Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I had a short flirt with the V1.

I bought essentially two of everything. I am a fan of bounced flash but sometimes I have nothing to bounce from. The mag bounce seemed like a no brainer. Same with the collapsible snoot and grids and gels. All well thought out.

The magsphere not sure how or when I'll use it but I figured why not.

How are you guys liking the modifiers?

Edited on Jun 08, 2015 at 05:53 PM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2015 at 04:47 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I've looked at these a few times and can't seem to pull the trigger. I know they're great, I just can't get past the price. Problem is, I would need three sets to effectively use them.

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:24 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

RKTodd wrote:
I've looked at these a few times and can't seem to pull the trigger. I know they're great, I just can't get past the price. Problem is, I would need three sets to effectively use them.

The more you buy the more you save. I think the cart automatically adjusts the savings.

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:36 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I love MagMod....I am sad that I have to buy them all again due to them being left at a venue. The higher than average price hurts when you have to pay for them a second time :-(

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:38 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I found them too big and too heavy.

So I cut mine in half and added velcro. Now they fit perfectly on my flashes (Yongnuo), are smaller, way lighter (no magnets) and costs half the price.

I was no big fan of the magnets either, they got stuck on everything. I still have one magnet on each half, tough, so that I can stuck them onto each other for tighter grid.

heiko

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:46 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I just bought the package with the MagSphere. I had a sudden fright when I realized you need to keep these neat modifiers a fair distance from any HD. Those are some strong magnets!

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:47 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

heikoM wrote:
I found them too big and too heavy.

So I cut mine in half and added velcro. Now they fit perfectly on my flashes (Yongnuo), are smaller, way lighter (no magnets) and costs half the price.

I was no big fan of the magnets either, they got stuck on everything. I still have one magnet on each half, tough, so that I can stuck them onto each other for tighter grid.

heiko

lol. This post made me chuckle even if you're 100% serious. Whatever gets the job done, I say.

Jun 08, 2015 at 05:51 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I didn't buy the sphere as I couldn't identify a use for it, but I have the bounce and I do like it very much though it is a lot heavier than my bounce cards, it is VERY efficient. I bought more flashes this year so now I have 4 sets of mag mods and getting lots of use out of them.

Jun 12, 2015 at 03:11 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

So the point of the Mag Mod is to grid the flash to have a focused light. Can't you just zoom your flash to do that? Why add additional gear that you will need to carry and worry about? And spend money on? I'd like for someone to convince me that mag mods made a big difference in improving the photos that you can achieve. Can someone post some sample photos?

Jun 12, 2015 at 04:02 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

XPO239 wrote:
So the point of the Mag Mod is to grid the flash to have a focused light. Can't you just zoom your flash to do that? Why add additional gear that you will need to carry and worry about? And spend money on? I'd like for someone to convince me that mag mods made a big difference in improving the photos that you can achieve. Can someone post some sample photos?

I did in this thread about a year or so ago. But the photos were linked from my Zenfolio account. That account has since then expired. Suffice to say, it is a huge difference: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309163/0

Jun 12, 2015 at 04:24 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

XPO239 wrote:

you get a much tighter lightcone. Say, you want to brighten up just the wedding couple with a flash at the reception, but not the others in the room.

heiko

Jun 12, 2015 at 06:36 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I dont always use flash...but when I do I use mag mod

They are actually super useful. I do not do anything crazy but the grid is great. I have also used the gels occasionally.
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CSwed26.jpg
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/amandatommy37.jpg
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/JessaJoe11.jpg

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:24 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I bought one magmod set and while it's super handy with the gel slider thing and I do like it, it takes up so much space in my bag that I didn't get any more. I went with some opteka universal honeycomb grids with velcro attachments from Amazon. They pack away neatly and do the grid job pretty well. Plus they were like $10 each.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:47 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

A huge advantage of the grid is that there's no spill, making the flash virtually unnoticed by guests when you shoot indoors.

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:45 AM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

Nice photos Doug. But I don't see anything that can't be done without adding additional gear.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I need to borrow a set from someone to test them out.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

I'm a big fan of them for reception lighting, not much for portraits unless they are just a hair light. I don't like the hard shadows that is the nature of speed lights, but they're useful in certain situations if you need a quick fix. .

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

DannyBostwick wrote:
I'm a big fan of them for reception lighting, not much for portraits unless they are just a hair light. I don't like the hard shadows that is the nature of speed lights, but they're useful in certain situations if you need a quick fix. .

I have always loved grids, I've used them heavily on my studio lights for years. I'm so glad someone came along with a way to easily and securely attach them to a speed lights. I've had tried several other brands over the years and this is the best system ever.

Hard light is the nature of any light source that is unmodified, it's not just the nature of speed lights. Using grids as the modifier on your main light for portraits takes a little practice in learning how to use them best. Soft boxes and umbrellas are easy, some call them the lazy man's light modifiers because they wrap the light so much that you don't have to think much.

Doug's examples above are great examples of how to use grids (magmods or other brands) for portraits. You get hard shadows with fast light fall-off. So you get a somewhat similar look to a fresnel light but a whole lot more convenient to use.

Jun 14, 2015 at 08:51 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

XPO239 wrote:
Nice photos Doug. But I don't see anything that can't be done without adding additional gear.

I am not saying you couldn't get the same look with a bunch of other stuff or even zooming the flash but the MagMod makes it super easy and I can also support a good friend using them too. I am not a huge flash guy so for me they are good enough. You can get super crazy with them but that is kind of beyond me.

The grids are cool because I can just slap it on and have my wife hold the flash without having to change settings which is nice because I would most likely forget to change them back.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I bought a bunch of mag mods today!

Thanks for your input Doug. When you're in Cali, would love you to shoot our family session with your film camera that gives that crazy bokeh.

Jun 14, 2015 at 01:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.