Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Places to see wolves in the US?

PatRat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Places to see wolves in the US?

I've been to Asheville a hundred times and just found out last weekend that they have two grey wolves
at the Western North Carolina Nature Center Site

They're in a fence but it got me wondering if there was a list somewhere of other places that have wolves.
I'm digging through Google results but am hoping to find a some locations where I can see and
hopefully get some shots (preferably not through a fence). A zoo maybe?

I'm considering a trip to one of the preserves where you pay for a photography session but am looking for
cheaper alternatives as well.

Anyone have recommendations based on personal experience?

Appreciated!

Jun 09, 2015 at 10:16 AM
ychow

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Places to see wolves in the US?

Yellowstone is your best bet...Lamar Valley wolves are most visible.

Jun 09, 2015 at 12:13 PM
mjs624

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Places to see wolves in the US?

Lamar Valley in Yellowstone is the best place to see wolves in the wild but it will normally be from quite a distance.

I'm a long time volunteer at the Endanger Wolf Center in Eureka Missouri, which is just outside of St. Louis. They have photography opportunities that would be through one fence which is very doable. I do it all the time. They have critically endangered Mexican Gray Wolves and Red Wolves, along with African Wild Dogs, Maned Wolves and Swift Foxes.

http://www.endangeredwolfcenter.org/

There are numerous other facilities around the country that do preservation work with wolves too. Plus there are zoos that have wolves. If you want more info PM me, I happy to help

Jun 09, 2015 at 05:01 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Places to see wolves in the US?

Immediately outside the west entrance to Yellowstone is the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. On the main street of that town, a block south of the road into the park, is the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. You can specific info about through Google - they have a website with the expected descriptions and price info. All of their animals are rescues from the wild. For wolves, they are typically rescued because the mother died. For the grizzlies, some are rescued as juveniles while others were taken in because the bear became a problem and rescue avoided destruction. They usually have two packs of wolves in separate enclosures, and offer very nice photo environments. Good any time of year.

There is also a wolf preserve in New Jersey - Lakota Wolf Preserve. I have not been there, but my niece has, and she tells me it's an excellent photo location. I hope to get there this summer.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:46 AM
mlgreg

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Places to see wolves in the US?

The National Zoo has two grey wolves in a nice enclosure where if you are patient you can catch them in a spot where they seem to be in a natural environment (https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaellgregory/11933498934/in/dateposted-public/). With the lens wider open the fence in the background could be blurred out.
There is a wolf sanctuary in Lititz PA.

Jun 10, 2015 at 06:27 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.