Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Congratulations to JimFox for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

Well 3 weeks in the Philippines gave me lot's of time to explore and come up with some cool locations. The Philippines is chock full of beautiful locations, the people were very nice and friendly. It helped that besides their native language they all speak English, so it made it very easy to get around. And of course I had my Filipina girlfriend as a tour guide who was a huge help and really made it all happen.

This one is from the Island of Bohol, and was taken at the beach on the Amarela Resort. The tropical water there is so cool, the teal green look and it's always warm like 85 degrees. So even in the dark when I went out to shoot this, I could walk out into the shallow water a 100 feet or so and it was still only halfway up my calves and it was a very nice relaxing feel being so warm and gentle with no waves.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Jun 09, 2015 at 04:52 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Wow, Jim. That is extraordinary in its simplicity yet with very striking colors. What was the illumination for the water -- was it only starlight or was there some moon to help out?

Dave

Jun 09, 2015 at 04:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

This is really neat. I have no idea where the light source for the water came from, but it looks very natural unlike so many MW shots. The sky processing is also great.

Jun 09, 2015 at 04:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

dsjtecserv wrote:
Wow, Jim. That is extraordinary in its simplicity yet with very striking colors. What was the illumination for the water -- was it only starlight or was there some moon to help out?

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks so much! I am glad you liked it, and the simplicity of it spoke to me too.

The light source was from some lights they had on the beach at the various resorts there. They lit up the sand and lounge chairs, but I was far enough out that the light was pretty soft. I did have to watch for my shadow being cast into the scene, so I moved to where I got a shadow free composition.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
This is really neat. I have no idea where the light source for the water came from, but it looks very natural unlike so many MW shots. The sky processing is also great.

Thanks Ben! I am glad it turned out natural looking. The water was lit up a little more in the original, I did pull back on it a bit to help it feel more natural. I am glad that worked.

Jim

Jun 09, 2015 at 05:10 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Man that is nice! The only suggestion, increase the black levels of the water to show a bit more detail of the sand

Jun 09, 2015 at 06:34 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

That's a wonderful sky. Very nice.

David

Jun 09, 2015 at 06:47 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Very nice Jim! Love how the horizon just melts into the sky blending the two. The vignette works as well.

Jun 09, 2015 at 07:37 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

This is really sweet. Love the simplicity, colors and crisp stars. Is this a single shot?
Dave

Jun 09, 2015 at 08:22 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

I was gonna say, the milky way doesn't angle like that in the Northern Hemisphere lol, you must be somewhere else! Cool shot...

Jun 09, 2015 at 08:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Jon Buffington wrote:
Very nice Jim! Love how the horizon just melts into the sky blending the two. The vignette works as well.

Hey Jon, thanks! I am glad you like it. And the vignetting was natural from the light fall off from the lens. Normally I will correct for that and remove the vignetting as I process it, but in this shot it seemed to work well so I just left it alone.

Jim

dbehrens wrote:
This is really sweet. Love the simplicity, colors and crisp stars. Is this a single shot?
Dave

Glad you like it Dave. Yeah, it's cool how it worked out so well. And yeah, it's a single shot.

Jim

matthewsaville wrote:
I was gonna say, the milky way doesn't angle like that in the Northern Hemisphere lol, you must be somewhere else! Cool shot...

Hey Matt, yeah when I saw how the Milky Way was laying across the horizon like that I got even more excited then normal about getting to shoot it. It sure is sweet how it laid out that way. I am glad you liked it.

Jim

Jun 09, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Simply awesome and unique. Voted!

Jun 09, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Unique shot Jim! I lived there a few years with my family but was more into street shooting at the time.... Beautiful country (and people) there for sure. Look forward to seeing more.

Jun 09, 2015 at 11:54 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Wonderful colors in a nightscape, Jim. I keep hearing nice things about my wife's homeland, got to visit someday.

Jun 10, 2015 at 01:51 AM
triggermike
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Other worldly!

Jun 10, 2015 at 08:44 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Excellent Jim!

It's got my vote too! As unique as any of the recent winners for sure.

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:02 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Different, and nicely done.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:32 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

Jim,
I like this one a lot, being able to see through the fg water adds a lot . Extremely creative, well done !
Regards,
Dean

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

The image is simple and interesting. It nicely reflects your description of taking it, relaxing.

Chuck

Jun 10, 2015 at 01:11 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

This is very cool, I like it a lot!

Jun 10, 2015 at 01:52 PM
Searchlight

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Bohol kind of Milky Way

What a stellar image, just beautiful. I love the sky and water independently of each other, and then to see them in one night scape is quite impressive.

Quite an unusual perspective that works well.

Jun 10, 2015 at 01:54 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.