42MP Sony a7RII.

Edited on Jun 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

f.hayek wrote:
My experience with Nikkor normals: 50/1.2 AiS, 50/1.4 AiS, 58/1.2 AiS

The 1.4 is a perfectly fine lens I ultimately found boring to work with.
The ƒ/1.2 was a blast and my favorite; despite the veiling flare put to ƒ/2, this lens has first class sharpness underneath and wonderful artistic possibilities as a result. I had my D700 at the time fitted with a KatzEye screen and made focus a breeze. Beware: coma like crazy! The results WO are unique and truly lovely--just enough diminished contrast to add a loving atmospheric to portraits but like old Leicas, great resolution to make
...Show more

Are you referring to all Rørslett's observations in general, or just for the Noct? I can't afford the Noct, but read varying opinions ranging from "yes, better than xxxx" to "don't let it fool you. It's actually not as sharp as xxxx". Where xxxx = comparable Nikkor focal length/aperture, just a different version. Ie SC - Auto for example. I'm just curious for sake of my sponge like brain.

Thanks
Aaron

Jun 12, 2015 at 09:57 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

His observations are the impressions of an experienced hand, rather than scientific analyses.
But most importantly, they are all quite dated.

How much longer they can be extrapolated is hard to say. My guess is that they have reached the end of their shelf life.

Get the older pre-Ai 50 since it's not expensive but fun to experiment with. The 50/1.2 is also readily available, used and new, modestly priced and of the >20 Ai lenses I have owned, the most solidly built one I've ever used.

I've since shifted to Leica M (though I've saved the best of my AiS-including several Voigtländer SLI- for a Sony alpha I plan to get). For my Leica, I have a modern, sharp lens at a particular FL and another, older version for its unique 'drawing' style.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

Reagan wrote:
Go here for real user input

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565

My vote would probably be the Nikkor-S C Auto 50/1.4 out of the ones you selected
I also like the 50 1.8 Ai-s long nose for under $100

Reagan

The 50/1.8 long-nose is IMHO the best of the Nikon 50's. my second favourite is the classic 50/2.

I've never found any of the F mount 1.4's to be much to write home about, they're not usably faster than the 1.8 due to poor wide aperture performance and the long-nose 1.8 has better bokeh, colour and is sharper at all apertures. (on the flip side, I love my Nikkor-S.C 5cm f1.4 in LTM mount, but that costs a lot more and is a Sonnar). Later 50/2's are generally better than earlier at wide apertures, but all are good performers.

I've owned the 50/1.2, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 in all variations (long, pancake and a bag full of E's), and 2-3 different 50/2's of varying versions. Currently I have a 50/2 K non-AI.

Edited on Jun 12, 2015 at 11:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

f.hayek wrote:
His observations are the impressions of an experienced hand, rather than scientific analyses.
But most importantly, they are all quite dated.

How much longer they can be extrapolated is hard to say. My guess is that they have reached the end of their shelf life.

Get the older pre-Ai 50 since it's not expensive but fun to experiment with. The 50/1.2 is also readily available, used and new, modestly priced and of the >20 Ai lenses I have owned, the most solidly built one I've ever used.

I've since shifted to Leica M (though I've saved the best of my AiS-including several
...Show more

Thanks F. And for the most part, regarding dated and price, I concur. However, if I were going to spend $120 USD in a 50, Id rather it be an older, dated, lens with better character than the dreaded Canon 50/1.8.

Now, as I said, Im putting a small list of 50s together to choose from. Depending on which I ultimately choose, I may have $50 left over for the new Yongnuo 50/1.8 Canon clone that's modern with AF. Which actually is getting great reviews in comparison to the lens it was made to look like.

And if I dont have money left over for this Canon clone, I'll wait for them to release the 50/1.4 clone, which Im sure will be equal, if not better, as well.

Its the characters of these old lenses I admire. They are what make up my prime lenses, leaving the modern AF lenses for zooms.

I need to go put my list/poll together for opinions. Opinions are subjective, and will not decide my end choice. But those opinions, reading, samples, are what have helped me choose which Alt 50s to choose from. Despite my choices, your opinion is welcomed and respected as much as everyone elses. Thank you.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Older Nikkor 50 questions/experiences...

mawz wrote:
The 50/1.8 long-nose is IMHO the best of the Nikon 50's. my second favourite is the classic 50/2.

I've never found any of the F mount 1.4's to be much to write home about, they're not usably faster than the 1.8 due to poor wide aperture performance and the long-nose 1.8 has better bokeh, colour and is sharper at all apertures. (on the flip side, I love my Nikkor-S.C 5cm f1.4 in LTM mount, but that costs a lot more and is a Sonnar). Later 50/2's are generally better than earlier at wide apertures, but all are good performers.

I've owned
...Show more

Thanks Mawz. Im gonna have one last look and check out the 1.8 long nose. Honestly dont think I compared it to the 1.4 AI-s.

Aaron

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.