FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Stay Away From Panasonic

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Stay Away From Panasonic

Aaron D wrote:
I could say similar things about Sony. I stay away from anything Sony due to similar CS reasons.

Years ago, I sold A/V equipment for a major retailer. Audio equipment was, and still is, another expensive hobby of mine. Well, I had purchased a new CD player...made by Sony. Within a year, the unit started erroring and eventually stopped reading discs.

I took it to a Sony Service center, who would not repair it for free. Now remember, I worked in A/V, so knew some good insider stuff most consumers weren't privy to. Sony had a problem with failing lasers/optics in
...Show more

Same experience with Canon "Professional" wide format printers. In just over 1 year of extremely light use, I had a 44" wide format printer die. Canon was of no help at all. Completely washed their hands of an issue which turned out to be a fairly widespread overheating design problem. So, as a professional and consultant who is asked routinely by clients which printer to buy, Canon has lost a number of potential customers. Manufactures really should be more aware of the consequences of not supporting their products, particularly since news like this travels much faster and wider now. I think some are clever enough to realize this.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Stay Away From Panasonic

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Same experience with Canon "Professional" wide format printers. In just over 1 year of extremely light use, I had a 44" wide format printer die. Canon was of no help at all. Completely washed their hands of an issue which turned out to be a fairly widespread overheating design problem. So, as a professional and consultant who is asked routinely by clients which printer to buy, Canon has lost a number of potential customers. Manufactures really should be more aware of the consequences of not supporting their products, particularly since news like this travels much faster and wider now.
...Show more

And that's my point. Things like this happen with every major brand. Its not just Brand A or Brand B.

But the major companies don't care, and never will. As a consumerist society, 95% of all people want to spend as little monies as possible. Very few actually care about getting the best manufactured quality. Hence why majority of products are made in China these days.

So when Brand X loses customer X and his 3, maybe 4, friends he told about his experience, Brand X isnt really losing money in the long run because they know that they'll make up the lost money on other cheap a$$ products.

Sony, Panasonic, Canon, LG, Sanyo, etc are giant electronics and appliance manufacturers that make tons of cheap, crappy products that make up the majority of their bottom line profits.

I owned a 52 inch Panasonic plasma TV a couple years back. It was the best TV I've ever owned. That TV was on for close to 18 hours a day, for 3 years straight, and never had a hiccup. Plasmas produce tons of heat.

I had all top of the line LG kitchen appliances; refrigerator, stove/oven, dishwasher, microwave. That diswasher was the biggest POS dishwasher I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Stay Away From Panasonic

Aaron D wrote:
I owned a 52 inch Panasonic plasma TV a couple years back. It was the best TV I've ever owned. That TV was on for close to 18 hours a day, for 3 years straight, and never had a hiccup. Plasmas produce tons of heat.

I had all top of the line LG kitchen appliances; refrigerator, stove/oven, dishwasher, microwave. That diswasher was the biggest POS dishwasher I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Yeah, my Panasonic 60" Plasma has turned out to be the best TV I have owned thus far. Of course, Panasonic no longer produce Plasmas as the cheap - and often inferior - LCD's are what most consumers buy. There are a few who will pay more for a better built, serviceable product that will last a long time but apparently the overall market has generally moved to a disposable model as most consumers are penny wise, pound foolish.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Stay Away From Panasonic

I had a couple problems with Lexar CF cards many years back. I haven't bought any since. But does that experience translate to a real problem for everyone? It's important we discuss equipment problems on forums to get a better idea of how common, or rare, the problem is. In the case of the Lexar cards, there was some kind of incompatibility or firmware problem with certain Canon cameras that was eventually resolved. However, it's easy to make sweeping generalizations based on specific instances. Sometimes those instances are flukes, other times they're definitely the result of a defect affecting the entire production range.

One of the problems with global brands is that their level of service quality is often very specific to individual countries or regions. In some areas, it may be an importer/distributor doing the servicing, which may not be up to the service quality elsewhere. Sometimes the problem is a heavy handed approach by global HQ that local subsidiaries are required to follow. Definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration, especially if your photographic work requires a certain degree of uptime reliability.

I think we've all had bad experiences. I've definitely had some with Canon photo equipment too, which is my area of equipment/brand familiarity. However, I'm still a Canon DSLR system user. Despite some of the tempting eye candy from other brands, such as Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, I haven't (yet) been compelled enough to leave Canon, even if they're lagging in sensor development, etc. Some of this is due to gear requirements for my relatively specific shooting needs (field sports). None of the mirrorless systems have fielded competitive AF that simply works AND offer suitable lenses. I guess Nikon would be a DSLR option, yet it seems as much a matter 'of grass is greener' than a real improvement, whatever that would be. But another factor is service support.

There is an aspect in my thinking that makes me nervous about doing a full photographic system switch to a brand such as Sony or Panasonic in part because of their backgrounds as mass market electronics manufacturers. Their history in the photographic market, particularly catering to advanced users and pros, is very limited. They still need to prove (to me) they can adequately support the pro niche, if they intend to pursue it with higher end products. IIRC, Sony and Fuji (?) are opening pro support in the US, but of course, that's just the US...

During the mid 2000s, the CSRs at Canon Canada made the difference, and probably kept me in the system, when their service department actually wasn't all that great, with lots of instances of repairs having to go back one or two more times, or taking a long time, or a limited number of loaners, also shared with the CPS demo pool. Over several years of constructive criticism/feedback and minor consultation, of which I'm sure I was only one of many, Canon Canada totally revamped their CPS service structure with fast ~4-day turnaround, immediate and plentiful loaners, repairs done right the first time most of the time and reasonably priced flat rate charges for most repairs. During the 1DIII 'AF fiasco' my cameras (yes, I even bought two... ) were there fairly often, but they always had loaners. As long as I could shoot, I didn't care if it was my camera or theirs, or how long it took them to fix mine. So despite my mixed feelings about the 1DIII (loved some aspects, others not so much - and still have them as back-up bodies), I persevered and am still a Canon user because their support kept me going when some products occasionally didn't.

Jun 12, 2015 at 01:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.