FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

capnsteve19
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

Hey Fm'ers I posted this story and pics on my Blog yesterday and thought I'd share with you alls

I have this funny story and amazing moment from my recent 2 week vacation visiting Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier and Rocky Mountain National parks. So this post and encounter had to have its 2 cents on my blog here. A little back story leading up to this sequence of pics, I woke up this morning in the Grand tetons with hanging out and lining up a sunrise at the Mormon barns, as most of the time with fellow photographers its easy to friend and talk about locations and expierences and tips while waiting for the hopefully perfect moment to unfold in front of us. We did that. and I made some new friends so after shooting that location for the actual sunrise most photogs leave quickly to try to get in 1 or 2 more locations before the soft light becomes harsh and flat on the subjects, so off I go, Lets try schwabacher's landing and to my delight a perfect still reflection of water causing some wicked cool pictures you'll see from me on FB or flickr soon.

As soon as I got there I recognized a guy from the barns I was just talking with and I apologize for not remembering his name and kicking my self for not exchanging cards with him afterwards cause we were just walking down the trail laughing and taking pics all the way down the trail of the tetons. so we get towards the end of the good shot along the trail and I say see those ducks over there? I wanna go sneak up on them and get them as I never have gotten great shots of this breed before. he says in his funny NY Accent hold the frek on you'll mess up my reflection shot when they take off. so I wait for him get a couple more shots of him focusing landscape with the ducks in the foreground.

OK he says now go get your duck shots. it was just funny how he says it. I get my settings rightly dialed in before I even start my walk as I know at any time most ducks just bolt on the tick of the clock so I always get prepared for the fly away shots before I start my walks towards waters edge. to my surprise they stay when I get close enough to get full frame them basically. So I'm thinking in my head sweet! I finally got some great pictures of this breed (which I did not know the id at the time, I'm terrible with bird id's most of the time) So the male Barrows Goldeneye you see speaks out in one of the pics and paddles away from me and usually the female follows BUT not this time, the female probally says to the male you know what I'm gonna go give this photographer a show she floats towards me, gets parallel to me looks at me does a couple show of paddle circles keeps looking at me to say did you angles in this pretty light? I'm pretty? haha does at least 3 full 360 degree paddle circles stretches her wings shakes her head like a model dipping her hair in the water, looks a me again as if to say you ready? you ready? I'm getting ready to show you my awesome take off. Then Bam launches in those dramatic skips of the feet then flight take off.

I purchased the Canon 1DX a week before this trip and I got a expierence for ya, after using it for 2 weeks of using it I'm equating the shutter on the 1DX as to like pulling the trigger on a machine gun. haha you ever see those video's of people using machine guns and they get knocked back in the stance when they hold the trigger down for a blast of rounds, and its a bit out of control well this new camera is a beast and if you are not firmly planted those 12 frames a second will throw you back, for this take off and shots of this female duck I was balancing on the balls of my feet crouched down, not really the ideal stablization for using this camera and when she took off I literally fell back a little haha and to my surprise looking at the review of pics walking back to my friend I say that all were locked on focus. The AI servo on this camera and tracking is amazing! So I get back to my new friend and he says (by the way he was watching the whole me sneaking up on them it was funny watching him looking my way smiling while I sneaked up) but yeah he says you get the pics? I laughed and said look at this. we both agreed now this is why we do this, this is why we get up at stupid hours to photograph its moments like these that are priceless to our minds and why me personally I strive to get out and do it over and over again.

Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1733 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1737 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1741 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1747 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1749 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1751 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1753 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1758 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1757 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1756 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1768 by Steve Loop, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 10, 2015 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM
capnsteve19
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1770 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1771 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1772 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1775 by Steve Loop, on Flickr
Teton-Glacier-RMNP-1774 by Steve Loop, on Flickr

And thats It.
Cheers
Steve

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:15 PM
greg pasek
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

Good story. 12 is sweeeet!

Jun 10, 2015 at 03:30 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

12 for me also, great job getting these

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:40 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

An enjoyable story with some very nice shots Steve. It's 12 for me too ~ Ron

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:24 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

I was enjoying the lighting and the bright colors in the water, then the take-off shots made that duck take a step further! 12 was the individual shot from the series that best checked the boxes for me too.

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:57 PM
capnsteve19
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Female Barrow's Goldeneye launch

Thanks Greg, Thanks Brian, Thanks Ron and thank Photo Scout, yeah on number 12 with the feet off the water in that one stands out 4 sure. yesterday I was noticing the progessive deepness of splashes as she gains altitude looked pretty cool as well.

thanks again alls for the heys here
cheers
Steve

Jun 11, 2015 at 08:33 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.