New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

Hi guys,

I just managed to buy a used Epson 4990 for a very good price which I intend to use for scanning both 135 and 120 B&W negatives that I develop myself at home.

Any recommendations in which software to use? Should I go with the provided Epson software or go 3rd party?

What about Anti Newton Glass. Should I definitely get it? If yes, what is a reputable seller in Europe you could recommend?

Any other tips & tricks for a better scanning outcome are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how many 6x6 frames fit in the adaptor?

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:35 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

Epson's 120 film carrierholds 6 frames (2 in each slot) at a time.

That is a little irritating if like me, you store your film with three frames per strip because I have to scan the other frames with another pass.

I have a third-party holder with AN glass for 6x7cms negs but the supplied Epson holder is fine for 6x6 format and doesn't need the glass.

I have always shot color negs (probably 95% of the time!) and SilverFast, with their NegaFix module, is the only software that I have found that handles color negs well but SF is expensive. SF can also handle Kodachrome slides which most scanning software cannot

For B/W negs, EpsonScan will probably do everything that you need.

An alternative would be VueScan Pro.

Jun 10, 2015 at 07:45 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

I ask this cause I have not yet cut any of my 120 film and I am trying to understand how I should cut it in order to have a better scanning experience as well as storing them in a good way.

My options are either 3 frames or 4 frames from what I've seen.

3 frames are probably the safest since some high end dedicated film scanners can only scan strips of 3 frames from what I read, correct?

Jun 11, 2015 at 02:29 AM
xvvvz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

Yes, I would cut in three strips to give you more scanning options without hassles.

Vuescan and Silverfast have free demo versions. Download them and try them yourself. Both are nice software so it comes down to which one best fits your working style. Only you can decide which is best for you. With that said, many people find the EpsonScan software is all they need. Scan to extract the most "information" in the film. Your scans will come out looking a bit flat but nothing will have been "thrown out." Then do your post processing later in more appropriate/capable software like Photoshop.

Doug

Jun 11, 2015 at 09:05 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 4990 Negative Scanning

If you have not yet cut your film, and will be using the Epson 4990; I would recommend that you cut for four frames because that will allow for the most efficient Bulk-scanning.

But do check to see what negative sleeves are available before you cut your film.

My negative collection covers the past half-century and I always cut to strips of three so I am stuck with it

Also, any scanning software can handle BW negs.

Orange-masked color negative film is a different matter and I have found that, of the scanning software which is currently available, only SilverFast can do this well.

I almost always shot on colour negative stock because it provided the most versatility for future use. I am extremely glad that I did because, fifty years later, these negatives are scanning to provide brilliant colour while the dyes in slide material have deteriorated badly.

The recent tragic earthquakes in Nepal led me to seek-out the photographs which I shot there in 1972. I scanned all of them on an Epson 4990 with SilverFast and I then posted this picture essay in tribute to Nepal:

http://www.fotozones.com/live/index.php/topic/58919-nepal-a-tribute-to-what-once-was/

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.