Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

Why hasn't any camera manf. built the dovetail into the camera body?

Jun 08, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

Maybe because most camera owners don't use tripods or the Arca-Swiss system and it would add to the cost and weight of the camera? And those that do use them are very picky about their L-brackets/plates and the fit in their favorite clamp/head brands. Also, a large segment of DSLR owners mainly shoot video and video heads are fairly standardized with those long narrow Manfrotto plates, e.g., 500PLONG.

Jun 08, 2015 at 08:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

because everyone has an opinion. and those opinions are as diverse as the day is long.

Jun 08, 2015 at 09:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

rw11 wrote:
Why hasn't any camera manf. built the dovetail into the camera body?

1: Ugly
2: Material weakness
3: I think 1 and 2 cover it.

Jun 09, 2015 at 02:06 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

Paul Mo wrote:
1: Ugly
2: Material weakness
3: I think 1 and 2 cover it.

1- personal opinion (as i said)
2- it could be done using the proper design and material.

Jun 09, 2015 at 07:06 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

Most OEM's are not looking to sell other manufacturers products.

Jun 09, 2015 at 08:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

really, is the Arca Swiss plate/clamp design really "other manufacturers products anymore"?
its more like an open source design.

now i am not saying it should be done. i prefer less integration.

Jun 09, 2015 at 09:38 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

The main issue is "standards" which don't exist. An industry ISOxxxx standard would or should be developed before any manufacturer incorporates an Arca-Swiss style design.

Case in point, if you own an older RRS lever clamp, most other brand plates won't lock down. Not an issue if you use a screw knob clamp since any variation in dovetail width is irrelevant.

So if brand X camera maker put an Arca-Swiss dovetail on your camera that wouldn't lock down using an RRS lever clamp you would be pissed. And since RRS is one of the top brands for clamp and plate manufacturers, excluding them would cause lots of irritation amongst users. Needless to say Kirk or Markins might be annoyed that they were not the 'standard' should brand X choose RRS as the bench mark.

Jun 09, 2015 at 01:18 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

sjms wrote:
really, is the Arca Swiss plate/clamp design really "other manufacturers products anymore"?
its more like an open source design.

now i am not saying it should be done. i prefer less integration.

The way it's currently set up is more "open source". 3rd party can create any type of plate they choose for attachment to the camera, rather than 3rd party conforming to whatever system the manufacturer chose to ship the camera with.

Jun 09, 2015 at 01:31 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

What would happen to Manfrotto if they did this?

Jun 09, 2015 at 01:55 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

they all include screw thread mounts & the reinforcement for that is nearly the same as for a dovetail (which can include a female screw thread too)

Jun 09, 2015 at 03:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

ontime wrote:
The way it's currently set up is more "open source". 3rd party can create any type of plate they choose for attachment to the camera, rather than 3rd party conforming to whatever system the manufacturer chose to ship the camera with.

the "open source" is the base structure design that must be followed in order to fit all clamps. so as long as you comply with that and it fits your product its good. a camera manufacturer can do it in its structure as they wish as any other maker as long as it complies

Jun 09, 2015 at 04:59 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

It comes down to there being little or no economic benefit for the camera manufacturer, because, while a "nice touch" on top of anything else, it really does not (and should not) drive system purchasing decisions.

Things you will never hear:

"Yes, the new Nikon/Sony have a much worse dynamic range than Canon, but even though Nikon/Sony has disappointed AGAIN with the sensor, looks like they have an integrated Arca-Swiss plate on the body, so THAT is the camera I am going to get."

"Canon makes the best lenses in the 70-200 and 100/200-400 ranges, and their autofocus system is simply the best on the planet ... BUT because they do not include integrated Arca-Swiss plates on their bodies/lenses, I am sticking with Nikon"

"I just switched ship from Canon to Nikon because I wanted the integrated Arca-Swiss plate on the body/lenses"

"If you are trying to decide what system to get into, Nikon or Canon or Sony or other, you need to consider whether or not you want an integrated Arca-Swiss plate on your body."

"I tell all folks trying to get into wildlife photography: the most important things to consider are: long lens selection/quality, autofocus performance, high-ISO sensor noise, low-ISO dynamic range, and whether or not the bodies/lenses have integrated Arca-Swiss plates"

Jun 09, 2015 at 09:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

mabidally wrote:
What would happen to Manfrotto if they did this?

nothing.

Jun 09, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

Because only a tiny, tiny percentage of camera users use the system.

However a lot of people use 1/4" screw threads on stills cameras and 3/8" threads on video cameras.

So that makes a lot more sense.

Jun 10, 2015 at 09:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why don't cameras come with Arca-Swiss style dovetails?

rw11 wrote:
they all include screw thread mounts & the reinforcement for that is nearly the same as for a dovetail (which can include a female screw thread too)

I have many DSLRs, but none with a screw thread mount on the left side where the L bracket dovetail should be present.

EBH

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.